Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-12-2013, 12:47 PM

Default travelling with flyfishing rod cases

I am wondering what experiences people have had taking rod cases onto airplanes. I have heard conflicting issues.

Please define your experience as positive or negative after describing the experience.

Thanks a bunch.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-12-2013, 01:33 PM

http://fishpondusa.com/dakota-reel-case.cfm

Bringing a rod tube is not needed with this. No problem bringing 6 rods and reels lines, cameras docs. etc. Carry on sized. I use this and put everything important in and it is always in my hand.

Last edited by lannie; 03-12-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:52 PM

I flew United from Edmonton to Chicago last fall and saw a sign with a picture of a fishing rod that had a big red X over it for carry on.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:17 PM

No problems traveling to the US or Mexico on Air Canada with fly rods, reels, lines, tippet, etc. Hooks need to be checked. Heard the same with West Jet, but no 1st hand exp. Best to check with the specific carrier and Canada Boarder Services or TSA in the USA.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
http://fishpondusa.com/dakota-reel-case.cfm

Bringing a rod tube is not needed with this. No problem bringing 6 rods and reels lines, cameras docs. etc. Carry on sized. I use this and put everything important in and it is always in my hand.
That is what I am looking at also. Good to know.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-12-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
No problems traveling to the US or Mexico on Air Canada with fly rods, reels, lines, tippet, etc. Hooks need to be checked. Heard the same with West Jet, but no 1st hand exp. Best to check with the specific carrier and Canada Boarder Services or TSA in the USA.
Oh ya. Hooks was something I forgot to think about traveling with. Has anyone had them confiscated?
Old 03-12-2013, 02:52 PM

This is from the TSA's website. They actually recommend taking them on carry on. First time last month i have actually carried flies on carry on. No one blinked an eye with American Airlines. United is apparently different?
Gord Kennedy at West winds is very knowledgeable and as i recall 2 months ago he stated hooks up to 2 1/2 " were good to go. That does not look right to me, maybe it is 2 1/2 centimeters but that is bigger than any Tarpon fly I have. I would just really hate to get to my destination and not have my own personal gear. Anything less to me would be just plain rotten. I have seen rods packed many different ways getting stowed in carry on any have never witnessed any problems for fisher types and baggage.

Fishing Rods/Poles

Fishing Rods are permitted as carry-on and checked baggage. However, please check with your air carrier to confirm that it fits within their size limitations for carry-on items. Ultimately, it is the carrier's decision as to whether or not it can be transported as carry-on baggage.

Spear Guns

Spear guns are prohibited from carry-on luggage. These items should be packed in checked luggage. Any sharp objects packed in checked luggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and security screeners.

Tackle Equipment

Fishing equipment should be placed in your checked baggage. Some tackle equipment can be considered sharp and dangerous. Expensive reels or fragile tackle such as fly's should be packed in your carry-on baggage.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
This is from the TSA's website. They actually recommend taking them on carry on. First time last month i have actually carried flies on carry on. No one blinked an eye with American Airlines. United is apparently different?
Gord Kennedy at West winds is very knowledgeable and as i recall 2 months ago he stated hooks up to 2 1/2 " were good to go. That does not look right to me, maybe it is 2 1/2 centimeters but that is bigger than any Tarpon fly I have. I would just really hate to get to my destination and not have my own personal gear. Anything less to me would be just plain rotten. I have seen rods packed many different ways getting stowed in carry on any have never witnessed any problems for fisher types and baggage.

Fishing Rods/Poles

Fishing Rods are permitted as carry-on and checked baggage. However, please check with your air carrier to confirm that it fits within their size limitations for carry-on items. Ultimately, it is the carrier's decision as to whether or not it can be transported as carry-on baggage.

Spear Guns

Spear guns are prohibited from carry-on luggage. These items should be packed in checked luggage. Any sharp objects packed in checked luggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and security screeners.

Tackle Equipment

Fishing equipment should be placed in your checked baggage. Some tackle equipment can be considered sharp and dangerous. Expensive reels or fragile tackle such as fly's should be packed in your carry-on baggage.
http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/trav...ent.shtml#fish

I searched and found this. They say tackle box...so fish hooks would be expected I would think.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:33 PM

I have had no problems with 4 piece fly and spinning rods in a tube on AA, Delta or West jet. I bring the reels in my carry-on as well. I have brought tackle and fly's in my carry-on in the past with no problems until last year when I had them confiscated in Kingston JamaicaLuckily my wife's mother works security at the airport and got them back for me..Now I put all my tackle and fly's in my checked luggage.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:12 PM

I flew from Alberta to NF on Air Canada. Flew back with West Jet, I had two four piece rod tubes and reels in a backpack. I didn't have any problems. I also put my flies in checked baggage.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:07 AM

flown all around the world with both single handed/spey rods. checked luggage, in a bazooka rod case. never had a problem.

i've had luggage not show up, but never a rod case.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:12 AM

After hearing nightmare stories about lost gear a friend and I decided to courier our rods (5 of them) to Nova Scotia in a large multi-rod tube.

3 of 5 arrived broken - far as we could figure, someone ran over the rod tube with a vehicle or airline cart....

Travelled back from England with a couple hundred flies (all smaller) in my carry-on a few years back. Lots of resistance from security, long discussion; eventually I asked if I could hand them to the stewardess when I got on the plane? A discussion with the supervisor and they just let me keep them in my carry on. I would check them from now on though.

On a side note, I only own "unlimited lifetime warranty" rods since that experience.

Cheers.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
3 of 5 arrived broken - far as we could figure, someone ran over the rod tube with a vehicle or airline cart....

On a side note, I only own "unlimited lifetime warranty" rods since that experience.

Cheers.
I would be choked!! Wow!!

Flying to Sacremento a few times a year, I have never had any problems with carrying my rod tubes on a plane. I did have security stop me about my flys once, but after a calm disscussion they let me keep them on carry on.

Flys will probably settle down now that TSA is allowing small knives back on flights.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21678267
Old 03-16-2013, 09:00 PM

Smile

I like the looks of that Fishpond Case. Even if you were to put it in checked baggage. At least it is all in one place.

I had a bad experience carrying on one 2 piece, 9' 8wt that I was using for bone fishing. I had checked it into regular baggage. I was on a flight to Grand Cayman. Our flight had been delayed in Miami for a 4 hours due to a tropical storm. Once we arrived in Grand Cayman, we lined up with everyone to claim our baggage. I gathered up our suitcases and so did everyone else on the flight. Everything appeared ok except NO ROD CASE. I was getting panicky. A security guard came over and asked me if everything was OK. I told him I was missing a rod case with a rod in it. He went back to check on it.

Mean while I poked my head into where the luggage came out. It was just a 4X4 hole with plastic strips hanging down. I yelled at the guys in the back to get my rod out. 5 minutes later all of a sudden here comes my rod case. I was relieved to get it. But since then I have never traveled with a 2 piece rod. Since then I always use 4 piece or more rods for traveling.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:20 PM

Default not all fun...

flew through Europe, they wanted to charge me for an extra suitcase 'cause I had a 2 pc. 7 wt rod in a case. Turned out they were wrong and I had another pc of luggage anyway in my allowance, so no extra charge. However, they busted my rod case. Rod was fine, that is the good news...going to the Chobe river in Botswana for tilapia and tiger fish next week.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:11 AM

Update. Calgary to Cuba flight. My orvis case identical to the fish pond case with 4 Ross and reels had no problem through security. I asked if flies were ok next time he said for 6 months they have been ok.

Just thought to let you all know.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Update. Calgary to Cuba flight. My orvis case identical to the fish pond case with 4 Ross and reels had no problem through security. I asked if flies were ok next time he said for 6 months they have been ok.

Just thought to let you all know.
It is a great case and it sure is nice getting on the plane with your gear hey!
Knew you would not have a problem, Have a great trip and best of luck on the flats!
Old 04-06-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
flown all around the world with both single handed/spey rods. checked luggage, in a bazooka rod case. never had a problem.

i've had luggage not show up, but never a rod case.
Bazooka for me as well!
I had a four piece in my bad just in case the bazooka went "missing" or was damaged.
Cat
Old 04-06-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Bazooka for me as well!
I had a four piece in my bad just in case the bazooka went "missing" or was damaged.
Cat
My buddy on a trip to Belize saw continental lose all his luggage and rods. Mine showed up so we shared a few days until the organizer tracked it down.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
It is a great case and it sure is nice getting on the plane with your gear hey!
Knew you would not have a problem, Have a great trip and best of luck on the flats!
Not sure what to expect but I am pumped. Can hardly wait.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:17 AM

I have my rod case with a bag for my cameras and such and that met the requirement of one carry on and one personal bag.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:11 PM

Cuba is an eye opening experience
Old 04-06-2013, 07:36 PM

Just had a great garlic shrimp dish. Glass of red wine. I was brought a bottle of Italian bottled water. Good water. Them Italians know their water.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:37 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Just had a great garlic shrimp dish. Glass of red wine. I was brought a bottle of Italian bottled water. Good water. Them Italians know their water.
hope you got the proper roaming package???, where are you staying?