Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-06-2011, 07:32 AM

Default Another Magrath quota hunt

Attention Deer Hunters!
In response to an unusually high density of whitetail deer located in the urban setting of the community of Magrath, SRD Fish & Wildlife is holding a limited entry quota hunt. The hunt is part of a solution to reduce the number of deer that are using the community and immediate surrounding area as year round habitat.

90 licences will be made available to the public on a first-come, first-served basis. Applications must be made in person, at the Magrath Civic Building in Magrath on Tuesday, January 11, 2011, 08:00 am. Applicants must have their wildlife identification number (WIN) with them, as well as signed, written permission from at least one one landowner within the quota hunt area. The quota hunt area includes all privately owned lands within Township 5 - Range 22 - west of the 4th meridian that lie south of Highway #5. Applications without written landowner permission will not be accepted!

The hunt will take place only in the portion of Township 5, Range 22 W4M that lies south of Highway #5. There will be 3 hunts, each lasting 4 days (Wed., Thurs., Fri. and Sat.). The dates of each hunt are as follows:

Hunt 1 – Jan. 19-22, 2011
Hunt 2 – Jan. 26-29, 2011
Hunt 3 – Feb. 2-5, 2011
All successful applicants will be issued two tags for antlerless white-tailed deer during one of the 3 hunts. They must then purchase their Magrath Quota Hunt licence on-line. Licences will not be sold by vendors! All provincial hunting related regulations apply.

In the event all 90 licences are not issued on Jan. 11, 2011, applications can be made at the Lethbridge Fish & Wildlife office (YPM Place - 2nd Floor). Written landowner permission is still required, as well as a valid WIN.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:01 PM

Default Hunt

Do you know if this is a bow only hunt or is it a rifle hunt? How close to the town are they trying to clean these deer up?
Old 01-07-2011, 09:02 PM

Thanks Bruce, hopefully I can add 1 more deer to the freezer!
Old 01-08-2011, 07:50 AM

I believe you can probably hunt as close to town as you can get permission .. having said that the deer they realy want killed are just going to head back into town and be out of the hunt area as soon as firing begins , happens in regular season and will happen again starting the 19th..need to kill them where they live , and if that is in town so be it .. wouldn't be that hard, but you can't turn every Tom ,Dick and Harry loose to do it .
Old 01-08-2011, 09:20 AM
Banned

I'd like to go, not with a gun but with a camcorder
Old 01-08-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I'd like to go, not with a gun but with a camcorder
Remember the GONG SHOW...... but this version has F & W in control of the Gong....
Old 01-08-2011, 01:08 PM

I participated in the first one there several years ago when I lived in Lethbridge. It was not as bad as you think. I sat on the property I had permission and waited. Soon the deer were on the move and trotted right by me in a shallow funnel in the middle of the stubble field. I had my 2 does in 30 minutes. There is a ton of does down there and most of them are right in town on the golf course. Many land owners south of town are justifiably upset with the deparadation they do on the crops. Good luck to all on the cull this year!
Old 01-12-2011, 12:59 PM

90 hunters spread out over 3 hunts with 30 hunters for each hunt. Extra F+W officers will be on hand, shouldnt be any more of a gong show than the regular season down here in 108. The population is out of control down there, if a couple more of the landowners would allow hunting then the part of the herd that stays on those particular sections all year round would be forced out and more likely to be harvested which would help the situation down there a lot. 1 section in particular holds at least 150-200 deer all year round, they never leave.

All I know is I have 2 extra tags burning a hole in my pocket!!! OOOHHHHH YAAAAAAA!!!!

M
Old 01-12-2011, 04:45 PM

The reason for the "gong" is not the hunters but F&W .... what they won't say is they are scared that CWD will get established due to the deer farm in town and the very high density of wild deer living therein......IMO
Old 01-12-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cover View Post
The reason for the "gong" is not the hunters but F&W .... what they won't say is they are scared that CWD will get established due to the deer farm in town and the very high density of wild deer living therein......IMO
can you tell me where this deer farm in town is located? there is a deer farm located 3 miles south of town, if that is what you mean. and at the intro meeting, they said they are not at all worried about CWD.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:16 AM

Who on here was at the meeting on Tuesday to get signed up? I was there with my son. We're hunting week 1. You?
Old 01-13-2011, 07:23 AM

I was there, got in on the 3rd hunt because I was in the 2nd briefing. Got there at 5 minutes after 8 and was 73rd in line!

M
Old 01-13-2011, 07:40 AM
Banned

I've filled my WT tags during the standard season, so no need to participate. But to those that will, good luck, play safe and respect the owner's property and all should be fine.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berjerkin View Post
can you tell me where this deer farm in town is located? there is a deer farm located 3 miles south of town, if that is what you mean. and at the intro meeting, they said they are not at all worried about CWD.
Thanks for the insight regarding the intro meeting.... I am glad F&W are not worried about it I guess , but conditions exist for an outbreak IMO. Overpopulation of any species is generally not good... seeing animals in poor condition and starving is not easy to see.... Joe Farmer's alphalpha feild getting hammered... deer being run over every week .... all good reasons to get the numbers in check.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cover View Post
Thanks for the insight regarding the intro meeting.... I am glad F&W are not worried about it I guess , but conditions exist for an outbreak IMO. Overpopulation of any species is generally not good... seeing animals in poor condition and starving is not easy to see.... Joe Farmer's alphalpha feild getting hammered... deer being run over every week .... all good reasons to get the numbers in check.
that statement is 100% correct, thanks for the correction.

my wife and i are both in the 3rd season.