Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-09-2011, 12:14 PM

Default 5 Reasons to Enter Your Trophy in Boone and Crockett Records

I was lucky enought to kill an animal that will qualify for B and C entry this fall. After reading this post from the B and C facebook site, I have decided to enter it for some of the reasons below. I have had the animal officially scored, which was actually a lot of fun and also informative. Make no mistake, guys who are B and C measurers have lots of good hunting stories and photos to share!! I know there has been debate over entry into record books on here in the past and I'm not wanting to open that can of worms again. I just thought this was good information from B and C and helps highlight the signifcant conservation contributions that have been made, and continue to be made, from the North American hunting community.

Congratulations! You finally killed that trophy specimen that eluded you for many seasons and countless hunts. You made celebratory stops at your buddy's house and then the local meat processor. The taxidermist is next. But, unlike your previous hunts, this time there’s another consideration--entering your trophy into the Boone and Crockett Club's records book.

The Boone and Crockett Club records program is the only North American harvest data system that collects information on all species of free-ranging native North American big game taken in fair chase.

Getting listed in the world’s most distinguished hunting-records book involves official measuring, paperwork and a $40 processing fee, all detailed at www.boone-crockett.org, but the rewards are considerable for you personally as well as for hunting overall and the future of conservation.

Here are five reasons to enter your trophy in Boone and Crockett records:

1. Archiving Conservation History

Under the leadership of Boone and Crockett Club founder Theodore Roosevelt, the Club’s system of scoring big-game trophies originated in 1906 as a means of recording details on species thought to be disappearing due to rampant habitat loss and unregulated hunting. Science-based conservation efforts, led and funded by license-buying hunters, brought those species from vanishing to flourishing. Today, a Boone and Crockett trophy is a classic gauge of modern conservation success—and an important reminder of the ongoing need for habitat and wildlife stewardship.

2. Improving Future Management

Because they represent fully mature specimens, Boone and Crockett records are an important indicator of the age structure and breeding fitness of a herd, as well as an indicator of habitat quality. For biologists and professional wildlife managers, the presence and production of trophy animals suggests optimum overall herd health; their absence may suggest that refined management strategies are warranted. Records build a timeline of both positive and negative trends in conservation practices and are used to chart future actions.

3. Honoring the Animal

Outstanding trophies produced naturally deserve to be recorded and respected in the most prestigious annals of big game hunting. Any true hunter’s sense of pride and satisfaction will be even more fulfilling and longer lasting if his or her quarry and the place where it lived are appropriately recognized, too.

4. Discrediting Hunting’s Critics

Those who oppose hunting often claim that hunting reverses natural selection, because unlike wild predators, human hunters often seek out the largest specimens. This, according to erroneous rhetoric, will artificially stunt game populations. However, the facts speak differently. Boone and Crockett Club trophy entries have increased 400 percent over the past 30 years, which means trophy-class animals actually are more plentiful now than ever before. This single statistic is an ongoing tribute to the professionals who manage wildlife and the hunters who participate in that management. Even more important, by being the only published reference of trophies taken in fair chase, such data counters other rhetoric being spun by anti-hunters to an uninformed public that sportsmen have become just a lawless bunch of wildlife killers.

5. Establishing Official Bragging Rights

Less than one percent of all sportsmen will take a Boone and Crockett-qualifying trophy in their lifetime. An accepted entry absolutely signifies the highest accomplishment in big game hunting—the legal, ethical, fair-chase harvest of a free ranging specimen that stands as an ultimate representation of its species. World-class trophy mounts are celebrated and passed down from one generation to the next. However, always remember that, over time, the more enduring story will be less about how you harvested your trophy, and more about how that remarkable animal got there in the first place—through the efforts of sportsmen!
Old 01-09-2011, 01:05 PM

I hope one day I can find one of those magical #'s to enter into its pages.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:08 PM

How about a pic of the beastie so we know what to look for

tm
Old 01-09-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
How about a pic of the beastie so we know what to look for

tm
I'll put a photo up in another thread one of these days. I'm still hoping to maybe do a magazine article. The rack will be at the MHFGA Sportsman's Day on Jan. 29th. However, I'm thinking that might be a bit far for you to travel
Old 01-09-2011, 01:25 PM

You TEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe if ya just throw up one pic it will catch the eye of "Big Buck" or some other rag

tm
Old 01-09-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
You TEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe if ya just throw up one pic it will catch the eye of "Big Buck" or some other rag

tm
We'll see if this works, I don't post many photos. Official score is 411 4/8 gross and net 379 even. I'll post better field photos in a day or two.I would like to start a thread and get as many Suffield bulls together as possible. I'll try to do that now that I have an accurate score to post and once I get some photos resized.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3120compress.jpg (83.7 KB, 472 views)
Old 01-09-2011, 02:49 PM

another Suffield bull. pretty wild seeing those creatures in that open country. nice bull Bud look forward to seeing a better pic.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:15 PM

Congrats 99, you made the right choice by entering your trophy. It eliminates the non believers. If anyone ever questions the score they can open the Boone and Crocket all time record book and see for them selves. Many of us also can't wait for the quarterly Fair Chase (The Official Publication Of The Boone And Crocket Club) magazine to arrive so we can admire all the new entries. They keep a copy of the All time Boone and Crocket Record book in the Debolt Bar and you would not believe how many people read it when sitting around in there. You sometimes need to wait your turn. It is also a very good reference when you are thinking about booking a hunt somewere or even just planning a hunt in your own Province you can see which area's the latest trophy's have came from. If no one entered there trophy's we would not have that info. Some will say it ain't a Booner until it is listed in the book. It is also neat to see which guys are consistantly killing booners. Jim Shockey nevered entered any up untill a couple of years ago. When he finally got his animals officially scored he had 16 new entries. Some were awards but I think there were 10 or more that made all time. He has all three moose species that make the all time minimum. He told me he knows of one guy that has 32 all time entries and 27 different species that make the all time minimum. Plus many others that make the awards book. I can't even Imagine. Lucky buggers.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Bear View Post
Congrats 99, you made the right choice by entering your trophy. It eliminates the non believers. If anyone ever questions the score they can open the Boone and Crocket all time record book and see for them selves. Many of us also can't wait for the quarterly Fair Chase (The Official Publication Of The Boone And Crocket Club) magazine to arrive so we can admire all the new entries. They keep a copy of the All time Boone and Crocket Record book in the Debolt Bar and you would not believe how many people read it when sitting around in there. You sometimes need to wait your turn. It is also a very good reference when you are thinking about booking a hunt somewere or even just planning a hunt in your own Province you can see which area's the latest trophy's have came from. If no one entered there trophy's we would not have that info. Some will say it ain't a Booner until it is listed in the book. It is also neat to see which guys are consistantly killing booners. Jim Shockey nevered entered any up untill a couple of years ago. When he finally got his animals officially scored he had 16 new entries. Some were awards but I think there were 10 or more that made all time. He has all three moose species that make the all time minimum. He told me he knows of one guy that has 32 all time entries and 27 different species that make the all time minimum. Plus many others that make the awards book. I can't even Imagine. Lucky buggers.
To post numbers like that I think deep pockets would help quite a bit. I won't hold my breath on having another animal of mine going in the book, but lightning has been known to strike twice so you never know. At any rate, I sure look forward to getting a copy of the latest edition and looking through it. I was also told that B and C is also posting gross scores in the new editions of the book. I think that is positive as going by net score is the main criticism you hear levelled at the B and C system. At least now you can have an idea of how big the animal actually was and how much was lost to get the final score.

Boone and Crockett has done a lot to promote hunting and hunter ethics. I certainly have no problem giving $40 to them.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhunter99 View Post
We'll see if this works, I don't post many photos. Official score is 411 4/8 gross and net 379 even. I'll post better field photos in a day or two.I would like to start a thread and get as many Suffield bulls together as possible. I'll try to do that now that I have an accurate score to post and once I get some photos resized.
Thank you and congrats Birdhunter99!!!!

He looks awesome and please drop a line if a mag picks it up

tm
Old 01-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Banned

Congrats on a fine trophy B99!

I just have one small criticism of the 4th reason,that being in regards to the statement
Quote:
Boone and Crockett Club trophy entries have increased 400 percent over the past 30 years, which means trophy-class animals actually are more plentiful now than ever before.
I beleive that the 400% increase can be attributed mostly to the information age more than anything else.30 years ago,I would guess that the majority of your everyday,average,blue collar hunter hadn't even heard tell of the B&C Club,or if he did,it was shrouded in mystery,he didn't understand B&C scoring,and probably could care less.Today in contrast,there is hardly a deer hunter in North America that doesn't know what a "Booner" is,and the majority of half ways serious hunters have a working knowledge of scoring.I'd guess there are still thousands of racks killed prior to 1980 hanging in barns,in rec rooms,in camps,on camps,and collecting dust in attics that would qualify for B&C but have never seen a tape measure and never will.

Sorry,don't mean to steal your thunder by any means,it's a great animal to be proud of and recognised,and fwiw,I optimistically begin each new season with dreams of entering "The Book" myself,but I just thought that statement was way off base.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:33 PM

Good point, I'm sure promotion of the B and C club and information technology has played a role in increasing entries like you say. However I do believe there are many areas where improved managment or populations have also played a significant role. This certainly would be true if you compare further into the past. It would also be true of where my bull came from, considering a transplant effort by government and conservation groups restored a species to its former range and provided a new pool of animals for hunting opportunity. Restoration of wild sheep would be another example that comes to mind.

It would be intersting to see an analysis of the trend of entries for species over time and try to determine what contributes to trends in availability of trophy animals. Being able to do this actually would be further evidence of the value of B and C data.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhunter99 View Post
I was lucky enought to kill an animal that will qualify for B and C entry this fall. After reading this post from the B and C facebook site, I have decided to enter it for some of the reasons below. I have had the animal officially scored, which was actually a lot of fun and also informative. Make no mistake, guys who are B and C measurers have lots of good hunting stories and photos to share!! I know there has been debate over entry into record books on here in the past and I'm not wanting to open that can of worms again. I just thought this was good information from B and C and helps highlight the signifcant conservation contributions that have been made, and continue to be made, from the North American hunting community.

Congratulations! You finally killed that trophy specimen that eluded you for many seasons and countless hunts. You made celebratory stops at your buddy's house and then the local meat processor. The taxidermist is next. But, unlike your previous hunts, this time there’s another consideration--entering your trophy into the Boone and Crockett Club's records book.

The Boone and Crockett Club records program is the only North American harvest data system that collects information on all species of free-ranging native North American big game taken in fair chase.

Getting listed in the world’s most distinguished hunting-records book involves official measuring, paperwork and a $40 processing fee, all detailed at www.boone-crockett.org, but the rewards are considerable for you personally as well as for hunting overall and the future of conservation.

Here are five reasons to enter your trophy in Boone and Crockett records:

1. Archiving Conservation History

Under the leadership of Boone and Crockett Club founder Theodore Roosevelt, the Club’s system of scoring big-game trophies originated in 1906 as a means of recording details on species thought to be disappearing due to rampant habitat loss and unregulated hunting. Science-based conservation efforts, led and funded by license-buying hunters, brought those species from vanishing to flourishing. Today, a Boone and Crockett trophy is a classic gauge of modern conservation success—and an important reminder of the ongoing need for habitat and wildlife stewardship.

2. Improving Future Management

Because they represent fully mature specimens, Boone and Crockett records are an important indicator of the age structure and breeding fitness of a herd, as well as an indicator of habitat quality. For biologists and professional wildlife managers, the presence and production of trophy animals suggests optimum overall herd health; their absence may suggest that refined management strategies are warranted. Records build a timeline of both positive and negative trends in conservation practices and are used to chart future actions.

3. Honoring the Animal

Outstanding trophies produced naturally deserve to be recorded and respected in the most prestigious annals of big game hunting. Any true hunter’s sense of pride and satisfaction will be even more fulfilling and longer lasting if his or her quarry and the place where it lived are appropriately recognized, too.

4. Discrediting Hunting’s Critics

Those who oppose hunting often claim that hunting reverses natural selection, because unlike wild predators, human hunters often seek out the largest specimens. This, according to erroneous rhetoric, will artificially stunt game populations. However, the facts speak differently. Boone and Crockett Club trophy entries have increased 400 percent over the past 30 years, which means trophy-class animals actually are more plentiful now than ever before. This single statistic is an ongoing tribute to the professionals who manage wildlife and the hunters who participate in that management. Even more important, by being the only published reference of trophies taken in fair chase, such data counters other rhetoric being spun by anti-hunters to an uninformed public that sportsmen have become just a lawless bunch of wildlife killers.

5. Establishing Official Bragging Rights

Less than one percent of all sportsmen will take a Boone and Crockett-qualifying trophy in their lifetime. An accepted entry absolutely signifies the highest accomplishment in big game hunting—the legal, ethical, fair-chase harvest of a free ranging specimen that stands as an ultimate representation of its species. World-class trophy mounts are celebrated and passed down from one generation to the next. However, always remember that, over time, the more enduring story will be less about how you harvested your trophy, and more about how that remarkable animal got there in the first place—through the efforts of sportsmen!
Congratulations on killing a record book animal, but I I don't buy the 5 reasons listed for entering an animal in "the book". I don't know of any game biologist who uses the B&C record book to evaluate the health of any big game species in the area they manage..... I seriously doubt if they ever even look at the record book. If people get gratification by entering a critter in the book, that's fine.....but there is no need to have to justify doing so.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatonka View Post
Congratulations on killing a record book animal, but I I don't buy the 5 reasons listed for entering an animal in "the book". I don't know of any game biologist who uses the B&C record book to evaluate the health of any big game species in the area they manage..... I seriously doubt if they ever even look at the record book. If people get gratification by entering a critter in the book, that's fine.....but there is no need to have to justify doing so.
LOLOLOLOL.....now thats funny tatonka!!! well, funny to me because of the irony. the op is a biologist!!! and the fact that he thinks the bulls at suffield are a management success is even more funny. those elk arent managed for trophy size any more than cadomin sheep are. they grow to gargantuan proportions simply because they live in a sanctuary where they can grow old without being killed at a younger age like their cousins everywhere else in the province.

i also agree with you tatonka that the reasons listed above mean nothing to me. there was an article a couple years back in big buck magazine that made some pretty good arguments why you should enter your trophies. i forget who wrote it, but ill tell you, he almost convinced me that i should. he made a better case than whats listed above....but in the end i still chose not to. i have no gripes for those that do, but for me the reasons were simple enough. i submitted the story to a magazine where other hunters could see a few pics and share in the hunt. i also got to tell the story of how my son got his first deer and my buddy took a real nice buck on the same hunt. thats it. the record books seldom have a pic of the animal, and almost never a story. in my opinion, its just a name on a list. some guys like to see theirs listed......i dont really care.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
LOLOLOLOL.....now thats funny tatonka!!! well, funny to me because of the irony. the op is a biologist!!! and the fact that he thinks the bulls at suffield are a management success is even more funny. those elk arent managed for trophy size any more than cadomin sheep are. they grow to gargantuan proportions simply because they live in a sanctuary where they can grow old without being killed at a younger age like their cousins everywhere else in the province.

i also agree with you tatonka that the reasons listed above mean nothing to me. there was an article a couple years back in big buck magazine that made some pretty good arguments why you should enter your trophies. i forget who wrote it, but ill tell you, he almost convinced me that i should. he made a better case than whats listed above....but in the end i still chose not to. i have no gripes for those that do, but for me the reasons were simple enough. i submitted the story to a magazine where other hunters could see a few pics and share in the hunt. i also got to tell the story of how my son got his first deer and my buddy took a real nice buck on the same hunt. thats it. the record books seldom have a pic of the animal, and almost never a story. in my opinion, its just a name on a list. some guys like to see theirs listed......i dont really care.
X2 on your reasons not too. I see absolutely no issue with guys that do enter theirs, but personally I have no real aching to get my name in the book. Sure if it was in the top 20 or so I would probably do it. But if I shoot a WT that nets 175 I seriously doubt I would. I have 1 big reason not too... They charge you money to do it. I can't justify that expense to myself let alone my wife. I seem to remember another article in big buck, I think it was the gary donald editorial. He was looking into why there were so few bucks from ab/sask in the B&C book. He was finding that the majority of book heads were simply not being entered and that guys just weren't bothering. May have been the same article you read ISB, I am not sure what all else was in the story, my memory isn't that good.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
X2 on your reasons not too. I see absolutely no issue with guys that do enter theirs, but personally I have no real aching to get my name in the book. Sure if it was in the top 20 or so I would probably do it. But if I shoot a WT that nets 175 I seriously doubt I would. I have 1 big reason not too... They charge you money to do it. I can't justify that expense to myself let alone my wife. I seem to remember another article in big buck, I think it was the gary donald editorial. He was looking into why there were so few bucks from ab/sask in the B&C book. He was finding that the majority of book heads were simply not being entered and that guys just weren't bothering. May have been the same article you read ISB, I am not sure what all else was in the story, my memory isn't that good.
yeah, i remember that editorial. and hes likely right. the article im talking about was written by a scorer from saskatchewan. i dont remember his name, but like i said, he made some pretty valid points.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:12 AM

Default Entering your Animal.

Funny how some people hunt trophy animals, use the Boone & Crockett scoring system to judge the animal, but refuse to enter it for various reasons. My take on is either the animal really hasn’t been scored by an official, or the hunter can’t sleep at night if he signed the “Affidavit”. I don’t buy that $40.00 is going to be tough to part with.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:20 AM

I have no problem with people enetering their prize in B&C. And to go further than some here, heck, I might even enter an animal if I ever got one worthy. I DO think the reasons offered by the organization are a stretch and self-serving. IMHO It's a brag book, but that's fine. Now if SRD said "Oh, we use those stats and find them useful" then I'd be happy to change my opinion. That said, I think the organization does no harm. Nothing to get all heated about either way.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
It validates the animal in question. When a large animal is shot its rumors galore until it is scored. I also think that it honors the animal. I also enjoy it because it is a data base that can be used for research, which I have read some biologists papers and they do mention the scoring system and can see different characteristics such as base size, horn length, etc; the researchers used some of this data to quantify different sheep habitat. They do also mention in the papers that horn size can be attributed partially to overall health of the animals along with genetics.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by podman View Post
It validates the animal in question. When a large animal is shot its rumors galore until it is scored. I also think that it honors the animal. I also enjoy it because it is a data base that can be used for research, which I have read some biologists papers and they do mention the scoring system and can see different characteristics such as base size, horn length, etc; the researchers used some of this data to quantify different sheep habitat. They do also mention in the papers that horn size can be attributed partially to overall health of the animals along with genetics.
I don't really care if people score their animal, enter it into "The Book", etc..... Like I said, if that's something they feel that they should or want to do then that's what they should do. I personally believe that people enter animals to see their name in the record book, which again, is fine by me. To each his/or her own, but as has been suggested many times over the years if it's really about honoring the animal, providing a resource for hunters looking for areas that produce trophy critters, etc. then why not remove the hunters' names from the record book?

This "honoring the animal" thing has always had me scratching my head. So, like do deer, elk, etc. read the record book and say, "Hey look here.....this was my great-grandfather....wasn't he something?" And if it's about honorng the animal, why don't we honor does, cows, ewes, etc.? Without them there wouldn't be any trophys at all. Shouldn't we be entering big does and cows in a record book to honor them? Sounds like discrimination to me.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:32 PM

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 799x551 and weights 655KB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 799x519 and weights 611KB.

My son's first Whitetail Buck...

My 2010 buck...

Tatonka, these are all great representative animals for these species, even Trophy Caliber to some. Your Whitetail is awesome! You can’t tell me that if your deer qualifies for a record book, any one: (state, B&C, BuckMasters etc.) and if you entered it. Would it not honor this animal in some way? And when you gone, your son would show his kids your accomplishment.
How many doe did you pass up before you shot that buck?
Old 01-10-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brudus View Post
Funny how some people hunt trophy animals, use the Boone & Crockett scoring system to judge the animal, but refuse to enter it for various reasons. My take on is either the animal really hasn’t been scored by an official, or the hunter can’t sleep at night if he signed the “Affidavit”. I don’t buy that $40.00 is going to be tough to part with.
I know what you are saying some of the reasons make you wonder the only one I believe is "I Just dont care" All the other Woulda made the book critters well I could have played NHL hockey sept fer tha fact I wern't no good

I know I have the 27th edition beside my Cougar and the plaque on the wall
ANd the 28th Edition will be beside DaJimmers Antelope! Along with both Copies of Fair Chase
Old 01-10-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
For sheep biologists don't need the record book all they have to do is get the registered info from fish and wildlife. I agree with Tatonka.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I don't really care if people score their animal, enter it into "The Book", etc..... Like I said, if that's something they feel that they should or want to do then that's what they should do. I personally believe that people enter animals to see their name in the record book, which again, is fine by me. To each his/or her own, but as has been suggested many times over the years if it's really about honoring the animal, providing a resource for hunters looking for areas that produce trophy critters, etc. then why not remove the hunters' names from the record book?

This "honoring the animal" thing has always had me scratching my head. So, like do deer, elk, etc. read the record book and say, "Hey look here.....this was my great-grandfather....wasn't he something?" And if it's about honorng the animal, why don't we honor does, cows, ewes, etc.? Without them there wouldn't be any trophys at all. Shouldn't we be entering big does and cows in a record book to honor them? Sounds like discrimination to me.
See the only honest answer "I don't really care" Thats the one to stick with I care you don't and that has no bearing on good or bad its just truth!

To each his or her own
Old 01-10-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
For sheep biologists don't need the record book all they have to do is get the registered info from fish and wildlife. I agree with Tatonka.
Do the fish and wildlife have all of the measurements that B&C take? Second I only stated I have read scientific research articles where they discussed B&C measurements. I am not saying it is a main stay for their research only adds to it. I am a member and have really enjoyed the ability to see all of the different animals and info that comes with that, as well the Fair Chase magazine. If it weren't for B&C I would not have been able to enjoy these magnificent animals. Either way nobody is going to make you enter.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Do the fish and wildlife have all of the measurements that B&C take? Second I only stated I have read scientific research articles where they discussed B&C measurements. I am not saying it is a main stay for their research only adds to it. I am a member and have really enjoyed the ability to see all of the different animals and info that comes with that, as well the Fair Chase magazine. If it weren't for B&C I would not have been able to enjoy these magnificent animals. Either way nobody is going to make you enter.
Bases, horn length, age and area thats about all a bio needs I'm surprised you didn't know this weren't you with Kyle when he registered his Ram, so B&C will have less info then fish and wildlife, because they have all the Rams info and B&C only has book Rams.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Bases, horn length, age and area thats about all a bio needs I'm surprised you didn't know this weren't you with Kyle when he registered his Ram, so B&C will have less info then fish and wildlife, because they have all the Rams info and B&C only has book Rams.
I agree with you that only B&C rams measurements are taken for the club so that leaves a huge gap. I am kind of a science geek so I like the availability of the stats offered by B&C. I would love to see the stats F&W get from their registration. No I was not there with Kyle, I had to work. My mother worked for F&W for over 30 years so it would have been fun to be there as many of the COs know her.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 799x551 and weights 655KB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 799x519 and weights 611KB.

My son's first Whitetail Buck...

My 2010 buck...

Tatonka, these are all great representative animals for these species, even Trophy Caliber to some. Your Whitetail is awesome! You can’t tell me that if your deer qualifies for a record book, any one: (state, B&C, BuckMasters etc.) and if you entered it. Would it not honor this animal in some way? And when you gone, your son would show his kids your accomplishment.
How many doe did you pass up before you shot that buck?
I usually fill my antlerless tags first. I like to get some fresh meat in the freezer and then look for a nice buck. I don't think I've ever scored an animal myself.. The taxidermist scored a buck I killed with my bow in 1979 and I killed a double beamed buck a couple years ago that a friend mounted for me and he scored it.... Nothing wrong with numbers, etc. but they just don't mean much to me. As far as honoring the animals I kill, I believe I have the antlers from every buck I've ever killed except for a few that were lost when my Dad's shop burned years ago. I also have an 8X10 enlargement made of the animals I take and I keep a log of all of the deer I've killed (including the antlerless critters). I note where and when I shot the animal, the weather, and a short summary of the hunt. So, my kids, grandkids, etc. will have a record of my hunting escapades after I'm long gone. If they want to measure any of the animals I've killed, the can but it doesn't interest me.

I guess I'm set in my ways.... When I was growing up the weight of the deer was what people looked at. Everyone weighed their buck and all of the "Big Buck Contests" were based on a deer's weight. Those days are long gone, but my goal is still to someday kill a buck that field dresses 300 pounds or more..
Old 01-10-2011, 07:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
40 bucks has nothing to do with it for me. i have several animals that qualify for as many as 6 record books and none of them are entered. i am a trophy hunter to the core and know very well how the scoring systems work.....i know because i am a certified scorer for the AFGA. the scoring systems are a great way to compare trophy animals. the scoring systems all have their shortcomings, but to me B&Cs system is the best we have available. that said, i just dont care about seeing my name in any book. my kid will own my heads one day and he already said he will enter them when im gone. ok....if thats what he wants whatever. as far as whether my stuff has been officially scored....yup. i have the B&C sheets in my binder of scoring stuff. can i sleep at night?......read the thread Bambis Season and you will see quick enough how bad i need to kill a big buck. your theory might make sense to you, and maybe there are a few who fit your idea of a trophy hunter......but some of us really just dont care.

Last edited by ishootbambi; 01-10-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
40 bucks has nothing to do with it for me. i have several animals that qualify for as many as 6 record books and none of them are entered. i am a trophy hunter to the core and know very well how the scoring systems work.....i know because i am a certified scorer for the AFGA. the scoring systems are a great way to compare trophy naimals. the scoring systems all have their shortcomings, but to me B&Cs system is the best we have available. that said, i just dont care about seeing my name in any book. my kid will ow my heads one day and he already said he will enter them when im gone. ok....if thats what he wants whatever. as far as whther mt stuff has been officially scored....yup. i have the B&C sheets in my binder of scoring stuff. can i sleep at night?......read the thread Bambis Season and you will see quick enough how bad i need to kill a big buck. your theory might make sense to you, and maybe there are a few who fit your idea of a trophy hunter......but some of us really just dont care.
That was very well said .