Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-18-2022, 10:15 AM

Default High power air rifles

So since I was a kid pellet guns have been my favourite guns. I got my first one at 9 when I could hardly break the barrel and I fell in love. I’ve been watching a chap called hunters Vermin for close to ten years now on YouTube. Highly recommend him if you like calm rabbit hunting. He uses some pretty fancy air rifles. It’s a dream to get one one day, particularly the weihrauch 97. Anyone have any experience with them? Particularly in purchasing higher quality air guns in Canada. I’m thinking it’s going to have to be online unfortunately

I’m hoping to make this my snowshoe hare and grouse gun, not cause it’s superior to a rim fire just to fulfill some childhood dreams.
Old 01-18-2022, 11:26 AM

D&L airguns out of bc have weihrauch also dainas, both brands are great,
go with a .22 if hunting rabbits, the .177 just leave a little to be desired, sure they go faster but you have be so precise that any little thing can ruin your shot. i try sticking to air rifles that list 1100fps or 1000 fps most end up around 950fps, keeping your pellet stable in flight, the faster ones breaking the sound barrier make a shock wave behind pellet that can affect its flight, ie miss target. the .22 is good all rounder, .25 is even better. try avoid fancy ultra light pellets, some are so light its almost like dry fireing you air rifle and that can damage your seals and piston. dont want ruin your fancy $500+ rifle trying get a few extra fps. can buy molds to cast your own .22 pellets and .25 if your into casting. try stick to head shots even with the .22 the .25 gets you into body shots but thick winter fur and range from target will definitely be a deciding factor if you make a clean kill. i know there is utube videos with guys dropping monster jacks at 100 yrds but id avoid that, keep it to 50yrds or less. 25yrds is even better use a decent scope made for air rifles, there recoil is different, more of a pull then a push , cross bow scopes work well.
you could look at a 30 , 45 , 50 cal air rifle and have a do all , then can drop deer also. but my lord the price for those is crazy. oh yes the shipping and support from d&l is great iv been useing them for over 20 yrs now. great group of ppl, there web site is umm rotten, out dated i find, but can just call once you find what you want and they will answer everything.
hope this was helpfull. or parts any ways.
gl in your air gun adventures.
Old 01-18-2022, 11:27 AM

I got my last one from Canada Shooting supply, a beeman R9. It was very nice, but somehow my Diana 34 just felt right. Like you I think it was more like the Czech rifles I had. The R9, was faster, prettier, and the better built air rifle, but 34 is the sweet spot for me. I had a 36 when I was a punk and foolishly sold it, it was the R9 equivalent in build quality. At least I believe it was a 36? It was a 34 with better wood, hand checkering, and all metal. That thing was bloody accurate. As stated, .22 for small game. Plus they are easier to pick up with adult fingers lol
Old 01-18-2022, 11:55 AM

I had a Diana 34, then an HW97, and now I have an Air Arms TX200. The 34 was a great rifle for the money, the HW97 was more accurate and I like the TX200 most of all. With JSB Heavy pellets the TX200 in 22 cal produces around 650fps, and it works well on ground squirrels and pigeons.
Old 01-18-2022, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrossbow View Post
D&L airguns out of bc have weihrauch also dainas, both brands are great,
go with a .22 if hunting rabbits, the .177 just leave a little to be desired, sure they go faster but you have be so precise that any little thing can ruin your shot. i try sticking to air rifles that list 1100fps or 1000 fps most end up around 950fps, keeping your pellet stable in flight, the faster ones breaking the sound barrier make a shock wave behind pellet that can affect its flight, ie miss target. the .22 is good all rounder, .25 is even better. try avoid fancy ultra light pellets, some are so light its almost like dry fireing you air rifle and that can damage your seals and piston. dont want ruin your fancy $500+ rifle trying get a few extra fps. can buy molds to cast your own .22 pellets and .25 if your into casting. try stick to head shots even with the .22 the .25 gets you into body shots but thick winter fur and range from target will definitely be a deciding factor if you make a clean kill. i know there is utube videos with guys dropping monster jacks at 100 yrds but id avoid that, keep it to 50yrds or less. 25yrds is even better use a decent scope made for air rifles, there recoil is different, more of a pull then a push , cross bow scopes work well.
you could look at a 30 , 45 , 50 cal air rifle and have a do all , then can drop deer also. but my lord the price for those is crazy. oh yes the shipping and support from d&l is great iv been useing them for over 20 yrs now. great group of ppl, there web site is umm rotten, out dated i find, but can just call once you find what you want and they will answer everything.
hope this was helpfull. or parts any ways.
gl in your air gun adventures.
I’ll be sticking to 22 or 177 for availability of pellets and guns I think, thanks for the recommendation on d&l the site did have me a bit dubious but most gun shops have bad sites. I figured 50 would be pushing accuracy limit of the light pellets anyway and the woods I hunt in seldom offer shots that far anyway.
Old 01-18-2022, 01:06 PM

D&L, Airgun Source, Canada Shooting supply are probably the biggest airgun dealers in Canada. After that there’s Airgun heads, airgun archery fun, airgun plus, there’s also a number of gun stores that sell the typical brands.

If you’re looking at springers Air Arms, weihrauch and Diana tend to be the top of the list, some walthers too.

.25 cal is pcp territory and is as expensive as shooting 22lr
Old 01-18-2022, 01:54 PM

Default Stoeger

I have the Stoeger X10 in .177, she sure is accurate once you find the right pellet.
It is sighted in at the 20-40yd sweet spot. I have shot it out to 100yds target shooting and still dead on with about a 4' height adjustment.
Waited till it went on sale at Cabelas, regular price $299, got it for $199.
WDF
Old 01-18-2022, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Da Fisherman View Post
I have the Stoeger X10 in .177, she sure is accurate once you find the right pellet.
It is sighted in at the 20-40yd sweet spot. I have shot it out to 100yds target shooting and still dead on with about a 4' height adjustment.
Waited till it went on sale at Cabelas, regular price $299, got it for $199.
WDF
I have the x20 .177 and nothing but good things to say about it.
Old 09-11-2023, 12:05 AM

I have a few guns. I used a hw97 found it very accurate but lacking in distance at .22, I have two pcp guns n find them longer range .22 hunter killers. The Benjamin cayden is really nice. V powerful stupid accurate n great in .22. It is my go to gopher killer out to 50 yrs. Ild like to try a springer with this power n accuracy but do not think it is possible.
Old 09-12-2023, 05:47 PM

I have a Diana 350 magnum .22 . Heavy but accurate and hits hard, German quality.