Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-02-2013, 05:39 PM

Default Two fly rigging ?

Am having trouble with casting two flies under a bobber, without tangles. Best results seem to be to keep the top fly lead very short, under 6" and to use a bead head. Anyone have a better system, this is for lakes by the way.
Thanks

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-02-2013, 06:11 PM

Try opening up your loops a bit.

When you're dealing with a couple flies, a strike indicator, and some split shot I've found that a tight loop can cause more tangles than one that's more open.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:33 PM

Try using a small swivel between the end of your leader and start of your tippet...
Old 04-02-2013, 07:00 PM

^^^
Both have great advice! Also patience when casting, holding to get that loop right will save you so much frustration... and tippet!!! Also 6" is pretty close for your dropper imo
Old 04-02-2013, 07:13 PM

Its helpful to have at least 20" between flies otherwise your second hook will tend to snag on the hooked fish somewhere. In addition you are fishing the same level in the water column if the flies are close
Big open loops when casting helps lots. Throwing lots of junk often isn't pretty.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:18 PM

The hooks are over 16 " apart, I just have the top tag very short. It all casts short distance well, I'm trying to push it out 40 or 50 feet. When it works it works well, but when it tangles, well it really tangles.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-02-2013, 07:49 PM

Has anyone tried tying the top fly in line, does it hook fish at all?

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-02-2013, 08:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Has anyone tried tying the top fly in line, does it hook fish at all?
I fish 2 streamers that way,I just tie the dropper tippet to the hook bend of the first fly.It's the most tangle free method I've found after experimenting over the years with small inline swivels,3 way swivels,dropper loops,and double surgeon tags.
I don't indy-rig too often,but last year I tied up some hybrid SanJuan/wire worms and incorporated 24" of 4x right into the tying process.I tie the 4x to the shank first thing,then the chenille,then wrap with wire,and the length of 4x comes out off the butt end of the shank above the bend,then I coil it up and store them individually in mini ziplock bags from the dollar store....voila...one SJWW ready to fly,just add dropper nymph.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:10 PM

I tie right off the bend of the hook for multiple fly rigs for lake fishing...3 flies where legal. Top fly catches fish too! I usually use a bigger fly on the top

For river fishing I tie a perfection loop in the leader and add a snelled hook loop to loop for the top fly
Old 04-03-2013, 10:40 AM

I have had some nasty tangles with dropper flies too. I just read about a Belgian oval cast that would solve the issue. Details can be found at midcurrent.com.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:57 AM

Thanks guy's, some good info here.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-03-2013, 03:40 PM

Just wait. Once you get the two flies figured out, you will move on to 3. And then the fun starts over again.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:09 PM

Slowing down my casting stroke works for me.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:33 PM

Any kind of multiple fly rig is inviting tangles. Open you casting loop and "lob" your cast.... As mentioned, tying to the hook bend of the top fly helps,,, put the bigger fly on top. As you mentioned, when using a dropper keep it short and put the smaller fly on the dropper. I also started tying a swivel inline instead of using a spilt shot for weight. Tie the dropper to the swivel. The swivel also helps eliminate line twist common to multple fly riggings.