Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-15-2017, 11:37 AM

Default recommendations on Fish finders

Hello All

I would like to purchase a fish finder. The last one I owned was a hummingbird wide eye purchased in the late 90's or early 2000's. I have been researching them and decided that one that would work for ice fishing and for in my kayak in the summer would be preferred. But obviously ice fishing takes priority at the moment. I would like GPS, Flasher and normal fish finder. What is everyone's opinion. I dont have a large amount of money that the wife will approve of for this LOL
Old 11-15-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellitsme View Post
Hello All

I would like to purchase a fish finder. The last one I owned was a hummingbird wide eye purchased in the late 90's or early 2000's. I have been researching them and decided that one that would work for ice fishing and for in my kayak in the summer would be preferred. But obviously ice fishing takes priority at the moment. I would like GPS, Flasher and normal fish finder. What is everyone's opinion. I dont have a large amount of money that the wife will approve of for this LOL
I would look at the Helix 5 or 7 or the Lowrance Hook series. I have a Helix 9 and love it. The 5 and 7's fit in the Humminbird portable cases and you can use the ice transducer with them as well. I believe Cabelas has the Helix 5 with the ice ducer and portable case as a package now. They had some deals on the Hook series last weekend as well. Not advertised, just a in store clearance.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 11-15-2017, 12:27 PM

Helix 5 ice unit is probably the way to go then buy the summer transducer for your kayak and you are set for both.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:41 PM

I agree, anything in the helix lineup that you can afford.

I have two Helix 5's (gen 1 and gen 2) and highly recommend them for both open and hard water.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:02 PM

I also agree on the Helix 5, very easy to use and trouble free.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:24 PM

Default recommendations on Fish finders

I've become a big fan of Garmin over the last couple years. They are priced reasonably, the new ones have CHIRP transducers, and you can build your own contour maps for free (and they are very accurate and look awesome on the screen).

I have the Echomap 45dv. It's a couple years old now (I have down scanning but don't have chirp) but I'm really happy with it. It came pre loaded with Canada LakeVu maps and I've since become obsessed with making my own which is a lot of fun. My only complaint is that I want to go to a different model with a slightly bigger screen.

The smaller ones would work great on a kayak and I also use mine in the wintertime wired to a small 12v gel cell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2017, 06:06 AM

If your happy with an older model, check out Wholesale Sports, they have a few open boxed items "refurbished" that are heavily discounted, and then there's the closing discount on top of that. 5 years ago I paid $100 for a 385c DI with a portable pack. It's just a 3" screen but does everything the 1st gen Helix 5 did.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:48 AM

I also run a Helix 5 DI on my boat. Really simple to use and does everything I need it to. Was an upgrade from having no depth finder and it made a night and day difference for me. Very clear screen and I find the 5" screen more than big enough from my driver's seat, so I'm sure it would be great for a kayak.

The Helix 5 ICE wasn't out yet when I bought mine, and I've debated ever since whether to get a flasher for winter or get the ice transducer, battery, etc. for my Helix. Decided to go with an ICE-45 flasher I found on sale - can't wait to try it.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:35 AM

Lowrance just released an all new version of their Hook series, the Hook2.

https://www.lowrance.com/lowrance/series/hook2/

No idea when they'll actually be available, but looks like some pretty nice upgrades and cool features to be had at a very affordable price point.

A new model coming out meas there's usually some really good deals to be had on the previous generation units too.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:37 PM
Banned

I got the helix 5 si and really like it as well. Great unit. I'm going to get the ice transducer and try it out this winter on the ice
Old 11-18-2017, 07:37 PM

Thank you all I went with the Helix 5 w/ Chip DI GPS got it for $350. Want to got the Ice ducer and get out.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
I would look at the Helix 5 or 7 or the Lowrance Hook series. I have a Helix 9 and love it. The 5 and 7's fit in the Humminbird portable cases and you can use the ice transducer with them as well. I believe Cabelas has the Helix 5 with the ice ducer and portable case as a package now. They had some deals on the Hook series last weekend as well. Not advertised, just a in store clearance.

SS
Hey Sam,
My boat came with a brand new Helix 9 which is WAY beyond my technical capabilities right now (haven't really had time to dig through the manual yet. I was wondering if this unit can be used with an ice transducer, or if it would pull too much power to be able to use a small battery? Thoughts?
Old 11-24-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler3878 View Post
Hey Sam,
My boat came with a brand new Helix 9 which is WAY beyond my technical capabilities right now (haven't really had time to dig through the manual yet. I was wondering if this unit can be used with an ice transducer, or if it would pull too much power to be able to use a small battery? Thoughts?
Hey Wrangler,

I'm sure you could use the ice transducer with the 9, but the battery life would be shorter for sure. The reason I suggest the 5 or 7 is that Humminbird makes a portable pack that these fit in and it comes with the battery. The 9 won't fit, so you would need to make a custom case for it. Not a big deal though.

I'm not sure where you are located, but if you ever want someone to help you figure your unit out let me know. I won't claim to know everything about them, but I have used mine pretty hard for the last couple summers.

SS

Old 11-24-2017, 06:05 PM

I picked up a Helix CHIRP 7 SI GPS G2N, converted into my ice unit. Just ordered the XI 9 1521 transducer for it. Should workout nicely.
I also run a Helix 9 MEGA CHIRP SI GPS in my boat. Don't know if the XI 9 1521 transducer will be compatible with it.... website says the transducer works with Helix 5 & 7 Chirp units only....
Old 11-24-2017, 07:57 PM

The XI 9 20 is compatible with the original Helix units. I don’t think they work with the new Helix Gen2 units.

SS

Old 11-25-2017, 02:55 AM

You don’t need an ice transducer, there just more convenient. I have a HB 789 and used the normal ducer and the ice fishing mode. Worked fine.
I took the ducer bolt out of the mount, flattened the end of a metal broomstick, drilled a hole through it and bolted the ducer to it.
Cut the broom stick down to a couple feet and keep the ducer pointed the same way you would on a boat, horizontal. I put a perpendicular stick on the broom stick that would move up or down, yet hold the ducer stick on its own. This was to keep it at the right depth and quick and easy to lift in and out.
Again, it’s not as convenient, but for the $120 for just a transducer I figured it was better to buy a flasher for twice the price. I could sell the flasher easy, but a ducer not so easy.
IMO a flasher is much better for the ice. By the time you get a case, ducer and battery you can buy an ICE 35.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:49 AM

Convenient, yes especially because I mounted my Helix 7 ducer on my trolling motor. It would be a hassle to switch back and forth and mount on this and that.......
$120 is a fair price to pay for convenience(since I paid under retail for the 7). Battery and case, I had left over from one of my older units. Tapped some new holes on the shuttle, fits like a glove. A new update was released by Humminbird for the Helix 5, 7 chirp units basically makes it the "new" Helix chip ICE units that hit the stores this year.

Last edited by HappyShootMore; 11-25-2017 at 04:58 AM.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyShootMore View Post
Convenient, yes especially because I mounted my Helix 7 ducer on my trolling motor. It would be a hassle to switch back and forth and mount on this and that.......

$120 is a fair price to pay for convenience(since I paid under retail for the 7). Battery and case, I had left over from one of my older units. Tapped some new holes on the shuttle, fits like a glove. A new update was released by Humminbird for the Helix 5, 7 chirp units basically makes it the "new" Helix chip ICE units that hit the stores this year.

Mine is mounted on my troller also and considering you only need to undo 1 bolt twice a year it’s not that big of a deal. Not sure about the back and forth since I’ve never needed my boat before March, lol.
If you have a case that works for your Helix I’d say your situation is different.
$120 for ducer, $60? For a case and $20-$40 for a battery for the majority of people brings it up to 2 thirds the price of a flasher, and you don’t have to do the ‘back and forth’ with the boat sonar. 8-)
That was my logic.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Hey Wrangler,

I'm sure you could use the ice transducer with the 9, but the battery life would be shorter for sure. The reason I suggest the 5 or 7 is that Humminbird makes a portable pack that these fit in and it comes with the battery. The 9 won't fit, so you would need to make a custom case for it. Not a big deal though.

I'm not sure where you are located, but if you ever want someone to help you figure your unit out let me know. I won't claim to know everything about them, but I have used mine pretty hard for the last couple summers.

SS
Thanks for the info Sam, figured it was too good to be true!

I'm up between Bonnyville and Cold Lake, I'll try and study up with the manual, hopefully it explains things in lay man's terms, but if you're up here somewhere for sure would be handy to walk me through it! Thanks
Old 11-29-2017, 10:56 AM

I just did my Bird a few weeks ago. Got the ducer off Amazon for $106 and bigger 12 amp battery $36 and had a spare backpack in a closet so no cost there. Cut some wood to fit the base of the backpack and added a bit of a platform to get the finder up and works like a dam. My old one was an old Eagle that I used for years and worked well. I do like the maps/gps feature and be able to mark spots on the ice.