Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-21-2021, 10:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
if you have one that actually works is trying to sell it.
You really need to check out the listings and prices on Gunbroker. Since Remington quit making them the prices are through the roof. Remlins, JM's it doesn't seem to matter.

SBL's are listed at well over $2K US and they have been selling. Some much higher.
Old 12-21-2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
I read that last night, they said the price is going to be around $1395.00 US, is that right I wonder? That would make it a pricey gun here in Canada.
Called a local dealer and he didn’t have prices but said should be lower than msrp. Have a good buddy who has an FFL and have him looking if his suppliers can get a couple. I know 3 people I work with who all want one. I’m pretty much accepting of the fact I’ll buy the first one I see as I think they will make them a bit of a limited run initially. Especially with a pre Christmas release. Either way I’ll report what the going price is down here when I find one.
Old 12-21-2021, 07:19 PM

Good hunting or bear defence rounds can be loaded to very reasonable recoil levels yet still perform well on game.
Loads from 1100-1600fps with heavy 400-450gr hard cast have plenty of oomph down range yet are easy on the shoulder.
The new ruger Marlins look great from what I see..I like some of the changes they have done..cant wait to see some of thier other offerings.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 12-21-2021, 07:24 PM

Ruger tends to 'over-build' their firearms, I am sure they will produce an excellent version of the Marlin M1895's.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 01-04-2022, 09:20 PM

Well through a buddy I have one spoken for as soon as it arrives at the dealer. Price is going to literally be msrp. Kind of choked about that until I looked online at auction sites. Prices start right around 900 and after 30 bids are over 3000$! Still hoping I bump one in a store for a street price but if need be msrp it is!
Old 01-05-2022, 03:41 AM

I have been thinking about thinning out the gun case for a while. Some of them are 45/70.

I went on the Guns International website and checked out a few prices and was rather surprised. $3000 for a new Marlin is a lot of money.
Old 01-05-2022, 07:43 AM

From that Outdoor Life article, that new rifle really looks good !!!!! I love the red bullseye and the spiral bolt look! Too bad I have a Remlin or I'd be interested in buying a Ruglin.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:09 AM

Quite a few buy now prices at 3500$. Nice rifle but for that price you could have a lot of custom work done to one. I even saw one that Wild West Guns had done their thing too that wasn’t anywhere near that 3500. Guess the market will bear what people are willing to pay!
Old 01-15-2022, 08:34 PM

talked with a local dealer a week or so about these new rifles and he said his cost is $1500 on them,,, and wasnt sure when they would get any. i guess time will tell
Old 01-15-2022, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo1010 View Post
talked with a local dealer a week or so about these new rifles and he said his cost is $1500 on them,,, and wasnt sure when they would get any. i guess time will tell
Wow. I have a Marlin 1895 in 45/70 with a nice scope setup which I was thinking of selling. In hindsight being too lazy to do anything is working out.
Old 01-15-2022, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo1010 View Post
Sounds about the same as here. Any shop I go into I ask and they have no idea they’ve even started shipping or no clue when they will get one. Waiting game now!
Old 01-19-2022, 11:18 AM

Here’s a comparison with the new offering
https://youtu.be/lpxriCVhciA
Old 03-02-2022, 05:21 PM

Buddy just picked up the new 1895SBL. Paid around $1100USD. I'm headed up to grab mine as it's sitting there with my name on it. Sure hope nobody "accidently" misplaced the tag... Will let everyone know in about 16 hours if all goes well!
Old 05-17-2022, 07:07 PM

Well ruger is now shipping another 1895, a trapper version with shorter barrel skinner sights no rail and 5/1 instead of 6/1 capacity. Had I not already gotten the sbl this is the one I would have preferred. Now for them to make a 336 in 35rem and I’ll be poor again!
Old 05-17-2022, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Well ruger is now shipping another 1895, a trapper version with shorter barrel skinner sights no rail and 5/1 instead of 6/1 capacity. Had I not already gotten the sbl this is the one I would have preferred. Now for them to make a 336 in 35rem and I’ll be poor again!
I love the trapper, when i was looking i ended up going with the dark instead just because it came with the sights and rail wheras the trapper is sights only and it was 400$ cheaper locally...im a huge fan of the stubby 16" barrel..
How does your ruger made sbl shoot? I have yet to see one in person....looks like they did a great job according to all the reviews i have seen
Old 05-17-2022, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
I love the trapper, when i was looking i ended up going with the dark instead just because it came with the sights and rail wheras the trapper is sights only and it was 400$ cheaper locally...im a huge fan of the stubby 16" barrel..
How does your ruger made sbl shoot? I have yet to see one in person....looks like they did a great job according to all the reviews i have seen
Ruger did it Justice! Shot it next to a friends remlin and the fit and finish is heads and tails better! I have 2 complaints, 1 is you can pull the trigger and the hammer will fall when the safety is on. I am not a big fan of that. The 2nd is the rear Peep sight is so large as is the front sight post it’s hard to be accurate. I am certain it will shoot better than I ever can but I’d need a red dot or scope to improve. At 50 yards the front sight post completely covers a 6” diamond so hard to be accurate. But I got it for investigating bear attacks and what not so shots outside of 25 yards will be minimal except at the range.
Old 05-17-2022, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Ruger did it Justice! Shot it next to a friends remlin and the fit and finish is heads and tails better! I have 2 complaints, 1 is you can pull the trigger and the hammer will fall when the safety is on. I am not a big fan of that. The 2nd is the rear Peep sight is so large as is the front sight post it’s hard to be accurate. I am certain it will shoot better than I ever can but I’d need a red dot or scope to improve. At 50 yards the front sight post completely covers a 6” diamond so hard to be accurate. But I got it for investigating bear attacks and what not so shots outside of 25 yards will be minimal except at the range.
My JM Marlins with safeties will drop the hammer when you pull the trigger on safe. That’s actually a good thing so you can dry fire without striking the firing pin. As far as the sights - try sighting like a handgun with a 6 o’clock hold so the front sight does not cover the target. I have 65 year old eyes that struggle with irons, and even I can shoot 3-4” groups at 100 using peeps this way. Agree with you that a red dot would be great!
Old 05-18-2022, 12:03 AM

Recent discussion with a vendor, where I have my name on a list for the Ruger offered no delivery dates in sight.

It was shared that a few that were available were said to be auctioned off at higher pricing than he was prepared to pay wholesale and in turn pass down to retail.

Sounds like we will be waiting a while...
Old 05-18-2022, 05:38 AM

Someone on Gunpost is trying to sell a Ruger made 1895SBL for $4000 lol. I’m in the market for one (another one, sold mine a few years ago which was dumb), but anything north of $2k is insanity, even for the new ones. They’re nice, but not THAT nice.
Old 05-18-2022, 09:39 AM

Quote:
My Dark had the same rear sight as yours but my front sight is a wide blade with center white stripe. Your i believe is a wide blade with a fiberoptic green dot at the top. With my set up i use a std 6 o'clock hold and focus on the very top of the post. I could easily hit a 8" gong off hand out to 75-80 yds but at 100 i had a terrible time staying on the plate. I found the ghost ring to be too big and crude for accuracy at that range. My fix was to tap the ghost ring to accept insert apertures from lyman or skinner. After threading in an aperture i can easily hit a 8" plate regularly now and from a supported position i can even hit at 150 over 50% of the time. Tap size is 12-40. It fits right inside the ghost ring perfectly just cutting threads so you dont have to open it up at all... if i am using the rifle as a CQ bear protection id just take out the insert and use the ghost ring..for hunting i screw in the aperture....