Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-05-2011, 01:47 PM
Banned

Default Rec Room Hunting "decor"

Putting the finishing touches on my Man Cave and want to give it more of a "rustic" hunting atmosphere in addition to all my mounts, game birds, sheds hunting pictures etc. What all do some of you fellas have adorning your walls. Looking for some ideas, lets see some pic's, show off what you've got.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:16 PM

Just in the process of finishing my man cave myself. No pics yet but it will have stacked stone up the wall for the first few feet then rough cut cedar boards to the top the rest of the way. That way I will have a secure backing for any mounts I hang on the wall. I also plan to have a few old licence plates on the wall, some shed antlers I have found will also go on the wall. My hunting pics, hunting books, hunting catologs, laptop (to order from those hunting catologs!), and of course my hunting videos. Basically all the stuff the wife won't let me display in the house.

As for content of the room already got a big screen tv ready to mount on the wall as well as my topo maps, also built in a 5'x10' hunting closet that has the gun cabinets, my hunting cloths, as well as the rest of my hunting and camping gear.

I have a couch and love seat for the room already, and am planning on making a rustic coffee table. Also have a beer fridge already waiting to go. The room is just under 500 sq feet so I have plenty of room to stretch out and have the guys over. O yes best of all I also wired in speakers into the ceiling for the surround sound as I have an old home sterio to use as well and I did myself a favor of putting sound proof insullation in every wall as well as the ceiling so when the wife stops on the floor upsatirs I won't hear a thing! I am more excited about this room than I was for Christmas! Finally a place to call my own!!!!
Old 01-05-2011, 02:57 PM

Check out Cabelas catalog or online....they are getting bigger every year in light fixtures, furniture, wallpaper, bedding, mats, etc. that could help in your man-cave.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:23 PM

just finishing mine up as well, almost done the wood burning heater, flat stone base, stacked rocks up part of the wall and surrounding the base. I was thinking much the same on some of the walls, but like the dea of finding some old barn or shed boards and putting them up ! But rough cedar might be a good option ! Pool table goes in in spring, but still trying to finish the plans for a bar,....stone or concrete or a big slab of wood !

Room for a few mounts and my bear, ceiling not high enough for my elk , but i will figure something out ! Gonna try a few fish carvngs and put them up as well a maybe a few old style duck ones ! A few old traps for decore, and making a bunch of stools out of a bunch of old steel tractor seats i've found at auctions over the last few years !

Was trying to figureout a way to make some old lantern type lights for the walls, but no success yet !
Old 01-05-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfish View Post
just finishing mine up as well, almost done the wood burning heater, flat stone base, stacked rocks up part of the wall and surrounding the base. I was thinking much the same on some of the walls, but like the dea of finding some old barn or shed boards and putting them up ! But rough cedar might be a good option ! Pool table goes in in spring, but still trying to finish the plans for a bar,....stone or concrete or a big slab of wood !

Room for a few mounts and my bear, ceiling not high enough for my elk , but i will figure something out ! Gonna try a few fish carvngs and put them up as well a maybe a few old style duck ones ! A few old traps for decore, and making a bunch of stools out of a bunch of old steel tractor seats i've found at auctions over the last few years !

Was trying to figureout a way to make some old lantern type lights for the walls, but no success yet !

That reminded me I am lookingfor a few old carved ducks as well for the cave, I actually brought back 2 antique lobster traps back from the east coast when I went out there I got for decor as well. I want one of those old bear traps for the wall though! I was thinking the same thing for stools as I have access to a few old tractor seats. As for the lantern lights I have seen them reproduced as wall sconces, but I think just haveing a couple old ones as decor would be cool. My mission is to make the man cave kind of like I would decorate my cabin. Basically stuck in the basement until I can afford a cabin so might as well make it how I want it since I will be there awhile!
Old 01-05-2011, 04:24 PM

If you can find a way to put bars on the window(s), and then a push-button heavy bolt lock on the door - you can turn your entire man-cave into a gun locker, so you don't have to use safes or trigger locks for your firearms!
Old 01-05-2011, 04:54 PM

Ive got a couple traps , an old pair of snow shoes and a couple of antique bamboo and a metal flyrod to hang in there yet just have to get rid of the gun cabinite
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mancave2.jpg (52.3 KB, 707 views)
File Type: jpg mancave1.jpg (87.3 KB, 627 views)
Old 01-05-2011, 05:20 PM

Default Larry Hayden prints

Little known carver from Michigan that entered 14 carving competitons in the early 1970s and won every one of them including the World Championships. He was trained as an artist in the US military and had a very realistic style that had not been seen in carving. He was so successful as an artist that he gave up carving and only did flat works being offered duck stamp and wildfowl prints from almost every state (prior to competing for them). Although Larry passed away last year his prints have without explanation never appreciated to any great extent.
I have almost the whole collection of his prints in the man cave (it is my painting studio as well) and still admire his work daily. Have antique and comtemporary decoys and tools of the trade from master carvers from all over Canada and the US.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:31 PM

here is some pics of my man den,I made the tv stnad and end tables out of old barn wood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3208.JPG (32.3 KB, 726 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3207.JPG (30.1 KB, 668 views)
Old 01-05-2011, 09:29 PM

I picked up a trapper nelson at an antique sale for $10 and it now hangs on the wall. I also helped clean up around grandpas and got an old metal imr powder can for my mantle, and some 50 cal cast bullets with some family history that sit beside the can.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timba View Post
here is some pics of my man den,I made the tv stnad and end tables out of old barn wood.
I like the look of your TV stand!
Old 01-06-2011, 10:22 AM

Just add a few old rusty leg hold traps and this will add to the decor.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timba View Post
nice den , is that a marmot on the wall?
Old 01-06-2011, 10:49 AM

YOU GUYS HAVE INSPIRED ME!

I actually have a finished "man cave" in the basement, but it's a man cave in name only. Sure, it has a 50 inch TV, couch, and an electric guitar and amp shoved in the corner... but that's about it. My sons are moved out, my wife never uses it, but I really haven't made it MINE...

So I'm thinking.... take my gun cabinet and all my hunting and fishing gear out of the laundry room and garage and put it there.... Build a long counter where I can clean my gun, tie flies, work on stuff... Maybe some hunting pics on the wall or... gasp... a trophy or two (when I get a decent one)!
Old 01-06-2011, 02:43 PM

Here are a few photos of my man cave (basement).

Old 01-06-2011, 02:52 PM
sheephunter

Very tasteful CLB! We are slowly turning the whole house into a man cave. I really like the way you've done things.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Very tasteful CLB! We are slowly turning the whole house into a man cave. I really like the way you've done things.
The wife won't let me touch the main floor.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:05 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLB View Post
The wife won't let me touch the main floor.
We've even got shed antlers and taxidermy in the kitchen...lol. Nothing in the bathrooms yet though.....lol
Old 01-06-2011, 03:17 PM

CLB does your wife have a sister, nice nice place.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:21 PM

very nice CLB , i especially like the shed pile and the euro mounts, where did you find the bracket ? Very well done !
Old 01-06-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
We've even got shed antlers and taxidermy in the kitchen...lol. Nothing in the bathrooms yet though.....lol
My wife is definately not that tolerant but it would likely help if she hunted, which she does not.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
CLB does your wife have a sister, nice nice place.
No sister, but a big ugly brother.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
very nice CLB , i especially like the shed pile and the euro mounts, where did you find the bracket ? Very well done !
A buddy in Saskatoon makes them. He calls them euromounters, he has a webpage where you can order them.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:33 PM

i'll try not to sound demanding, but do you have a link for him? ok i'll edit myself and add that is www.euromounter.com/ !
Old 01-06-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I Have seen them in cabelas catalogue.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
i'll try not to sound demanding, but do you have a link for him? ok i'll edit myself and add that is www.euromounter.com/ !
I think it is just www.euromounter.com
Old 01-06-2011, 03:46 PM

NICE! I'm looking at building a 1 1/2 story A-frame cabin on a full basement. I'll be starting from ground up but would love to have a finish like yours. Don't have a mountain view where I live but have a stocked trout pond with fruit trees planted and spruce behind. Thanks for the great pics CLB.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:56 PM

<Ace Ventura Pet Detective> What a lovely room of death you have!

Seriously nice!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-06-2011, 03:58 PM
sheephunter

CLB, did you stain some of the sheds in the pile or are they all just that fresh?
Old 01-06-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLB View Post
I think it is just www.euromounter.com
They are really easy to build as well, I looked into ordering some too but for the cost of one I can weld up hundreds...so i did just need to cut some more decorative back pieces with the plasma table. I also used stainless and bead blasted it but same Idea.