Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-01-2011, 10:40 AM
sheephunter

Default Long Range Shooting/Hunting

Please no ethics police in this discussion or degredation of those that choose to shoot longer ranges or those that might be new at it. I'm just kind of curious how many people are getting into long range shooting and how much technology they are employing. From high BC bullets to ballistic software to ballistic reticle/turret scopes to laser range finders. What are you finding a really helps you, how long have you been at it and how far are you shooting?

I know 600 yards is becoming very comfortable for me. I know I'm no better shot than I was 10 years ago but I know technology has allowed me to become comfortable at twice the range I was 10 years ago. How about you?
Old 01-01-2011, 10:52 AM

Been into it for a long time started with the basic's and got very comfortable out to 600 yrd's, but now with today's technology it seem's to gain every 100 yards you just spend 1000.00-1200.00 dollar's on better scopes better caliber's refined reloading techniques and information and lot's and lot's of practice, now i am very comfortable to 800 yrd's and can even hold on some special day's a decent group at 1000 yrds
Old 01-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Gone Hunting

I would say that most of the animals I've shot were within 100yds.

With the new tools of the great satan, I now feel very comfortable shooting coyote sized targets to 600 yds.

Hand loads, rangefinder, Ballistic, drop ins for target turrets and it is much easier than Kentucky windage and hail Mary.

Range, dial, guestimate the wind, dial , bipod, flat shooting caliber and the result is quite predictable.

The first time you tip over a coyote who sits at 500 yards and barks, it all falls into place.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-01-2011, 11:11 AM

I totally agree that advances in equipment and awareness/exposure to long range principles has made it easier for hunters to adequately perform shots that they never believed possible when they first got into the sport. I would include myself in that class. I know that my equipment has the full capability of allowing me to perform shots in excess of 600 yards. Adding field conditions is where reality is defined and is separated from potential.
Oddly I tend to still find it "hard to imagine" shooting an animal at 600 yards when eyeballing it without binoculars. It just seems wrong, though it is totally possible. I love the potential and when presented with this possibility I do want to be able to execute that potential. I suppose it will take some mind conditioning to bring what I practice at the range to the field.
I have selected my equipment to take advantage of the potential including; a quality rifle, custom stock, bedded, scope with ballistic turret, tweaked handloads with VLD bullets.
Hopefully in the future I will have opportunity to take advantage of the potential though I would say that I will not be one to actively seek the longest shot possible but I have been known to change my opinion.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:14 AM

Default just starting to stretch out

Enjoyed learning on coyotes but now laser range finder is giving me the confidence to get practiced up on big game if I get the opportunity I want to be able to take advantage of it. had to take a dall at 400+ a number of years ago as no option to get closer. Figure eventually I may get a shot at a bull elk and it may not be any closer judging by the ridges and valleys we hunt without horses so getting ahead of him won't be an option. First things first as my home range has expanded to 300 yards and I need longer.
I have learned how to re-calibrate my newest B & C reticles and Varmint for specific bullets and speeds. Laser range finder has made a huge difference between guessing and knowing.
Now it is just practice until confident out to 600 and learn which bullets and velocities my rifles prefer.
Doesn't really matter if he steps out of the trees on other side of valley as it is fun to practice and become more familiar with the capabilities of the rifles and myself.
Rob
Old 01-01-2011, 11:34 AM

I have nothing against new technology and anything that improves ones abilities. I learned to shoot old school by knowing my rifle my optics and my bullet's. If I have range finder so be it but from expierence I know how my gun fires in all types of conditions! ballistic software does tell you a lot but in my very own opinion I do not think it replaces expierences or advances you to the next level of shooter! Like it has been said on here before and most of us have seen for ourselves, at the range, guy's expect to go from weekend plinker to 1000 yard marksmen by dropping $$$$$ on gear!
Old 01-01-2011, 11:45 AM

There is absolutely no doubt that technology helps .
Dragging around one of these when I was a kid is a far cry form the modern range finders you can stick in your pocket or wear on your neck!!
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...1t:429,r:6,s:0
Even when I did use the Barr and Stroud, using graduated reticles was not totally perfect without many hours of practice and logging stuff.
In target shooting , of course, a range finder is only needed if you are not on a certified range , or already know your distances.
Without one, as was stated, it can be a "hail Mary" thing, and is more often than not, Ii would suspect, ending in a miss rather than a kill.

Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 01-01-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Gone Hunting

So without a range finder you can tell if your target is 560 yds or 610 yds.
Can you tell exactly 6 inches of holdover at those ranges if that is what you need? Do you practice at various known long ranges?

It seems to me to be easier and more accurate to measure and dial than guess and shoot regardless of your amount of experience.

I know if I was building a cabinet, I would measure and not rely on the last one I built.

No doubt that experience shooting will definitely make you more successful, and simply using a rangefinder and ballistics program is no guarantee of success.
But I think it doesn't have to be one or the other.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Gone Hunting

Long range shooting/hunting

I don't do any "long range" (we haven't really defined what long range means) target shooting. And so I don't attempt any "long range" shots at live animals.

Well not usually.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 01-01-2011, 12:02 PM

Default LR

I have become pretty comfortable ,with 5-600 yard shots,at targets, but am pretty careful, about shot this far at game, unless cond. are perfect.The advances in scope reticles alone, have made things a lot easier, add in lazer optics, and ballistic charts, and a bit of practice, and it is surprising, the results one can get.Shooting rests have also come a long ways, I like the Stoney Point with Tag along, they are reasonably light, and quite steady.
I like to practice shooting milk jugs filled with coloured water, out to 600.Its surprising the boost in confidence you get ,after a good afternoon, or morning of shooting.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
So without a range finder you can tell if your target is 560 yds or 610 yds.
Can you tell exactly 6 inches of holdover at those ranges if that is what you need? Do you practice at various known long ranges?

It seems to me to be easier and more accurate to measure and dial than guess and shoot regardless of your amount of experience.

I know if I was building a cabinet, I would measure and not rely on the last one I built.

No doubt that experience shooting will definitely make you more successful, and simply using a rangefinder and ballistics program is no guarantee of success.
But I think it doesn't have to be one or the other.
Exactly!
Old 01-01-2011, 12:25 PM

I've been long range shooting since about 2003. I currently have three purpose-built LR rigs: a factory 300 RUM Sendero (11.5 lbs loaded) with 4200 6-24x50 pushing 180 Accubonds at 3275 fps (have tried 200 Accubonds and 208 AMax, but the rifle loves the 180’s), a custom 338 Lapua Mag (13.5 lbs loaded) with NF5.5-22x50NPR1 pushing 300 SMK's at 2725 fps, and most recently, a custom 7mm Rem Mag (8lbs loaded) chambered for 168 VLDs at 2960 fps and custom Leupie 4.5-14x40 LR with TMR reticle and target elevation/windage knobs. Of these, only the 300 RUM has hunted and taken game, so far. The majority of my LR practice, by far (pun) is with my .308 Win. heavy barrel pushing 175 SMKs with a fixed 3200 10x scope. Practice at long range is more important than any gadget, and the 308 Win allows for lots of it. I dial turrets for distance in most cases.

Tricks? Since the 4200 and Leupie have mil-based reticles and MOA turrets, I adjust the reticle subtension (power) on these scopes so that the mil spacing reads in MOA (e.g., the 4200 at very close to 24x, mil spacing = 2 MOA; the Leupie at ~13x, each 1/2 mil spacing reads 2 MOA). I have carefully marked the power adjustment rings accordingly and these settings allow the MOA turrets and reticles to both calculate/adjust in same-same MOA.

Technology? High BC bullets and a good laser range finder (Lieca for me) - 'nuff said. Also, last year I picked up an I-touch and the Bulletflight L2 ballistics program. With my Kestrel 3500, I enter actual field conditions on-site and the program has proven to be very, very predictable out to the 800 m that I regularly shoot. I found a spot last fall that will go 1300 m, so that’s next. This field ballistics program added a whole new level of precision and accuracy to my LR shooting. Using this program in the field has also allowed me to better understand the effects of changing weather conditions on the external ballistics of my rigs/shooting - profound in some cases!!

Conclusion? Even with all this equipment and shooting, the longrange hunting opportunities have not really materialized, or, perhaps, as a bowhunter at-heart, I instinctively work in closer because I usually can. My longest shot to-date is 512 yards on my biggest ram, and the next farthest was 390 yards on my biggest antelope, 380 on my biggest elk, and 340 yards on my biggest whitetail. Them bigguns tend to keep some distance....

Last edited by depopulator; 01-01-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:27 PM

Some of my outdoor goals and plans are to increase my range, and I have really dropped out of fishing in my spare time to take up more range time aand time in the woods.

Havent done to much yet, for hunting I am comfy with 300 to 350 yards, but want to stretch it out to 500 by fall.

My 12 gauge Savage 210F slug gun is a long range monster for a slug gun, punches a large ragged 3 shot hole at 100 yards, under 1.5to 1.75 inches at 150 and for some reason 3 inches at 200 yards. Thats long range slug gunning IMHO.....lol

Hit a 4 litre Milk Jug at 250yards Laser Ranged with my Leupold Ultimate Slam which is bang on for 3 inch mag sabot slugs
Old 01-01-2011, 12:29 PM

I guess I should have added that at the ranges and places I shoot for fun my distances are known so a rangefinder is not required! 99% of my hunting is from a stand i range everything so my distances are mentally noted! I only shoot 3 guns so i know how they shoot out 1000 yards give or take a tweak or two!! I always preach repetition and try 2 shoot only 1 or 2 long distances per day!! It took me quite awhile to go from 600-1000 yards!! I do not hand load myself but i get my .308 stuff done for me!
Old 01-01-2011, 01:12 PM

Default I hate tracking

so I prefer a DRT outcome

so I limit my range to a Point Black target appropriate to the game, and then adjust my distance so I can "Hold on Hair, Not on Air".

the outer edges of these is MY long range
Old 01-01-2011, 01:26 PM

For my long range stuff, I have a purpose built, M700 based 6.5-06 with a VX3 4.5-14 CDS on top of it, and have a dial made up for 129 gr SST's at 3000 FPS (it chrono'd right on 3000). I have not had a chance to put it thru its paces yet with the CDS, but took a coyote and antelope with it at 350 and 345 yds last fall while it was wearing a VX-II 4-12x40, and also printed a 6" group at 500 meters, shooting prone from the bipod.

Once I find some time, i intend on putting the CDS system through its paces as well.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Gone Hunting

No amount of technology will ever make me a long range shooter.
I am simply not steady enough for it, and now my eyes aren't up to the task.
So I have had to develop alternate skills.

Perhaps to some that makes me less of a hunter. So be it.
Not everyone was born perfect.

For me, in this habitat, long range skills would be somewhat of a waste anyway.
There are few opportunities to use such a skill in real hunting situations around here. This is mostly forested country.

So I am content with my limitations, and happy for those who are not so limited.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:40 PM

I am absolutely intrigued by the mathematics behind long range shooting for sure. Having said that i hammered my last big whitetail at 17 yds. I am pretty comfortable with a good rest out to 300-350 when the conditions allow but would love to expand my horizons.

In 2011 i plan to invest in the new Leica range finder and I'm going to pimp up my 270 with a new McMillan stock and new glass. Then set to work on a load and premium bullet more suited for longer ranges. Don't know that I'm ever going to get into the computer programs and the real long stuff but I do plan on taking full advantage of at least some of new technology that exists in bullets, glass etc.

I always swore that I would not go back south after antelope again with out a good range finder. Being raised in the North your mind's eye has all it's references based on the trees , fences and critters that exist here. My son and I did shoot a couple of dandy bucks at 250 and 354 yds but I had a son of a gun of a time estimating distances down there.

I enjoy all types of hunting and am not one to condemn the other guy for doing something different from the way I do it so in 2011 I have 2 goals: improve my competancy at a distance and shoot a deer with the long bow I made out of a stick of maple.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:06 PM

a bipod is my first investment this year on my way to becoming better at longer ranges . Picked up a used rangefinder in the fall off a board member . I think my 7mm can shoot a lot farther than I am capable of at the moment . I would like to be able to reach out some more.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:29 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanuk-O-dah-Nort View Post
"Hold on Hair, Not on Air".

Absolutely great advice! That's why ballistic reticles/turrets have stretched ranges so much further. No matter the distance, within reason, your POA and POI are the same.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:02 PM

I use a rangefinder for long range stalking. BC is somewhat insignificant as I only choose one brand of bullets so choices are somewhat limited. Been shooting for 21 years but taking it more seriously for the last 5. What has helped me most is practice, practice, practice.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:03 PM

I have always lived in bush country so have never felt the need to shoot long range.Most of my guns have been big magnums with low power scopes that are perfect for close shots and breaking shoulders..

In past years I have found that a few things have changed.I travel more to other parts of Alberta as well as the States and find that I do alot more open country hunting these days,Also what used to be heavy bush around home is now more open cutblocks from logging and fires..

So I have found myself wishing i could stretch my range a bit..

I would consider myself a good shot out to 350 yrds with a rest and 200 or so off hand..

So my new shooting iron for 2011 is an older Sako AV Hunter (unfired) in 280rem,McMillan stock,Timney Trigger and a 4 1/2-14 Luopold with the BC reticle..

With hashmarks out to 500yrds I think it should be no problem with a little practise to be confident at this range.I feel even at 350-400 I will be a better shot as I will be able to hit right where I am aiming..

500 yrds to some is a slam dunk but to me if I can stretch my range another 150yrds I feel that It will make me a more succesful hunter.Plus shooting at 500 will just make those 300yrd shots seem much easier..

I will never hunt without rangefinder with bow or rifle as I am uncomfortable taking shots that I am unsure of the distance..

Last edited by BrownBear416; 01-02-2011 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Please no ethics police in this discussion or degredation of those that choose to shoot longer ranges or those that might be new at it. I'm just kind of curious how many people are getting into long range shooting and how much technology they are employing. From high BC bullets to ballistic software to ballistic reticle/turret scopes to laser range finders. What are you finding a really helps you, how long have you been at it and how far are you shooting?

I know 600 yards is becoming very comfortable for me. I know I'm no better shot than I was 10 years ago but I know technology has allowed me to become comfortable at twice the range I was 10 years ago. How about you?
Up until this year I took all of my deer and moose within 100 yds with a few deer as far out as 200 yds. I don't know how many deer that I've let walk because they were 300 yd shots that I wouldn't take.

Last winter I started reloading and I spent quite a bit of time on the range working up loads. Once I found the right load I practiced out to 500 yds, the maximum distance on the range that I go to. I didn't pay much attention to the BC of the ammo that I was loading as my priority was accuracy so I've never used ballistic software...........yet.

I don't use a laser rangefinder as I have been taught how to judge distances fairly accurately during my military career. The time that I spend shooting at various distances on the range is also a huge help.

I've gone to BDC type reticles on my two main hunting rifles and I prefer that to doing holdover shots with an ordinary crosshair.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:57 PM

with a moderate range finder and moderate scope I was shooting 600 yrds..

I extended it a bit for a while, but with so many other things on the go, the commitment required in being a good longrange hunter was just too much. I'll throw a bullet an 800 yrd target without blinking, and often without hitting LOL

Shooting between 600 and 700 yrds, the main thing I learned was that I was a far better shot with a 15x, or 16x than with a 20x or 24x
Old 01-01-2011, 07:57 PM

as an experienced marksman I can say that proper training and practice is the key to long range shooting. A quality rifle in a caliber you are comfortable shooting. a quality scope is also a key essential. Also competition quality ammo is a necessity. ballistics windage and trajectory are key factors. expensive equipment is not necessary but quality rifle and ammo is.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:41 PM

For me, being relatively inexperienced when I first started long range shooting three years ago I'd have to say my biggest ali was a competent long range shooting partner to show me the ropes. From there, putting in the time with my .308 and Nightforce scope with windage and elevation turrets and validating the data that Exbal ballistic software produced was key. Anyone can get a ballistic table built for their ammo or handloads, but what many don't realize is the tweaking involved in that data that makes it a true ballistic chart for your rifle.

Having a low recoil and relatively cheap and accurate round like the .308 for your first long range rig is key. With the knowledge I gained from the several thousand rounds I've put through that rifle I can now quickly and with far more confidence build loads and produce data for my other rifles. I will probably never own a rifle without windage and elevation turrets as they instill such a confidence factor to the equation for me compared to a reticle when you have a very accurate handload and ballistic data. Other items of very high importance are a quality rangefinder that can surpass you shooting abilities. My Swarovski has hit reflective targets to 1700 yrds, but I currently do not own a rifle that I will take past 1000 yards, that is until I build my 338 lapua next year! For me, long range is anything over 650 yards with 1100 yards being my current max distance shot. For hunting, I'll never consider a shot past 650 yards with my current gear and will only make shots past 400 with windage readings and my ballistic software in hand.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:24 AM

Long range for some is an average shot for others.

If game is approachable getting within 300 yds is my preferance.If not I will shoot out to 500. As far as I am concerned 1000 yd sots on game are much more likely to miss, or worse wound the animal.

Part of hunting for me(often the most exciting and skillful part) is the stalk. Getting closer is always a safer and easier option.

If the rifleman practises enough can hold steady and knows his firearm extremely well, fine.

Most hunters dont, and shooting just because you think you may hit the animal is unethical and just plain stupid.

Just the way I see it, each to thier own I guess
Old 01-04-2011, 09:43 AM

I'm in my second obsession in long range shooting. During my first stint years ago consistent groupings or kills at 400 yards was BSed about far more often than achieved. I left the discipline and spent the next 15 years kicking around at short range mostly at sub 200 yards with muzzleloaders. The last couple years I've returned to the long range game and the gear improvements I've seen are astounding. Today's distance shooter has so many technological advancements to streamline the learning curve and remove so much of the guess work. The high quality gear available opens the sport to everyone and makes it easy to learn and succeed at the range and in the woods.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by depopulator View Post
Conclusion? Even with all this equipment and shooting, the longrange hunting opportunities have not really materialized, or, perhaps, as a bowhunter at-heart, I instinctively work in closer because I usually can.....
that sums me up to a tee also!

i took a little first year whitetail doe at 521, also have first round dial ups on coyotes at 440, 584 and 800 and almost every opportunity i get in field conditions to take a confidence builder i will take it, especially witnessed if i can, have lots of dead imaginary critters accounted for from 631, 701, 711, 775 and 920, and have now been in several areas in the mountains while looking for sheep/elk that i was glad i could cover the entire basins etc. although the opportunities have not materialized for me either i will continue to confidence build on the inanimate and coyotes for that just in case once in a lifetime possibility it may pay off

i went from reticles to dial up, favorite is dial up with kenton speed dial knobs matching in yards

for me its about being as prepared as i possibly can be....but if i can get closer absolutely i will
Old 01-04-2011, 10:22 AM
sheephunter

I'd agree that for most people it is preparedness Stinky. I wouldnt back up from a 100 yard shot so I could take a 500 yard shot nor would I take a 500 yard shot if conditions weren't favopurable or I absolutely knew I could close the gap. But, if I'm unsure about getting closer, I have the confidence to squeeze the trigger at some longer ranges. Take my Dall sheep last year, we spent 2 1/2 days within 500-600 yards of the ram but with steep shooting angles and high winds we felt we should close the distance a bit. Finally he got to 371 yards and it was a now or never scenario. Being prepared with the right gear made the shot a slam dunk.