Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-01-2018, 05:03 PM

Default storing kill springs in "set" position?

Wondering if it matters if a person stores snares over the summer with the kill spring still set. Is it possible to weaken a spring by leaving it set?

Taking it one step further, what about conibears? I tend to store them with with the springs set (safety hooks latched) over the summer out of convenience. Am I compromising the springs by doing so?
Old 03-01-2018, 06:01 PM

A spring gets weak by "working" it not by sitting still.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:55 AM
Banned

I wish that I could get a definitive answer on this one as well. Not so much for snare kill springs but for my 330's.

I don't set my springs on my 330's until I use them but always end up with ones that don't catch beaver. I've been easing the springs on them because we always eased all springs in the Army due to the possibility of the springs weakening. We even took our ammo out of the magazines so as not to weaken the spring inside. Unless I can find something definitive that tells me not to do it, that's what I'll continue to do. Besides, if a spring is going to fail I want to know about it when I'm setting the trap for use and not be the cause for a bad catch. Just my opinion and nothing scientific about it.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOUNTAIN MICKEY View Post
A spring gets weak by "working" it not by sitting still.
My background deals with a lot of metallurgy.

"working" of steel is anytime it is under load, in this case compression/tension.
Over time your springs will weaken if they are left in tension with the safeties on. The steel wants to go back to its natural relaxed state.

Timeline, I have no idea. I always relax all of the springs on my traps when I store them.

Hasn't everyone looked at old traps to purchase where the safeties were left on...the ones that you can set a 330 by hand?

Spruce
Old 03-02-2018, 03:13 PM
Banned

That's kind of my thinking. Sure, working the spring back and forth will definitely weaken the spring over time, just like the springs on a truck, but I'm thinking that you'd have to do it thousands of times for it to wear out the metal. I like your example about old 330's stored for long periods with the springs compressed. It makes sense to me that the metal will get used to being in that position and get weaker. I'm an ease the spring guy.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spruce View Post
My background deals with a lot of metallurgy.

"working" of steel is anytime it is under load, in this case compression/tension.
Over time your springs will weaken if they are left in tension with the safeties on. The steel wants to go back to its natural relaxed state.

Timeline, I have no idea. I always relax all of the springs on my traps when I store them.

Hasn't everyone looked at old traps to purchase where the safeties were left on...the ones that you can set a 330 by hand?

Spruce
I was kind of hoping nobody would post anything like this. lol. In the back of my mind I was thinking I should release all the springs, but was hoping there would be a bunch of replies to the contrary. Just another project I guess. Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:46 PM
Banned

I am of the opinion that a spring when left in the set position , WILL weaken with time. If left in the set position they will not get useless but they will fail to return to their full relaxed position.
I get springs made fairly often and with time I have noticed IF a spring goes to a 180 degree full open , that when left set will regress to app 175 degrees.
But I plan on having an answer in the near future for everybody !
Old 03-03-2018, 04:32 AM

Over the years I have done it both ways and haven’t noticed much if any weakening in the springs on killing traps or snare kill springs. But I did once buy cheap snare springs that after being set once didn’t have the same shape or jam. I guess for me I’m not to concerned with the rotating jaw traps but would release the kill springs.

Last edited by wolfcrazy; 03-03-2018 at 04:38 AM.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:22 AM
Banned

WTHell would you not want to unset your springs....just so you don't have to reset them again when the next season rolls around..????.... duhhhh
Old 03-03-2018, 10:57 AM

I think we are over thinking this a little bit lol!
Old 03-03-2018, 05:48 PM
AO Sponsor

I wrote these three posts on the Canadian forum just not so long ago. Sure didn't fee like typing it all out again!

"Surely it is better to relieve the spring for the summer. Having said that, note that I never do! Too lazy!

The Magnum springs are much better designs to handle the load than the smaller, standard size. The Magnum has three coils and the the standard spring has only two. The two coil can not handle as much load as the three coil does.

Folks that gave up on the system, try it again with the Magnum and newer trigger. Nothing short of spectacular IF you use a good lock."

"I actually had about 300 snares laying in a pile that I forgot about for about 3 years. They all had lightning locks and Economy Magnum springs (music wire), all were set when I made them, 3 or possibly four years ago??? (They all needed a tweak which is why they were never used)

This season I ran short on snares, and I remembered the pile that needed the tweak. I relocated them, made the tweak and set them all out. The springs performed flawlessly. Especially when coupled with the lightning locks... 1/16" cable of course. Everything looked like they got in the snares and were shot!!!"

"Some springs you could keep compressed for a century, so long as no rust, will be as strong as the day you compressed it, others not. It depends on the design of the Spring, material, gauge, etc... eg - quality or lack thereof."
Old 03-03-2018, 05:52 PM
AO Sponsor

So a spring inst a spring isn't a spring. A Senneker Magnum Kill Spring is a different spring than the next knock off copy, even though they look similar or may even look identical. A kill spring is a different spring than a connibear spring, different fro a Ram spring, each one will react differently to long term compression, some will handle it better than others, depending upon design, material, construction, load.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:02 PM

Default Springs

I just set a couple coyote snares (1/16 with senneker kill springs, not magnum) that i had left set 2 years ago and the first yote that got caught just was stopped on the spot. Not a quantitative measurement but proof of function 2 years later.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
I think we are over thinking this a little bit lol!
I agree as long as the springs aren’t compressed over two full moon cycles there isn’t an issue. 😳🤪
Old 03-05-2018, 07:09 AM

Default there's no "magic" spring

Its been proven... that ALL springs loose strength when left compressed.
All springs loose varying strength dependant on the metal make-up, diameter of coil, diameter of metal and type of storage.
There's no "magic"
Unloading ANY spring when not in use extends it's life span.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:08 PM
Banned

X 2 I just talked to a tech at Dendoff in Vancouver and also to Keith at City Springs in Edmonton and they BOTH say That to leave a spring compressed will over time weaken it! It may take a while, but in the case of a 330 for instance IF you leave them compressed all the time you will lose SOME strength. A good example of this is the old style 330 from Victor are bad for this , They only squeeeezed the animal at the best of time !
Old 03-05-2018, 08:30 PM
AO Sponsor

If you had a torsion spring with 50 active coils, a max travel of 90 degrees and compressed it the full 90 degrees, after 100 years it is most likely that you woukd still have a like new spring. Ask mr dendoff that one. However, a torsion spring on a bodygrip trap much different design... never leave it set from year to year, will destroy the thing, especially the old victors and the old dukes.

(And to think the standards process favoured the old traps bc that’s what the trappers had)

Then the marty magnum, different spring. Seems to handle summer storage in set position ok even tho the spring institute stuff will tell you it’s safe load limit is significantly less than 70 degrees. Go figure!

Not saying a magnum will not weaken in time or other springs. Like I said, a spring isn’t a spring isn’t a spring. That means not all springs are the same. Aldo, no making assumptions or putting words in a guys mouth. Please?

(footnotes- the reader must be made aware that a torsion spring with 50 active coils is s ridiculous creation and its example only used in a hypothetical sense)(also it shoukd be noted that nobody would live long enough to check it’s strength after 100 years) (also nobody would care anymore after 100 years)
Old 03-05-2018, 10:05 PM
Banned

Not talking about your springs Marty! I am talking body grips and Ram springs!
Spring force: MF = More force LF = Less force

smaller OD = MF
less coils =MF
Thicker wire = MF
More travel =MF

Larger OD= LF
More coils =LF
Thinner Wire =LF
Less Travel =LF
And since you brought up your system :
It is only a miniature of the Ram ! Have you thought of perhaps going slightly thicker and 1/8th longer.and also open to app 175 degrees, Considering that MOST coyotes will enter into the magnum system as of now,
AND also the fact that they will also seem unfazed by the full size Wolf Ram apparatus , bigger might be better!
Old 03-06-2018, 12:23 AM
AO Sponsor

Am always playing around with a few things!
Old 03-06-2018, 02:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Am always playing around with a few things!
Better get onto that quick, Marty, before you’re fishing in a tinny on Lac Ste Anne like me instead of on the West Coast with an outfitter.

Check out the newest Halford’s catalog.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:10 AM

Guys, I agree leaving killing traps under tension all summer will weaken them after many years over having safeties off. I believe it is similar to logging truck drivers, always liked to unload and not leave truck sitting with heavy load over the weekend if possible.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:36 PM
Banned

Here is an analogy that is easy to understand why springs lose their strength !
Take a 100 lbs weight like bar bells and lift it over your head , hold it there 10 minutes ,drop it ! THEN try and pick it up ! Now do we get it?