Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-13-2013, 03:52 PM

Default Converting a high cap. mag to 10 rds

Fellow members,

I'm wondering if I can order some pistol magazines from the US and convert them to a 10 rounds mag myself to comply with Canadian regs.? Is it legal, or the mags has to be 10 rds already to cross the border?
There is a company in the US who sells 10 round mags by inserting a block, is this enough or it still must be pinned?
The problem is there is no factory 10 round mag for the pistol I'm planning to purchase. I can get 19 round mags and a block which can be installed to limit the capacity to 10, but I'm not sure if it is legal to do?
Thanks!
Old 01-13-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hun-Ter View Post
Fellow members,

I'm wondering if I can order some pistol magazines from the US and convert them to a 10 rounds mag myself to comply with Canadian regs.? Is it legal, or the mags has to be 10 rds already to cross the border?
Not legal. Must be converted before entry into Canada................and gun parts are controlled items that may not be exportable from the US without documentation that many sources refuse to deal with. The alteration must be "permanent" in nature........a block which can be easily removed doesn't meet the requirement.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:14 PM

Not sure that is entirely true ehntr. I seem to recall some (Canadian) businesses were permitted to pin over capacity magazines after/as part of the importation process. Could be mistaken.

However, for the purposes of the OP's question: no, you cannot do it yourself.

May we ask what it is that you are planning on buying (in Canada?) that does not have (Canadian) legal magazines available?
Old 01-13-2013, 04:17 PM

Oh, and please don't call them "high capacity" magazines. They are standard capacity magazines (they are issued that way with the firearm) and the 'Canadian legal' versions are actually reduced capacity magazines.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Not sure that is entirely true ehntr. I seem to recall some (Canadian) businesses were permitted to pin over capacity magazines after/as part of the importation process. Could be mistaken.

However, for the purposes of the OP's question: no, you cannot do it yourself.

May we ask what it is that you are planning on buying (in Canada?) that does not have (Canadian) legal magazines available?
The OP is not a business. An individual cannot be in possession of "high cap" magazines. They are prohibited.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:29 PM

I think if the businesses are ITAR then they could pin them here.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 01-13-2013, 05:02 PM

Thank you for your responses.
I'm buying a new Springfield XDm, which comes with 2 mags. They are 19 rds pinned down to 10. I'd like to get more mags to it, but apparently even in the US the 10 rds are not available. They are selling the blocks which can be epoxied into the mag permanently to comply with California laws. I was thinking to do the same, but unfortunately it would make me a criminal here.....

Thanks again!
Old 01-13-2013, 05:36 PM

What caliber are you looking at? I just did a quick yahoo search and found numerous results for 10round XDm mags from 9mm to .45acp.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
What caliber are you looking at? I just did a quick yahoo search and found numerous results for 10round XDm mags from 9mm to .45acp.
Fordtruckin:
Thanks for your response.
I'm looking for 9mm mags for the XDm. I know 10 rds are available for the .45 but I could only find 19 round for the XDm. Note, the XD mags won't fit in the XDm.
Could you send me a link to the website where I can order few?
Thanks a lot!
Old 02-03-2013, 08:04 PM

So if I find mags converted to 10 rds in the US (for the California market) can I legally import them into Canada?
There is a company who is replacing the follower to a modified one, which has a long bottom part, it will reach the floor plate when 10 rds of ammo loaded, another company glues a block to the floor plate - same results. Would these be legal in Canada? I searched everywhere but no luck to find these. There is no factory 10 round mag for the 9mm XDm.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:11 PM

Default Law

I wrote and asked a similar question to the CFC folks, but with a slight twist. I asked if I could bring in magazine components, ie. a follower, spring and empty magazine all as parts. A 2 page reply went on to explain magazine capacities and the law in Canada for completed magazines, but they would not say I could not do this! Many IPSC shooters have an assortment of magazine components to take with them to the US on shoots, where they assemble and use as needed. In Canada you cannot have a magazine over 10 rounds, but you are certainly permitted to have all the pieces. One of those common loop holes in our system.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:30 AM

Earl,

Thank you very much for the great info!

Tags
capacity, magazine