Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-13-2011, 11:58 AM
Gone Hunting

Default Going to the dogs again

Dogs have hunted along side man for thousands of years. We use them for flushing, retrieving, tracking, killing, protection and........decoying.

The little Nova Scotia Duck Tolling dog is used to draw waterfowl to the gun. I've seen them retrieve but never seen them toll.

Decoy dogs are also used for coyote hunting. Well not in Alberta, but with the last couple threads about hunting and dogs, maybe it's time to look at this as well.
It used to be legal to run coyotes with hounds in Alberta. It still is technically, but the paperwork makes it impractical.
A decoy dog is a whole different game.
Almost any dog can be used for a decoy dog. The hunter sets up like he is calling coyotes, but has his dog with him. a The coyote responds to the call but sometimes is reluctant to come into gun range. The dog is sent out to engage the coyote. Not attack the coyote but to get his attention.
The dog is then called back and the coyote will follow. Sometimes it takes a couple of runs repeated to get the coyote into gun range.

It is a lot of fun and a very effective way to call coyotes.
Here's a clip of my friend's dog working in New Mexico.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt4Kt...eature=related

Do you think it is worth pursuing in Alberta?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-13-2011, 12:22 PM

I have actually seen a program on that. The hunter was using a yellow lab. He was saying very seriously that that dog has to trust him to hit the coyote, if he misses and a fight breaks out the dog might not want to go out again.
It was very interesting to see.
Tullfan
Old 01-13-2011, 12:44 PM

Default funny

A friend of mine near here has a farmer north of here that sometimes has a cow die and they go out together doing a bit of predator control together. last year when they were laying on the big bales waiting for the yotes to arrive for the meat scraps they noticed a man walking down the fence line toward them with a rifle and a dog. When he got close enough to signal him over to their stand he walked over to the bales and spoke with them. he claimed having a dog with him made the coyotes a little more curious so he got more shots at them. when my friend asked if he wasn't afraid the coyotes may get his dog if he was out of sight of the hunter the man said "not my dog, it is the neighbors". Apparently the neighbor let his dog wander at will and when this man left his house the dog very often joined him for a little coyote hunting. nothing ventured nothing gained.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:47 PM
Banned

I agree with the above posts that show the use of domestic dogs in coyote hunting can be very useful.

I have to add that this also shows a poodle is good for something.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post

That is just what they are good for
It would be great if they opened more game up for chase. I would like to have big hounds for yotes, raccoons, bear,lynx and cougar. Hard to justify big hound for only the short cougar hunt that is now available. What do you do with them for the other 10 months of the year?? I would be happy just to be able to run these animals and not harvest them. A stoppage in spring when they are having there young and then open for the rest of the year.
Like Redfrog said "Dogs have hunted along side man for thousands of years." I find time in the woods with my hounds much more enjoyable than hunting big game with a party.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:22 PM

Greg you may have to contact Red. He's got the prairie houndsmen get together happening. I am sure Beagles would be another category that could be added to the fun... I can forward you the site if your interested.

Yes you put many hours in with your hounds every year and use them to their full potential and enjoy your time with them thats for sure !!
I am always up for a Rabbit Hunt to Eh !!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:25 PM

I really agree with you. There is a fellow in southern alberta that runs hounds he commented on my thread a few times. I was getting into hounds to chase coyotes but the red tape is so much work an fish an wild life does not get specific with you in whats legal or not an how you can go about it. I will look him up for you an maybe you can catch up an do some runnin with him. I have been meaning to contact him but been to busy.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:29 PM

so how dooes a toll dog work an what kind do you use? interesting concept never heard of it
Old 01-13-2011, 09:50 PM

Phil , I have the link to red's page. I read it every few months to see how things are going. Sounds like it gets bigger every time Love hunting the hounds but competition is always fun as well.
Rabbit hunts are on hold until temps reach -10 or better. They can run it but now well enough to interest a new houndsman. Spring and fall they can fly. -25 with 2 feet of snow not so much.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:05 PM

Some states have a "pursuit season" for certain animals that can be caught with dogs. That would be interesting to have here in AB.

Can't see any harm in hunting yotes with dogs either.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
I think we all would be surprised on what the fugly lil' (some not so little actually) things were bred for.

Just couldn't bring myself to own one. That being said....never met one I wasn't impressed with lol

tm
Old 01-13-2011, 10:31 PM

Default standard bred poodles (large)

I have been fortunate enough to have been asked to train 3 standard bred poodles for obedience and as hunting dogs in the past 10 years or so and they happen to be some of the smartest and more birdy dogs I have worked with. considering that I usually train labs and goldens these standards impressed me with their desire to hunt, please, nose and stamina. Not as soft as the average golden and not as stubborn as a lab.
Let the fireworks begin!
Old 01-14-2011, 01:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Almost any dog can be used for a decoy dog. The hunter sets up like he is calling coyotes, but has his dog with him. a The coyote responds to the call but sometimes is reluctant to come into gun range. The dog is sent out to engage the coyote. Not attack the coyote but to get his attention.
I've finally found a way to get my 14lb Jack Yorkie involved in hunting.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I have seen this in action..... while dog sitting my aunts 10 lb Teri-Poo I was walking in the hay feild behind the house and a curious coyote really wanted to eat that little pain in the ***** , but that 'yote just could'nt bring himself to close the last 50 yards to seal the deal.... however when it did get within 50 yards I picked aunties doggy and headed home to get the 22-250..... but Mr. 'Yote was gone when I returned.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:40 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Is his name 'Bait'

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand