Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-05-2011, 09:06 AM

Default Buffalo Hunting in BC

Anyone know of an outfitter that provides WILD buffalo hunts in BC? Thanks!
Old 01-05-2011, 11:22 AM

Here you go, or if you like, check out the GOABC website.

http://www.sikanniriver.com/bison.htm
Old 01-05-2011, 11:31 AM

Thanks! Its hard to find a Buffalo hunt that isn't canned.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:33 AM
sheephunter

NWT and Yukon both offer free-range bison hunts as well.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
NWT and Yukon both offer free-range bison hunts as well.
Those the one around Fort Liard? Remember throwing rocks at em when they got too close for comfort. hehe

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 01-05-2011, 12:19 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
Those the one around Fort Liard? Remember throwing rocks at em when they got too close for comfort. hehe
Ya, the Natives run a hunt out of there. Both the Yukon and NWT are good deals for Canadians as Americans can't import wood bison.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Ya, the Natives run a hunt out of there. Both the Yukon and NWT are good deals for Canadians as Americans can't import wood bison.
If I remember correctly the natives there don't even like eaten them things. They like their moose.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 01-05-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Good to know!
Old 01-05-2011, 04:32 PM

You bet i killed a dandy with mike and dixie hemmet, with sikinni river outfitters.
top notch outfit and a great pilot too, easy to get too there area and great lodging. all around great tough hunt.Thats mike in the middle

Old 01-05-2011, 07:22 PM

Anyone know prices in BC, NWT, and or Yukon?
Old 01-05-2011, 09:32 PM

**** i didn't relize how big these things were, whats the smallest gun you can use on these beast, would love to hunt these guys

CN
Old 01-05-2011, 10:22 PM
Banned

I agree that thing is huge! How did you pack it out? I was told that the cape and head can weigh about 500 pounds.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:54 PM

at Liard River hotsprings b.c. (on the mainhighway to watson lake) a few years ago,
the bison like to eat the grass near the highway, and will stand "dozing" in a group in the middle of the highway in order to stay away from flys and mosquitos. The traffic was slowly passing them on either side of the highway. The "sport" of hunting those ones would be like shooting a barn door from ten feet away.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:21 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattle Dog View Post
The "sport" of hunting those ones would be like shooting a barn door from ten feet away.
Unhunted populations tend to be like that. They habituate fairly quickly. Try matching witts with a routinely hunted population and you'll change your mind about bison though.

Last edited by sheephunter; 01-05-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:01 AM

That looks like a great animal you got there!
Old 01-06-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattle Dog View Post
at Liard River hotsprings b.c. (on the mainhighway to watson lake) a few years ago,
the bison like to eat the grass near the highway, and will stand "dozing" in a group in the middle of the highway in order to stay away from flys and mosquitos. The traffic was slowly passing them on either side of the highway. The "sport" of hunting those ones would be like shooting a barn door from ten feet away.
Tj got it right, this is not a hunt for the faint hearted, be ready to walk miles up the mountain, the wild buffalo are used to being run around by wolfes up htere and are not easy to hunt,

Then when you get them down is when the work starts, usually you can get a quad or skidoo to them and just cut them up in chunks off the bone, but the head is around 300 pounds itself with the hide. Fun hunt though and there tough.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
Tj got it right, this is not a hunt for the faint hearted, be ready to walk miles up the mountain, the wild buffalo are used to being run around by wolfes up htere and are not easy to hunt,

Then when you get them down is when the work starts, usually you can get a quad or skidoo to them and just cut them up in chunks off the bone, but the head is around 300 pounds itself with the hide. Fun hunt though and there tough.
What does it cost aprox to go on the hunt? Also wondering what kind of $$ a guy is looking at if he gets a shoulder mount on the beast!?
Old 01-06-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
Far from my exprience. Don't know where your hunt was but I was working on the west side of the Liard river and as I say we would have to throw rocks at em to rid them of our work area. Far far from the hiway, and on the opposite side of the river to boot. Lots on the road too. Now whether or not there was a hunt on that side i do not know.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 01-06-2011, 08:41 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Far from my exprience. Don't know where your hunt was but I was working on the west side of the Liard river and as I say we would have to throw rocks at em to rid them of our work area. Far far from the hiway, and on the opposite side of the river to boot. Lots on the road too. Now whether or not there was a hunt on that side i do not know.
Nope, there's no hunt for the Liard herd...only the herd around Pink Mountain. The ones you NEVER see on the highway. Comparing the Liard bison to a hunted population is kind of like comparing elk in Jasper to a hunted population.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Nope, there's no hunt for the Liard herd...only the herd around Pink Mountain. The ones you NEVER see on the highway. Comparing the Liard bison to a hunted population is kind of like comparing elk in Jasper to a hunted population.
Now where did I ever compare anything?

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 01-06-2011, 08:51 AM

i have to agree with TJ. the highway between Fort Providence and Yellowknife is polluted with bison, and yes you have to sometimes wait for them to get out of the way when you are traveling. When you head the 70 kms off the road to the bison hunting camp they are a completely different animal, they will bolt as soon as a whitetail. we stalked up to 5 last wednesday on the shore of the north arm of gsl. we were about 70 yds away when they spotted us, and boom they were gone, the only bull didn't offer a shot, so we'll head back out friday.
this hunt by the way is my friends metis tag, but it is bulls only.
i know the band in Fort providence is alloted a certain number of tags per season and offer guided hunts, i don't know the price though.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:52 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Now where did I ever compare anything?
You didn't...I did....
Old 01-12-2011, 03:20 PM

The Liard herd is not hunted, thus they don't care about people. We have some further north up in the Yukon that were not hunted till about ten years ago, maybe a bit more, that used to frequent the highway between Whitehorse and Haines Junction, used to act the same, not a care in the world. Getting one now is a different story, tough hunt, way in the backcountry, not uncommon to spot a herd and chase all day, they are spooky now....