Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-18-2022, 06:53 PM

Default Ammo, reloading supply shortage.

Retailers that rely on sales of this stuff must be hurting. Nothing out there.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-18-2022, 08:09 PM

If you don't have what you need to get you one or three years down the road good luck to you....
I feel for gun shops....supply might just put many of them out of business....cant sell what you cant stock... lots of businesses in the same boat. Dealerships, parts shops.... things are tough..

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2022, 08:28 PM

I think it was about this time last winter when my dad and I started loading up the back of the truck with reloading components and ammunition.

To a degree we are still buying anything we can get our hands on that we know will get used up in the future for hunting/shooting in our firearms.

A lot of the finds are from fellow outdoorsman who have certain types of bullets/powder they have no need for anymore so they’re willing to part with it.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:49 PM

The shortages are not only in Canada the US is in the same boat

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...barnes-bullets

After the last drought I stocked up enough for at one zombie apocalypse possible two
Old 01-18-2022, 09:30 PM

I have a pretty good stash but down to my last 300 Fed215m primers and haven’t seen any in a long time. I also haven’t seen any Nosler 25 cal 110gr accubonds on the shelf in probably 2 years. When you see an opportunity you sure need to jump on it.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:30 PM

Production and hoarding in the US has caused a shortage

A guy i guided from Texas had my email. Late 2019 he Proudly sent me pics of his garage.......he had.purchased one million rounds of .223/.22/10mm/ and 12g

Not to be outdone, his neighboring rancher purchased 10 million rounds. Sent me pics of them using a bloody forklift to stack it in his shop

So, two rich dorks from Texas = 11 million rounds of ammo.....

So between these idiotic acts (of which those two are hardly alone) and decreased production, we have what we have
Old 01-18-2022, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Production and hoarding in the US has caused a shortage

A guy i guided from Texas had my email. Late 2019 he Proudly sent me pics of his garage.......he had.purchased one million rounds of .223/.22/10mm/ and 12g

Not to be outdone, his neighboring rancher purchased 10 million rounds. Sent me pics of them using a bloody forklift to stack it in his shop

So, two rich dorks from Texas = 11 million rounds of ammo.....

So between these idiotic acts (of which those two are hardly alone) and decreased production, we have what we have
Toilet paper and ammo, the North American Way. Horde the important stuff
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-19-2022, 05:53 AM

Yup the shooting sports are going to take a beating for the next couple years, ammo and reloading supplies are hard to find and expensive if you do find it, as a competitive trap shooter I burn up 10,000 rounds of target loads a year, with the price and availability I doubt that will be the case this summer, still don't have the balance of our back order from federal that we placed in Oct of 2020, and they have asked for our booking order for 2022 so I'm not holding my breath.

I shot up the last of my 12 ga reloads and components last summer so have to rely on factory loads now, it's a tough game out there and it's going to get tougher by all indications, unless I miss my guess.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Yup the shooting sports are going to take a beating for the next couple years, ammo and reloading supplies are hard to find and expensive if you do find it, as a competitive trap shooter I burn up 10,000 rounds of target loads a year, with the price and availability I doubt that will be the case this summer, still don't have the balance of our back order from federal that we placed in Oct of 2020, and they have asked for our booking order for 2022 so I'm not holding my breath.

I shot up the last of my 12 ga reloads and components last summer so have to rely on factory loads now, it's a tough game out there and it's going to get tougher by all indications, unless I miss my guess.
I have over 12,000 rounds of shotshells for skeet and sporting clays, and enough components to load another 2000, so I will make it through this year, but soon I will be buying whatever I can find, rather than looking for deals on the shotshells that I prefer to shoot. I knew the shortage was coming, but shotshells do take up a fair amount of room, so I don't have as much as I would like. For centerfire, I am good for several years, so that isn't a concern for me, but the people that didn't plan ahead will not be happy.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:25 AM

I decided to scale back my range shooting cartridges , the 308 likely won't get shot much this year nor will the 6MMAI.
The .223 and the 6mmBR will do most of the shooting as well as a lot more , and I plan on doing a lot more cast bullet shooting . smaller charges of smokeless powder last quite a bit longer in my cast bullet rifles
Cat
Old 01-19-2022, 08:43 AM
Shooting Xs

Default Ammunition shortage

Here's an interested read on the subject.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/...bout-inflation
Old 01-19-2022, 08:44 AM

Have enough 105 gr 6mm Hybrids for probably two years. A dealer told me Bergers wharehouse/s in AZ are empty. Produced and gone right away.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:45 AM

There's plenty of supply around the country. Bullets, cases, primer, and powder. If you know where to look. At least the stuff I use. And I load for 9 different calibers.

Most of the stuff I use is long range precision stuff, with a lot of cowboy calibers.

And don't ask. I won't post them publicly.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:50 AM

Is Varget hard to come by at the present time. I haven't been out checking shelves.

Last edited by David Henry; 01-19-2022 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:50 AM

Another good point

The shortage isn’t only caused by high demand. Raw materials and manufacturing have also been limited. It begins all of the way back at the mines for raw materials. When the economy shut down, so did mining operations for everything from copper, to lead, and most other raw materials. Some of these raw materials come from overseas where mining operations were shut down by major COVID 19 outbreaks.

https://www.titanreloading.com/blog/...ding-supplies/
Old 01-19-2022, 08:56 AM

My son burns Varget in his 243 Tikka pushing varmint bullets, so I always keep an eye out for a pound or two when I get a chance. Saw on Gunpost that a guy in B.C. wanted $130 for a 3/4 full one pound can of Varget. Yikes !!
Old 01-19-2022, 09:14 AM

Default Supplys

[QUOTE=6MT;4472989]There's plenty of supply around the country. Bullets, cases, primer, and powder. If you know where to look. At least the stuff I use. And I load for 9 different calibers.

Most of the stuff I use is long range precision stuff, with a lot of cowboy calibers.

Plenty of supply around the country ?? That's good news , what country ?
Just joking , but most i speak with can't get what they are looking for.....Varget , RL26 etc to name just a few items.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
There's plenty of supply around the country. Bullets, cases, primer, and powder. If you know where to look. At least the stuff I use. And I load for 9 different calibers.

And don't ask. I won't post them publicly.
The Third World seems to be awash in guns and ammo.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 01-19-2022, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
Plenty of supply around the country ?? That's good news , what country ?
Just joking , but most i speak with can't get what they are looking for.....Varget , RL26 etc to name just a few items.
Cabelas and Bass Pro has had Varget for a few weeks now. Granted...it's very expensive. And only available in one pounders.

EDIT: I stand corrected. Cabelas is now out of Varget.
Old 01-19-2022, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
Cabelas and Bass Pro has had Varget for a few weeks now. Granted...it's very expensive. And only available in one pounders.

EDIT: I stand corrected. Cabelas is now out of Varget.
When supplies arrive, many are sold out in days, or even hours, if you aren't checking stock daily, you will often find out too late to buy any.
Old 01-19-2022, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
When supplies arrive, many are sold out in days, or even hours, if you aren't checking stock daily, you will often find out too late to buy any.
I agree. There's a certain amount of luck involved in staying stocked up on what one needs.
Old 01-19-2022, 10:08 PM

This Monday I was at BassPro Calgary checking for .224 and .308 bullets. Nothing. There were about +/-100 boxes of bullets hidden in some corner. Mostly 338 and other not so popular weights and calibers.
Old 01-19-2022, 11:06 PM

Phoned a retailer today his Ad said they had CCI 450 primers. Ahhh nope sorry won't get anything till June at the earliest. Wish folks would up date there ads from time to time.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-20-2022, 05:16 AM

Default At least

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Toilet paper and ammo, the North American Way. Horde the important stuff
You can use the ammo to protect your toilet paper
Old 01-20-2022, 03:56 PM

While I agree to this statement in principle, like some have said there are supplies out there.

I have sat on the fence of starting to reload for years, and knew that I want to get into it. Should have started buying the supplies little by little years back, but hey, hind sight.

Any how, I have now started to buy the supplies that I require to start, and granted I have to look a little harder for the stuff, especially since not all retailers will ship "explosives" now that canpar is out of the picture.

Have to be a little less of "I want to use this bullet, and more of I can get these, so these will do" attitude. And yes granted I may be paying a bit more, but hey, I can make ammo for calibers that you can not find any loaded ammo for at any retailers.

Powders, primers are out there. Just received 2 Kg of hard to find VihtaVuori.

All I have left to acquire is a press, powder measure and bullets and the fun can begin. And know where to find all 3, but the visa is in overdrive right now from all the other stuff.
Old 01-20-2022, 04:25 PM

Not the best time to start out reloading, last year even presses were hard to find, big retailers were out of them, which is the first time I'd seen that, excepting Forster, for which that is a common issue, no stock. A lot of places down south that used to ship here, have stopped export shipping, that doesn't help seeing as we can order some components now. Stuff shows up here and there, makes for a long search at times, but, if you are patient and persistent, it can be had, just be flexible and know what you are buying. I'm not impressed with the number of reloading component suppliers that have started up or are making ammo these days, like Nosler, Berger, Sierra, their stuff that was sold for components seems to nearly all be going to their own ammo production now, and they don't make their own primers, so they and all the small mfgrs of ammo eat into that supply pretty hard.
Old 01-20-2022, 05:17 PM

Just go to Ukraine at that new powder plant the Canadian tax payers are is building up there…
Old 01-20-2022, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Just go to Ukraine at that new powder plant the Canadian tax payers are is building up there…
It may be leveled before it is ever completed. Target practice for a T-14. Trudope has been doing a bit of muscle flexing lately though, perhaps he has Putin a bit nervous and he will cut a swath around the new factory. Don't wanna stir up a hornets nest with the Canadians

Last edited by MountainTi; 01-20-2022 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-20-2022, 06:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
It may be leveled before it is ever completed. Target practice for a T-14. Trudope has been doing a bit of muscle flexing lately though, perhaps he has Putin a bit nervous and he will cut a swath around the new factory. Don't wanna stir up a hornets nest with the Canadians
Funny
In that neck or the woods. Canada is very insignificant
Old 01-20-2022, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post

Putin would give Trudeau as much respect as he would give a mosquito.