Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-11-2011, 08:57 AM

Default AFGA Scorer

ishootbambi, I am glad you volunteered your time to become an official AFGA Scorer. The historical records they/you keep of our trophy fish and game harvests are awesome. I have that book and other organizations publications available at home and camp for friends to brows during the hunting season; they are constantly being thumbed through. I hope some day you will reconsider and contribute to the data base of entries they/you keep. Your entries are just as valuable to the publication as the hunters you score for.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:52 AM

I wonder if some people don't enter an animal in the record book to avoid bringing attention to the area they hunt. I know that Illinois, Iowa, etc. are famous for their whitetail bucks and have hundreds of entries in the record books, which in turn draws a lot of attention to these places which results in tremendous hunting pressure.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Banned

Wow! I haven't been around for a while and just catching up on some threads I dam near choked to death reading some of the posts on this thread.... All I'm going to say is I'd be careful about blowing smoke up certain posters arse's. Your internet hero's may not be who you think they are. And no I'm not trolling for a response just posting to maybe get some of you to think a little....
Old 01-11-2011, 12:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brudus View Post
ishootbambi, I am glad you volunteered your time to become an official AFGA Scorer. The historical records they/you keep of our trophy fish and game harvests are awesome. I have that book and other organizations publications available at home and camp for friends to brows during the hunting season; they are constantly being thumbed through. I hope some day you will reconsider and contribute to the data base of entries they/you keep. Your entries are just as valuable to the publication as the hunters you score for.
i agree with your point. the article from big buck made the same argument, and it certainly is valid......in fact almost enough to have me reconsider. if the day comes that i do submit records it will be to the AFGA.....the main reason would be to give credit to the province of alberta for producing such incredible trophies. as for longhunter, p&y, and b&c and buckmasters, i have no issues with their organizations, but just dont feel the need to be listed myself. again nothing against those that do. i could also qualify for sci......i guarantee my name will never be listed with them. if you have read any of my posts you understand why. the only other book i would consider is henry kelsey for the same reasons as i would consider the AFGA.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedley View Post
Wow! I haven't been around for a while and just catching up on some threads I dam near choked to death reading some of the posts on this thread.... All I'm going to say is I'd be careful about blowing smoke up certain posters arse's. Your internet hero's may not be who you think they are. And no I'm not trolling for a response just posting to maybe get some of you to think a little....
welcome back renslip.....or any of the other 6 or 8 names youve had.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Banned

Nope not renslip...could have my post touched a nerve with you? No where in that post did it mention anyone's name. Now don't go saying I only have 10 posts...blah ...blah...blah...
Old 01-11-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Nope not renslip...could have my post touched a nerve with you? No where in that post did it mention anyone's name. Now don't go saying I only have 10 posts...blah ...blah...blah...
Care to elaborate on your well thought out statement? Or are you just going to take the role of backseat typer.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
"huh? what? i dunno what you mean."

thats what you said with your last half dozen names too......same response as herd bull, tonka, guido and everyone else who has been banned multiple times. sorry dude, you arent fooling anyone.

now if you have something to say, by all means speak up and say it. of course it may carry more weight if you werent throwing rocks from under the bridge.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:59 PM

Default Irony?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
LOLOLOLOL.....now thats funny tatonka!!! well, funny to me because of the irony. the op is a biologist!!! and the fact that he thinks the bulls at suffield are a management success is even more funny. those elk arent managed for trophy size any more than cadomin sheep are. they grow to gargantuan proportions simply because they live in a sanctuary where they can grow old without being killed at a younger age like their cousins everywhere else in the province.

i also agree with you tatonka that the reasons listed above mean nothing to me. there was an article a couple years back in big buck magazine that made some pretty good arguments why you should enter your trophies. i forget who wrote it, but ill tell you, he almost convinced me that i should. he made a better case than whats listed above....but in the end i still chose not to. i have no gripes for those that do, but for me the reasons were simple enough. i submitted the story to a magazine where other hunters could see a few pics and share in the hunt. i also got to tell the story of how my son got his first deer and my buddy took a real nice buck on the same hunt. thats it. the record books seldom have a pic of the animal, and almost never a story. in my opinion, its just a name on a list. some guys like to see theirs listed......i dont really care.
Perhaps you need to learn to read. The point was that the elk would not even exist today if management (reintroduction) had not been undertaken. No elk = no hunting. Those elk are indeed a success. The Canadian Military, RMEF, Government agencies and other individuals involved can all be thanked for the amazing elk herd we have today.

As a matter of fact the Boone and Crockett data is used for analysis to inform management. Boone and Crockett scores in relation to pronghorn age are utilized for herd management. Dr. David Brown has published a number of studies looking at the proportion of pronghorn trophies related to geographical area and looked at contributing factors. This work was based on B and C and SCI data from the record books. Just because you haven’t heard of it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. I’m sure I could easily find more if I really wanted to spend more time arguing, but I don’t.

Irony? I’ll give you irony. You say you don’t care, but you run around claiming to be the authority on all things scoring using the Boone and Crockett system. Then you don't even support the organization whose system you claim to be an authority on. You come to the Fish and Game trophy day and you enter every possible category from fish to birds to big game so you can brag you got the biggest animal and win a prize. That really shows you "don't care". If Boone and Crockett promised you a free T-shirt and a deer call would you enter your deer? Maybe that is what they should do. If you really “didn’t care” you wouldn’t even bother scoring your deer.

I believe I started this thread with the following statement:

“I know there has been debate over entry into record books on here in the past and I'm not wanting to open that can of worms again. I just thought this was good information from B and C and helps highlight the significant conservation contributions that have been made, and continue to be made, from the North American hunting community.”

So I will end my participation with saying this, Boone and Crockett is a great conservation organization that promotes fair chase, public access, and our right to hunt. We should support them. End of story.

P.S. The shift keys are the big ones second row up from the bottom. The say S-h-i-f-t on them. If you hold them down when typing another letter, it makes it into a capital, kind of like magic! This works at the beginning of sentences. You should try it sometime.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:23 PM

Great animal Birdhunter99 and congrats on getting a B/C animal....X2 on your last statement about irony.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhunter99 View Post

Perhaps you need to learn to read. The point was that the elk would not even exist today if management (reintroduction) had not been undertaken. No elk = no hunting. Those elk are indeed a success. The Canadian Military, RMEF, Government agencies and other individuals involved can all be thanked for the amazing elk herd we have today.

:
no question the elk were indeed transplanted. without the efforts of all involved they sure wouldnt be there. now perhaps you need to learn to read. what i said was that there is no way those elk are managed for trophy quality....same as the sheep at cadomin, they are simply a product of the sanctuary they live in. if the bios of alberta wish to hang their hats on what a great job of growing trophies they have done....well alrighty then, but im not buying it. te truth is without the no hunting safe zone they would be like every other zone with a true trophy male few and far between.

Quote:

As a matter of fact the Boone and Crockett data is used for analysis to inform management. Boone and Crockett scores in relation to pronghorn age are utilized for herd management. Dr. David Brown has published a number of studies looking at the proportion of pronghorn trophies related to geographical area and looked at contributing factors. This work was based on B and C and SCI data from the record books. Just because you haven’t heard of it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. I’m sure I could easily find more if I really wanted to spend more time arguing, but I don’t.

i believe you already posted that link. isnt that the one where it showed that pronghorns have max horn size at 4 years? yup, i read it and have no trouble accepting that

Quote:

Irony? I’ll give you irony. You say you don’t care, but you run around claiming to be the authority on all things scoring using the Boone and Crockett system. Then you don't even support the organization whose system you claim to be an authority on. You come to the Fish and Game trophy day and you enter every possible category from fish to birds to big game so you can brag you got the biggest animal and win a prize. That really shows you "don't care". If Boone and Crockett promised you a free T-shirt and a deer call would you enter your deer? Maybe that is what they should do. If you really “didn’t care” you wouldn’t even bother scoring your deer.

:

nope never claimed to be THE authority on all things B&C....but having scored literally hundreds of heads......many of them right in front of you i do know a little about how the system works. again, perhaps you need to learn to read. i never said i didnt support them. and you are jumping to conclusions yet again......you may be surprised to learn just exactly who i do or dont write cheques to. not listing my heads certainly does not mean i dont support them. you are quite correct that B&C is an organization that does a great deal for hunters and conservation efforts, and they do deserve and receive my support.....as does the AFGA.

now to say i dont care about trophy quality or the scores of what i shoot, well thats just silly bird. you bet i bring a truckload of trophies to the show every year. if any of your theories held water i guess id be saying that we ought to just shut down the whole event as i think a trophy show is pointless. but thats not how it is right? if noone brought in any animals it wouldnt be much of a show would it? i can care about big stuff without needing to see my name in the record books. apparently im not alone in that opinion, and none of us are wrong. for those that do, well, i didnt see anyone saying that was wrong either so im not sure what you are upset about. i thought i made that clear, but i could be mistaken.

Quote:

I believe I started this thread with the following statement:

“I know there has been debate over entry into record books on here in the past and I'm not wanting to open that can of worms again. I just thought this was good information from B and C and helps highlight the significant conservation contributions that have been made, and continue to be made, from the North American hunting community.”

:

so i guess you could have titled the thread...."im right and this is why so dont comment" and then asked the mods to lock it? this is a forum for outdoorsmen to share pics and stories and discuss outdoor stuff. as odd as it seems not everyone has the same opinion on everything.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:43 AM

Default Just Curious

I have a question for all those who stated that they don’t have their animals entered in any of the record books. If you one day harvest a whitetail buck per say, that you have green scored at a guaranteed world record. Would you still deny the animal the honor of being entered in a book, and stay true to your statements? Or does that fact change everything?
Old 01-12-2011, 12:21 PM

Default Record Book Animals.

Another unfortunate reason for some to not enter is that the record qualifying animal is worth $$. Then it can be purchased and entered by someone to call it their own. That reason bothers me the most.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Gone Hunting

Some time ago I realized that I was never going to get my name on the Stanley Cup. Or the Grey Cup. Or an Olympic medal. I doubt you will see my name in lights at any entertainment venue. I'll not win a Grammy, Emmy, Oscar, Nobel prize.

Hunting is one thing I really enjoy and I have had some success with. And so when I killed some deer that would qualify for record books, I was quite happy to enter them and see my name in the record books.

As it happens I had my picture with a trophy published in some of the record books (B&C book, AF&GA book and Fair Chase Magazine).

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 01-12-2011, 02:04 PM

Default Records

Good for you Robin! You, Milo and all the rest give hunters in search of a trophy a little inspiration to sit on stand a little longer when things are tough. Hunting season would end pretty quick for most if quality didnt matter.