Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-02-2016, 04:13 PM

Default Wyoming Elk Hunt (2015)

Last year I travelled from New Zealand to Wyoming for an awesome DIY public land elk hunt. Saw a few bugling bulls and managed to take one with my Elite Energy 32. My buddy called him in and I took the shot at 30 yards.

Heres a few photos.

Old 07-02-2016, 04:28 PM

Beauty bull man. A big timber archery bull is high on my list of things to do.
Over the counter?
Old 07-02-2016, 05:28 PM

Thanks KBF. I had a general tag which is draw only as I'm a non resident. I managed to draw one this year too in the special draw (high odds but higher cost).
Old 07-02-2016, 07:53 PM

Thing of beauty
Old 07-02-2016, 08:53 PM

Great pictures , great bull. Pretty jealous as my elk seasons last 2 have been garbage
Old 07-03-2016, 12:31 AM

Default Westland Roar Trip

Probably a bit of a stretch to call this a hunting report but here are some iphone photos of my trip into a haast block in April for the red deer roar.

Had an awesome time taking the bow for a walk. Saw a few deer and got to about 15 yards of a decent stag in thick bush but no chance of a shot - he wasn't roaring but snuck in. I hate that

Excellent service provided by Greenstone Helicopters.

Found a wallow in the bush

And on the tops

Cool scenery

Some more views

Easy river access
Old 07-03-2016, 01:13 AM

Ok, sorry guys I really messed up! I was trying to add another report but looks like I added to my Wyoming report......and cant work out how to edit my posts

Anyway I got this pronghorn spot and stalk on public land with my bow on my Wyoming trip last year.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:41 AM

Wow, great animals and pics. I just bought a bow a few months ago, seeing stuff like this sure gets me excited. Although I'm also very overwhelmed and skeptical that I'll ever put it all together, time will tell I guess. Congrats!
Old 07-03-2016, 10:04 AM

Nice pictures!!
That is very nice bull elk
New Zealand is a beautiful country, just got back from there the 1st of June.

TEH

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:48 PM

TEH, great trophies! Are you getting the taxidermy done in NZ and then shipped back to Cananda?
Old 07-04-2016, 08:04 AM

Outstanding pics...although pics tell most of the story most would be interested to hear more details...i know I would....great job

Neil
Old 07-04-2016, 09:14 AM
Banned

Congrats! Nice bull
Old 07-05-2016, 12:01 AM

Heres a bit of a story behind my elk and pronghorn hunt.

The trip planning started way back in late 2014. I spent a lot of time researching and importantly understanding the hunting regulations for a few of the elk hunting states i.e Utah, Montana, Colorado, Oregon and Wyoming. Wyoming seemed like the best bet as it didn't have OTC tags, which I liked as I thought it would keep the hunter numbers down a bit, and I knew the scenery was fantastic.

After winning an elk and pronghorn tag my trip plans were finalised. A cheap flight took me first to Brisbane and then to LA and finally to Salt Lake City. SLC is a great place, not too big and surrounded by beautiful desert and mountains. I took my time driving to Wyoming to meet a mate that I would be hunting with. I spent a couple of days visiting Grand Teton National Park and saw bear, elk, fox, moose and some very impressive mountains. No need for an alarm clock as the wolves woke me early and I was not sleeping in after knowing they were looking for breakfast haha

I spent the next 4 days trying for a pronghorn with my bow. Many people had told me this would be difficult and they were right! I would have averaged 3 stalks a day with out success. Pronghorn have incredible eye sight and they continuously rotate their head so basically have 360 degrees covered. So with a bow they easily see you when you get close, range, draw and shoot.

I did find a spot that provided good cover. A dry 4 meter deep drain / creek allowed me to sneak undetected to a regular feeding spot. One evening a saw a lone buck out feeding (single animals make getting close much easier!). He was one that had eluded me previously at the exact same spot. I got to the point in the creek that would allow me to pop up and be 30 yards from the feeding buck. This time the plan worked and I looked over the lip (at full draw) and he was head down feeding. I made a good lung shot and he walked 20 yards and lay down. I left him there until morning.

I got back at first light and he was at the same spot frozen solid. I gutted him and chucked him in the back of hire car, luckily no blood on the seats haha. I took him back to my mates place and we butchered him.

The elk hunt started on the opening day for archery. My American mate was a fantastic host. We set up an awesome camp which include the iconic canvas tent and a corral for the horses. First light of opening day we took the horses an hour from camp. We then heard 3 bulls bugling which was definitely a trip highlight. We called in the first bull and got him to 30 yards. I messed up the stalk and he saw movement and took off. While a little disappointed I was hoping the next bull would be bigger. He looked like a fairly young 5x5 bull.

A second bull was bugling hard out so we decided to go take a look. My mate stayed back and did a prefect job to bring him into bow range. He was moving quickly and I could see him coming in so I drew my bow. Then he stopped behind a tree at 30 yards. I couldn't get a clear shot so waiting with the bow at full draw, may be a minute later he stepped out and I took the shot. He was shot and headed straight down the hill.

Now this is were the horses come in. Once we got to the bull we got a few photos and butchered the bull and loaded up the horses. I enjoy the carry in New Zealand but this bull was huge. Also at 10,000 feet the air is bloody thin. It was a great experience using the horses and highly recommended if you get a chance. My knees were also grateful for the light load back to camp.

I'm getting both the bull and buck shoulder mounted in the US and sent back to NZ.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:28 PM

Great story thanks for sharing...

Neil
Old 12-18-2016, 10:16 PM

Finally got my trophies shipped to New Zealand and on my wall.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:45 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Beauty, thanks for sharing with us.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-05-2017, 05:03 PM

Congratulations, beautiful bull. What do you hunt in Kiwi land?
Would love to visit your country some day.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger CS View Post
Congratulations, beautiful bull. What do you hunt in Kiwi land?
Would love to visit your country some day.
I hunt mainly red deer, chamois and tahr. I live in the north island so hunt red deer a lot and then South Island trips for tahr and chamois. It's a great place to hunt, no tags or seasons for anyone who wants to hunt public land.
Old 01-07-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anotherkiwi View Post
I hunt mainly red deer, chamois and tahr. I live in the north island so hunt red deer a lot and then South Island trips for tahr and chamois. It's a great place to hunt, no tags or seasons for anyone who wants to hunt public land.
So would that apply to me as a non resident. To maybe vacation there and get a hunt in while I was there as well?
Old 01-10-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z7Extreme View Post
So would that apply to me as a non resident. To maybe vacation there and get a hunt in while I was there as well?
Yes, anyone can hunt public land. There aren't any real restrictions except some popular areas are balloted during the rut & roar but this is just to manage access and doesn't limit what you can hunt.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Yes, anyone can hunt public land. There aren't any real restrictions except some popular areas are balloted during the rut & roar but this is just to manage access and doesn't limit what you can hunt.
What do you mean by balloted?
Old 01-17-2017, 03:26 PM

Great story, and fantastic pictures too. Thanks for taking the time to write it up, really enjoyed it. Great hunting, congratulations!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-17-2017, 04:53 PM

Awesome!
Old 01-18-2017, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z7Extreme View Post
What do you mean by balloted?
Good question. Some areas in the south island are very popular during the roar / rut. . To be allowed to hunt these areas you have to win a ballot (lottery or draw) . Its pretty cheap, some free, and easy. The prime blocks are very difficult to win (may be 5% chance) but many areas are good odds (may be 75%). Hope this makes sense - here's an example http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-rec...-block-system/
Old 01-21-2017, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Good question. Some areas in the south island are very popular during the roar / rut. . To be allowed to hunt these areas you have to win a ballot (lottery or draw) . Its pretty cheap, some free, and easy. The prime blocks are very difficult to win (may be 5% chance) but many areas are good odds (may be 75%). Hope this makes sense - here's an example http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-rec...-block-system/
Right on. Thanks for the info
Old 01-22-2017, 02:58 PM

Nice job! Looks like a couple great hunts.