Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-17-2018, 02:38 PM

Last week there was a guy attempting to sleep or rest or do drugs, I dunno, under a big pine tree on the corner of my yard, in the city! It's slightly protected by a hedge and out of the sun But when the dogs started barking at midnight I figured Id go have a look. I turned on my front light and opened my door and said " Can I help you?". Sure enough a guy emerged from the shadows and mumbled something, I think I heard a "sorry" and then he took off. I was rattled but only slightly, wasn't really a big deal. He was probably looking for a place to crash and not up to any trouble. But you never know, the only thing you can do if someone is trespassing is catch them in the act and ask them whats up. Not a damn thing you can do about it after the fact.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingAlberta View Post
In my opinion, blatant trespassing is just that big of a problem. My Cameras all catch people who should not be where they are, nobody cares.
Yep, it is a problem. If you ever want to go over all that myself and my neighbors did to improve things, probably best over a coffee or beer. Coffee for safer thinking
Seriously, I spent a lot or time over 2 years addressing from all angles and thankfully my neighbors got involved at the same time. Huge difference from then to now. I would be glad to meet and chat anytime about this. I know I felt like you when I didn't have the support from my neighbors or a good plan on where to go next.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingAlberta View Post
and walked through my houses/buildings and to the river.
So he could have even asked for your permission? That's just rude and makes it worse in my opinion.
Just sucks that some people spoil it for the rest with these actions, I really don't get it. What is the big deal with asking for permission? Worst thing that can happen is land owner says NO!. I even had people change their mind after I said "Thanks, sorry to bother you, have a great day!" and didn't start a discussion.
All they want is some common sense.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:44 PM

Default Private Landowners Invasion of Privacy

This year has been the worst I have seen for people camping, parking and trespassing on land in Central Alberta. I have had to kick 4 groups off of 3 properties that I fish and frequently patrol. Many of them get mad that they can't do what ever they want on our property. I told them well if you had half million to a million dollars you could also fish here where and when you would like. They are all from Red Deer or Calgary and assume country folk like them sneaking in on their properties. And this sh*t about road allowances and high water marks is only relevant if you know where the hell you are and most don't have a bloody clue where property lines are. The answer will be no if anybody ask for access because of these bad apples.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:35 PM

Default Trespassing

It’s funny how people don’t think before entering onto someone else’s property. My recreational property has blueberries on it and I’ve had to talk ( several times) to little old ladies who have come to pick them. When I ask if they are aware that they are on private property ( unfenced, but posted ) I quite often get the same answer of “ We are not hurting anything”?! I then explain that I use the property for target/ clay shooting and that it’s in everyone’s good interest if they ask for permission first. That usually clears the situation up.