Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-09-2011, 06:50 PM

Default Coyote Decoys

Hi Coyote Hunters: I have spend a good deal of time over the last month putting snow camo paint on everything, but I noticed that the 'yotes are still focusing on the sound from the mouth blown call I am using...man they can pinpoint the exact location of that dying rabbit sound from a long way off.

I had an idea to use a plastic owl/crow decoy as a confidence decoy. I hung a feather from the owl decoy to have a little motion in the breeze.

Have any others tried this technique...to be frank I am not anxious to carry more call site than I have to.

Thoughts?

Hoopi

BTW: I shot my first coyote on Jan 2nd and I am hooked again
Old 01-09-2011, 07:28 PM

it ws posted on another thread one guy uses a white plastic bag tied to a stick and just lets the wind blow it a bit i tryed this it seems to work fairly well
Old 01-09-2011, 07:54 PM

Another good method is to make sure you don't over call.....make the coyote look for you. If you call every 5 minutes he has more time, as he gets closer and closer, to pinpoint your location. Give him enough time to get to you after your first calling sequence.....
Old 01-09-2011, 08:07 PM

a guy told me he uses a goose wing he hangs it from a stick and lets the wind do the work he said it works great
Old 01-10-2011, 08:44 PM

Default Thanks for the tips

HI Everyone: I like these tips, I am going to give them a try this weekend. Look out 'yotes

Hoopi
Old 01-10-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkynuts View Post
it ws posted on another thread one guy uses a white plastic bag tied to a stick and just lets the wind blow it a bit i tryed this it seems to work fairly well
i think that was me lol, maybe a walmart or other dark bag, ive heard of some people getting an old teddy bear and cast it with a fishing rod before they call, then they can control the motion and bring it closer but ive never tried it.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage7mm View Post
i think that was me lol, maybe a walmart or other dark bag, ive heard of some people getting an old teddy bear and cast it with a fishing rod before they call, then they can control the motion and bring it closer but ive never tried it.

Lol I can just see it now... a new show emerges on Wild TV with guys like Jim shockey yanking on a fishing rod out in a -30 degree snow filled field with a coyote yanking on the end of the line with a stuffed bear in its mouth as it heads for the trees. LMAO The struggle is on to pull that yote back out into the clear for a shot, back and forth they go, gain a few feet but loose 40 feet as the yote runs the line out but eventually he tires and he is reeled in and netted then held up for pictures and weighed. The name of the show? Fishing is for the dogs? (anyone got better?)

The commercials will be filled with ads for miracle "coyote baits" to cast out on your line with scents and wiggling motors. 80 Lb test lines and fishing blinds with rod holders for when you have a real biggun on the line. The govt will no doubt end up taxing this excercise and selling licenses and bag limits for the day. Minimum size restrictions or else you'll have to "throw them back" hah. Coyote fishing tournaments?

LOL oh sorry did I get a little carried away with that? Had quite a chuckle to myself about it... although thats not such a crazy sounding idea when you consider how stupid bowfishing must have sounded 20 years ago hey? hey.... PATENT PENDING!!!
Old 01-12-2011, 10:07 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_fool1 View Post
Lol I can just see it now... a new show emerges on Wild TV with guys like Jim shockey yanking on a fishing rod out in a -30 degree snow filled field with a coyote yanking on the end of the line with a stuffed bear in its mouth as it heads for the trees. LMAO The struggle is on to pull that yote back out into the clear for a shot, back and forth they go, gain a few feet but loose 40 feet as the yote runs the line out but eventually he tires and he is reeled in and netted then held up for pictures and weighed. The name of the show? Fishing is for the dogs? (anyone got better?)

The commercials will be filled with ads for miracle "coyote baits" to cast out on your line with scents and wiggling motors. 80 Lb test lines and fishing blinds with rod holders for when you have a real biggun on the line. The govt will no doubt end up taxing this excercise and selling licenses and bag limits for the day. Minimum size restrictions or else you'll have to "throw them back" hah. Coyote fishing tournaments?

LOL oh sorry did I get a little carried away with that? Had quite a chuckle to myself about it... although thats not such a crazy sounding idea when you consider how stupid bowfishing must have sounded 20 years ago hey? hey.... PATENT PENDING!!!
sounds like a good idea lmao, maybe rub the teddy in ground beef first lol. this will be the next bow fishing lmao, i might hae to try this out
Old 01-12-2011, 11:05 PM
Gone Hunting

If the coyote is focused on you, kill him.

I don't use a decoy unless maybe I'm in the southern U.S. The desert can be thick and a decoy will hold the pred's attention while I get the shot.

In Alberta, I have used a magpie wing on a barb wire fence with some success.

But really I worry more about being busted while I"m setting up a decoy than putting on a visual for the coyote.

I've hunted with a lot of guys and everyone of them calls differently.

I call lots and loud. I don't want the coyote to 'think' about anything that might tip him to what's going on. I want him focused and coming in hard.
He can stop when I tell him to stop, and that's gonna be inside the 200yard marker. closer if there is more than one.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-13-2011, 07:29 PM

redfrog do you think coyote fishing could be a new sport lol, rub it in somthing they like the taste maybe the will hang on, you seem to call in lots you should try coyote fishing lmao