Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-20-2008, 07:06 PM

Default Planner boards

Hi all

I recently acquired some Cannon planner boards and a planner board mast.The boards are
large.Does anyone have info on how to run theses boards.I have all the accesseries that go with these boards.I just need some info on how to rig to board as well as the trolling rod.Any help would be great.Thanks
Old 04-22-2008, 01:37 PM
Banned

Default Planer Boards

I have not used a mast/planer board for years, but my setup was on about a 4' Aluminium pole. I made it myself, it had a large reel on the bottom with steel line and another small swivel/pulley on the top of the mast. On the side of the board you install your clip release (similar to a downrigger release), and run your line however far behind the board you like and then clip your fishing line in the release. You unwind your reel that is mounted with the steel line (or superbraid, we didn't have that back then) until the board is the distance you want it away from the boat. When the fish strikes, you set the hook clearing it from the release and play your fish, just with the fishing line. When the fish is netted at the boat, you wind your board back in and reclip your fishing line to it. It is much simplier than my explanation, but unless your really set on using the mast style board I would go to one of the inline models by Church, or Off shore, you need a little stiffer rod with the inline board, but they are much easier to use IMO.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:29 PM

Hey Dude,

Hows the fishing been? Where did you pick up your boards from? Was looking at getting some myself as the kids want to do some more fishing with me and 3 lines in the water will be too much of a headache. Used them years ago when I was a kid and cannot remember how they release exactly but I know they worked great for getting your lure away from the boat.

Good luck