Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-22-2007, 11:35 AM
Roebag

Default Marie Lake Pics

With all this talk about Marie and May Lakes I thought I would post some pics from this nice area

Sandy Beaches

Far Shoreline

Tubing

Lake - Far Shore

Trail To May Lake

Trail To May Lake- Dead Brute Force

May Lake

Hopefully nothing bad happens to this area. There is great fishing, camping, and quadding
Old 04-22-2007, 08:17 PM
Barbwire

Nice Pictures..... Marie is a beautiful lake, and it would be a shame if anything happened to it....

Barbwire
Old 04-23-2007, 09:14 AM
SNAPFisher

Default Thanks

Thanks for posting the great pics Roebag. It is appeciated.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Marie Lake

Default Marie Lake

Awesome pics. Ahh, I can't wait till the summer.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:06 PM
lgu5

Default Re: Marie Lake

roebag got the same tube as you! the wet n wild flyer and i also got the stunt flyer. Fun ride!!! lol Thanks for the posts, got me thinking about summer!
Old 04-14-2008, 09:45 AM

Can you give me a quick email?

I just want to talk a bit about your trip May Lake. I have meaning to get up there for a year now and the time has comem 'May Lake 2008', so if you got more pics. o fhe trail and some info. to share I would appreciate it.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:32 PM
Banned

Its funny how people think when they are up north that they can do as they please to our streams and water sheds..

I will once again ask you all to use the same respect for my streams as you do for your own.. Here are just a few words written by our members on another post about just what is happening here on this post..

Some of us in the north are starting to adopt a saying.. Welcome to northern Alberta ,,,now turn around and go home !!!!

As posted by ctd....

(Polution.
When you drive your quad and or vehicle into a stream, river or lake you will allow oils, grease, fuel or other road contaminants to leech into the water.

Although your machine looks clean it isn't fully. Grease from your u joints, ball joints, fuel that has been spilled, etc is still present.

Just driving your vehicle into the water can cause damage to the bed of the water source. That isnt to say you cant drive through the water. Just be carefull when doing so. Stirring up to much sediment may cause damage down stream.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(As posted by gunned)

Pollution and environmental damage is right.
I have often seen people ripping up and down sensitive fish spawning tributaries trying to clean their equipment and it really pees me off! That is why we have pressure washers! It is probably the same crowd that don't mind chewing deep rutts in swamps/bogs, on grades that are very prone to erosion and leaving their trash behind. Blatantly damaging the very thing they are out there to "enjoy"! Outdoorsman (and women) should take a strong position against these practices, and also educate the ignorant ones

(As posted by Bushrat)..

There are two kinds of off roaders, those who use them as a means to get out and enjoy nature, and those who are out there ripping and tearing up the creeks, alpine, muskeg and leaving their garbage, those types are not out to enjoy nature, they don't give a **** about nature, they are out to 'enjoy' their souped up machines and are not having any 'fun' unless they're being destructive. They buy these machines for the exclusive purpose of ripping and tearing, they have no interest in putting around quietly and enjoying nature.

Last edited by Walleyes; 04-15-2008 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:56 PM

I have been up to Marie Lake on the trail. I was travelling with the local 4x4 club. Although they drive big 4x4 trucks and all, they also do a lot of good work in the area. They have installed a few bridges, continually clean the trails, and try to educate people on how to look after the enviroment.

There are always sacrifices for outdoors fun and excitement. It is how we do it that makes it good or bad.

Driving through a stream that has no bridge is ok. Driving through a stream that has a bridge is not ok.

That particular stream that picture is of can be a little trickle some parts of the year and as seen there a river others.

Tyr to use good judgement when out doors. Limit your exposure but dont eliminate it.

Not in my back yard has been creeping up more and more especially around Cold Lake area. Seems some of the people ther have forgotten where the city has come from, and where it is going. Limitations emposed now can have big consequesnces in the future.

Work together and find a happy medium with the on going situations at hand.

Cheers all great pictures, Hope to be up there for Maylong weekend trip.

Now if I can remember the trail in.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:50 PM
Banned

Well,, where I come from I wouldn't want to get caught in my neighbors back yard. Heck I don't think you would even get asked why you were there and its hard to talk without a heart beat. Besides I don't think he would bother to ask..

Funny how that happens eh...
Old 04-17-2008, 09:00 AM
Banned

Responsibility and common sense are always required when in the outdoors. Not knowing the full situation, I look at those pictures and see people trying to get to the lake. They are on a trail by the look of it. It's not the best situation that's for sure, they will be getting oil, fuel, etc... into the water, there's definitely potential to damage the trail, there should be a bridge, etc..., but as long as all they're doing is crossing the stream to gain access to the lake, and not intentionally driving back and forth in the stream or tearing it up, I find it awfully hard to find fault with their actions.

Like was said in the posts from the thread that was quoted, we ALL have an impact, the key is to act responsibly and minimize that impact wherever possible.

Waxy

Last edited by Waxy; 04-17-2008 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Not worth starting a fight...
Old 04-17-2008, 10:21 AM

Great posts ctd and waxy. I agree 100%.

BH

Old 04-17-2008, 12:00 PM

I guess we should ban all older 2 stroke outboard motors on lakes. Ouch!
Old 04-17-2008, 02:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
I guess we should ban all older 2 stroke outboard motors on lakes. Ouch!
Nahh, no need, they eventually phase themselves out, you see fewer and fewer of them every year.

On top of that, they aren't all that bad IMHO. Sure they smoke a little, but by keeping them well tuned and clean, you minimize their impact.

That's the key, minimize the impact...

Waxy
Old 04-17-2008, 02:44 PM

I can't believe how much some people like to instigate on this site. I don't see what is so great about there posts, i think you're just trying to push walleye's buttons. Sure he can come off a little grumpy but he has a valid point.

So why do they need to access this lake huh? So they can tear the lake up too? They have no fishing rods or any items that would imply that they are up to any good. It's obvious that they are just hotdogen around. Waist deep in the creek/slough and smileing about it. If it was me I'd be upset because getting stuck is using up valuable fishing time.

I've seen the damage these things due to natural area's and I'm just a young buck. One would think that people of age or experience would be dissapointed to see such machines in places where they don't belong. The unfortunate part is how much DISrespect alot of ATV'ers have. I said alot not all so don't jump on me.

I have no ATV, but I must certainly could put one to use. Only time i've fjorded (spelling) a creek or stream has been on my own feet and the people on shore thought i was nuts. I end up hiking in damn near every time I head out. I personaly think alot of people out there are just to damn lazy to walk nowadays. Buy some fancy machine to do all the work so that they can just continue being lazy. But in this case it ain't work, these fellows are out there for a good time. In my opinion from the pictures it does look like they are just going back and fourth across the creek. I'd like to know what indicators there are in the pictures that would make one think that there was a purposful destination, considering they have no gear whatsoever except hot dog gear.

I realize that sometimes there are no ways around it and quads are here to stay. But if it were my backyard there would be a sign that says "Enter with permission only, Your life depends on it"

I find that Quads and snowmobiles can be great work tools but nowadays for the most part they fit under the hot dog column with seadoos and jetskiis. Showing off and hotdoggen around. I'm yet to here of one thing that they have done for the environment. Built a bridge.........hahahaha i fail to see what good that is except to attract more hotdoggers and make easy access for people that call themselves outdoorsman. I call them lazy!!! Get off your quad and try to get in touch with mother nature for real because she's crying out man!!!!

Take the quads out of the picture. THAT would minimize the impact!!!!!

Sorry for being rash but every time walleyes makes apost somebody jumps in and says i disagree, and X2 or X3 against him.

I say X2 on the point that walleye is trying to drive home. These things are no good for the environment period.
My 2 cents
Old 04-17-2008, 03:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherPotch View Post
I can't believe how much some people like to instigate on this site. I don't see what is so great about there posts, i think you're just trying to push walleye's buttons. Sure he can come off a little grumpy but he has a valid point.

So why do they need to access this lake huh? So they can tear the lake up too? They have no fishing rods or any items that would imply that they are up to any good. It's obvious that they are just hotdogen around. Waist deep in the creek/slough and smileing about it. If it was me I'd be upset because getting stuck is using up valuable fishing time.

I've seen the damage these things due to natural area's and I'm just a young buck. One would think that people of age or experience would be dissapointed to see such machines in places where they don't belong. The unfortunate part is how much DISrespect alot of ATV'ers have. I said alot not all so don't jump on me.

I have no ATV, but I must certainly could put one to use. Only time i've fjorded (spelling) a creek or stream has been on my own feet and the people on shore thought i was nuts. I end up hiking in damn near every time I head out. I personaly think alot of people out there are just to damn lazy to walk nowadays. Buy some fancy machine to do all the work so that they can just continue being lazy. But in this case it ain't work, these fellows are out there for a good time. In my opinion from the pictures it does look like they are just going back and fourth across the creek. I'd like to know what indicators there are in the pictures that would make one think that there was a purposful destination, considering they have no gear whatsoever except hot dog gear.

I realize that sometimes there are no ways around it and quads are here to stay. But if it were my backyard there would be a sign that says "Enter with permission only, Your life depends on it"

I find that Quads and snowmobiles can be great work tools but nowadays for the most part they fit under the hot dog column with seadoos and jetskiis. Showing off and hotdoggen around. I'm yet to here of one thing that they have done for the environment. Built a bridge.........hahahaha i fail to see what good that is except to attract more hotdoggers and make easy access for people that call themselves outdoorsman. I call them lazy!!! Get off your quad and try to get in touch with mother nature for real because she's crying out man!!!!

Take the quads out of the picture. THAT would minimize the impact!!!!!

Sorry for being rash but every time walleyes makes apost somebody jumps in and says i disagree, and X2 or X3 against him.

I say X2 on the point that walleye is trying to drive home. These things are no good for the environment period.
My 2 cents
I'd respond, but that would just be instigating and picking on you...

Waxy
Old 04-17-2008, 04:01 PM

looks like it was a mud hole not a river or stream nice pics