Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 11-04-2012, 06:24 AM
Got2fish

Default What flies would you like to tie?

My mind started to turn after doing the tutorial on how to tie up some crystal meth. I was wondering if I could maybe help out new fly fishers with tying some flie during the hard water season. You post what fly you would like to tie up and I or others on the board will make up an SBS (step by step). Kinda like an online course. Anybody else interested in this? It seems like a good way to get new fly tyers into the sport.

I have no issues tying up any pattern, though I tend to stay away from Classic Atlantic Salmon flies, though I do dable in it once in a while.

Anyways just throwing that out there seeing if there's any interest.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:41 PM

I would be happy to tie up and do a step by step for almost any fly pattern out there. I have done several in the past.

One tip for those doing a step by step. Use a light blue or light green background to put behind your vice when taking pictures of your fly. It makes the fly stand out.

You can only upload 8 pics in each posting, so make sure they are the one's you want.

Rob

Last edited by Kingfisher; 11-05-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Got2fish

It would be great to make a sticky for fly patterns, a quick little SBS and couple pics. Would helpful to new comers to fly tying.

Hum i think couple people are thinking the same thing.

Please admin, couple you make a fly pattern sticky?
Old 11-06-2012, 03:44 PM

I'd be interested in a streamer using angel hair. Picked up a bunch for tying bull/pike flys. But am findingnit a bit difficult to work with.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Got2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by oizo View Post
I'd be interested in a streamer using angel hair. Picked up a bunch for tying bull/pike flys. But am findingnit a bit difficult to work with.
The trick with angel hair is to tie it down mid way through the hank of hair, and fild it over. Don't over kill the thread wraps.

What type of flyare you trying to tie? I use angel hair for my RS-2 pattern. Great winging material.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:34 PM

Smile I heard what you said about salmon flys

BUT a green machine is not an old classic and I'd appreciate seeing how one is tied. Thank you both.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Got2fish

Back east this is an atlantic dry fly. Also known as a Bomber. Sometimes tied with kip tail wing, wulff style.

Ok keep it traditional? Or change up thr colors. Your call.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2fish View Post
The trick with angel hair is to tie it down mid way through the hank of hair, and fild it over. Don't over kill the thread wraps.

What type of flyare you trying to tie? I use angel hair for my RS-2 pattern. Great winging material.
Ya I was tying it that way. Was just a baitfish, basically just tied a clump on folded it back wrapped it then moved up the shank. Next time will probably not use the dumbell eyes, and glue on sticky ones as the head did not turnout as hoped.

I would be interested in any other patterns using angel hair as I have quite a bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg angelhairbaitfish.jpg (33.9 KB, 51 views)
Old 11-07-2012, 07:16 AM

Smile Green Machine

I'd like to see a wulff style one tied.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Got2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I'd like to see a wulff style one tied.
Check out the new post in step by step fly tutorial.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:11 PM

Never really could figure out how to properly marry wet fly wings...

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 11-09-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Google "Skok's Mushmouth". There is a pretty good video online of this fly which is tied with a material that is basically the same as angel hair.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:43 PM

It would be cool if someone could put up a bead head goldeb stonefly nymph tutorial. I had really good luck with them this year and am just learning how to tie. Also any good trout streamers would be helpfull
Old 11-10-2012, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oizo View Post
Depending on the pattern a dubbing loop works great with angel hair but you will create a lot of waste.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:11 PM

Default Spey flies

I've been tying flies for forty years and I thought I could do anything until I tried tying Spey flies properly. I'd like to see a video on how to tie the wings on in the correct, low profile, tented manner. I found tying ordinary wet fly wings is child's play compared to this.