Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-08-2011, 07:03 AM

Default electric caller

I am looking to get an electric caller for snow goose hunting. I was wanting to know what everbody uses and would they recomend it.

thanks cameron
Old 01-08-2011, 05:40 PM

I made my own!

Just get a mini amplifier, a horn speaker and an mp3 player along with 2 auxilary cables

Lethal Prostaff Member
Canadian Waterfowl Prostaff Member
Sillosock Prostaff Member
Pure Gold Chokes Prostaff Member
Lynch Mob Calls Prostaff Member
Wolverine Guns and Tackle
Old 01-09-2011, 01:54 AM

I would super size your caller right from the start.........

Regular car amp, boat/tractor battery, mp3, at least 2 power horns. Not sure the size of your snow spread but more speakers the better, 2-4.

Pick up at least a 25' cable extension, mp3 to amp, so you have more flexibility on where your sound is in relation to your hide, where you are playing Mr DJ. Also run longer wires on your power horns for this reason as well.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:24 AM

Thats a good idea guys thanks
Old 01-09-2011, 09:03 AM
Gone Hunting

Go Foxpro. They have lots of volume and a remote that works.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-09-2011, 10:16 AM

I am building one as we speak, except Im going wireless. With dogs running around, last thing is I want is cords laying around the place.

All you need as everyone said is a couple of horn speakers, Im using a car power amp, wireless set up Im using a Nady 151VR and a mp3 player and snow goose music . I would also put a switch in between the battery and the amp that is luminated
Old 01-09-2011, 12:40 PM

Default wires...

Been using an ecaller for a few years and have never had a dog trip up from the wires. The speaker wires are heavy duty and pretty heavy. You will more than likely walk on top of them rather then trip. The mp3 extension can be a little tricky as it is a tiny cord.

Half the hunts I have the amp/battery right in my blind behind the seat so no small wires out and about. The other half of the hunts the amp/battery are 20-25' away from the blind.

Been thinking about going remote for the mp3 but not sure about signal loss?

Foxpro....forget it. Not enough volume for me. For the spring season I need lots of volume to scream at those high flyers looking for a safe spot to rest and drink. For the fall I guess you could use foxpro, but the foxpro sounds suck and one speaker is no good.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:04 PM
Banned

Default ecaller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekeland View Post
Been using an ecaller for a few years and have never had a dog trip up from the wires. The speaker wires are heavy duty and pretty heavy. You will more than likely walk on top of them rather then trip. The mp3 extension can be a little tricky as it is a tiny cord.

Half the hunts I have the amp/battery right in my blind behind the seat so no small wires out and about. The other half of the hunts the amp/battery are 20-25' away from the blind.

Been thinking about going remote for the mp3 but not sure about signal loss?

Foxpro....forget it. Not enough volume for me. For the spring season I need lots of volume to scream at those high flyers looking for a safe spot to rest and drink. For the fall I guess you could use foxpro, but the foxpro sounds suck and one speaker is no good.
You can have more than one speaker depending on what FoxPro unit you have. I have the ability to run 4 speakers from mine, no splicing or cheezy bs, there are 4 outlets. I believe its the SnoCro5 (or SnoPro), I think there is a newer version that has come out in the last year or so that may be a little bit smaller but comes with more sounds already built in. I would be very very surprised if a two speaker home made job was louder than this, it is very loud. Also, all ran on wireless remote good to over 200 yards I believe, makes changing volume, sound selection, and shutting it right down when there is nothing flying very easy. The speaker cord is heavy and lays out fine, won't trip dogs or hunters, very heavy duty and I have the 25 or 50 foot cord extensions for each speaker. This is not a cheap unit though, with the extra cable and 4 speakers, it is likely the most costly commercial system, which is a draw back for sure. Just my 2 cents, best of luck.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:10 PM

I have acquired the pieces I wanted to use to build one. I have seen these items in use and they work well. I am using a 12v/25Wrms automotive amp that uses an SD card, that will run two speakers. You could also use a marine version 12v SD/MP3 player. The one I have has a remote control for volume,track selection, not for on/off. The speakers I have are horn style 65w.
I was going to use a small recreational battery on them ( I got enough pcs for two units), but as I am now also going to use bouncers as well, I will likely use a smaller deep cycle batt and run everything off that. Amps were 32.00 ea off e-bay, speakers are avail at around 35.00 ea from Ont, then you will need some wire, cable, connectors and containers to suit, and a battery. If I decide these amps don't have as much power as I'd like, I can always go to a higher powered amp if necc. You can build a complete unit for under 200.00 quite easily.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:58 PM

Looks like you will have a good unit for the whities next fall.

I would suggest maybe running the bouncers on their own power sources, just for portablility sake. Not sure how long the hook up cords are for them, but having all that gear off one battery may limit your set up possiblities for the bouncers since they will have to be close to your amp.
Not sure how big of a spread you are running. If you are only running a couple hundred then your overall space is limited. If you are putting out 400+ and can cover a huge area then you will want to be able to move anything in your spread anywhere to get those birds to finish in your face ie;blinds, speakers, motion dekes...especially the motion decoys, whether its flyers or bouncers or vortex or kites.

Have you seen the bouncers in action? Was thinking of picking up one or two. The vortex sure works especially on no wind days...these should suck them in close enough. I have the flyers for them.

Last edited by Zekeland; 01-12-2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:15 PM

Not too sure how much juice I need for the bouncers yet, I'll run them in the yard here if it warms up a bit and see how long they go for on a small batt.
The amps can run all day on a pretty small unit. Right now I have 16doz dekes for myself and 4 flappers to put on the two bouncers. If all of us go together we have over 60doz avail to put out, as well as kites and more flappers. We will have to do some experimenting on this stuff to see what is going to be the easiest/best method of deployment. I am sure it'll get interesting the first couple of outings.