Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 12-15-2012, 03:19 PM

Default Fly fishing on the Bow in winter.

Just wondering how successful people have been, and thoughts on the bow this winter?

I've had success hooking up with quite a few white fish each time I have been out, and during the last chinook- a few rainbows as well.

I have been using heavily weighted sz. 16 red midge pupa patterns deep under an indicator with good success... But that's a given on the Bow... which is awesome!

Any thoughts on fly selections/presentation/advice for sunny afternoons on the bow this winter?

-J
Old 12-15-2012, 03:29 PM

Just this past Monday I hooked into a white, a rainbow, and a brown. All on size 12 Pheasant tail nymphs. I was out for about 3 hours. Had a few others bites, but only landed the three fish mentioned above.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:33 PM

Tried today for a while with a wooley bugger but was a little too cold as my rod kept on icing up. Will give nymphing a shot next time it is warm-ish out.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:06 AM

Smile

One thing you can do is use a little lip balm on the guides to stop them from icing up.

***Watch out for burgs in the river. They break away and can be deadly. Be watching out at all times.

Rob
Old 12-17-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
One thing you can do is use a little lip balm on the guides to stop them from icing up.

***Watch out for burgs in the river. They break away and can be deadly. Be watching out at all times.

Rob
Definitely watch out for burgs on the river. When I was out I saw some that would easily take a grown man out and there would be nothing you can do about it.

I usually try to fish spots where I can stand on shore and not have to worry about that. But if a person does wade out into the water, you must be continuously watching upstream for what could be coming your way. Sometimes they are not easy to see either as the majority of the burg is submerged.

Last year was my first time in the river in the winter months. While I was standing there I felt something bump into my leg. Scared the $&!% out of me. Luckily it was just a small piece. After that I started watching upstream and noticed some larger ones that would easily take me out.

Be safe all and good luck.

Cheers,

Millar
Old 12-17-2012, 03:43 PM

Streamers all the way! Go cast tight to rocks(where the midges group up) and the browns won't be far away
Old 12-17-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
Streamers all the way! Go cast tight to rocks(where the midges group up) and the browns won't be far away
Great to know, I've got a steelhead trip planned to the Island in a few months, and this will give me an opportunity to practice up on my streamer technique! Thanks.

I'm going to give the lip balm a go! I generally like to fish from shore in the winter anyways... much warmer that way.

Last few times I was out the Whitefish weren't sticking to my fly's very well. Using less horsepower and a bit more time caused them to fight/shake less and come into my net a bit better...

Looking forward to the next chinook!
Old 12-17-2012, 08:10 PM

i like to use a sz 18 beadhead flashback hearsear follow by a sz 18 beadhead prince, i also use a split shot or two and a 12-15 ft leader, litterly i like the flies to bounce off the bottom, i find this combo works great right up until april then i up the sz to 14, i also look for big rocks in the water, fish tend to tuck themselves in there. usually i don't head out unless the days are at least above zero and i find i get more bites during the afternoon 2-4 ish than i do in the morning.good luck
Old 12-18-2012, 11:15 PM
Banned

Default winter fun

yes....streamers have done well for me (olive)
AND...stay outta da water if ice chunks are a flowin
A fish ain't worth a winterz swim lol
I'm from BC...so good luck with steelheadn'
I consider it the best fishn
If your new to it....hang on tight lol ...it's nothin like fishn in Alberta

Tags
bow, fly, river, trout, winter