Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-23-2013, 05:47 PM

Default Question about releases

I've been using an old Tru fire ( lower end) for years and it has served me well but it is showing its age and I'm looking for a replacement. My research seems to show that Scott is a very preferred brand.

The basic : " Caliper " model ( Low end) interests me. My question is: Do the more expensive models have better mechanics and materials in release mechanism ? Also, are the lower end Scotts junk or just as solid as the higher end ?

All advice welcome
Old 07-23-2013, 06:00 PM

I shoot a Scott Shark, best release I ever bought and it was under $100... Has a leather strap with a belt type buckle. It's all reinforced the release neck is adjustable and you have to use an Allen key to adjust it so its not going to move on you if you Tighten it down. It is a caliper which I like, and it's very durable.

Stik'em
Old 07-23-2013, 06:48 PM

A release is the one thing I always suggest to spend a little more on. To me there is a huge difference in how clean a cheap release shoots compared to higher end, just smoother and more precise. I would look at releases in the $100 range. A single caliper seems to be more accurate for me also.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:02 PM

I use a Scott "Wildcat" release.....like EM so much I have a spare.

LC
Old 07-23-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stik'em View Post
I shoot a Scott Shark, best release I ever bought and it was under $100... Has a leather strap with a belt type buckle. It's all reinforced the release neck is adjustable and you have to use an Allen key to adjust it so its not going to move on you if you Tighten it down. It is a caliper which I like, and it's very durable.

Stik'em
x2, love it!

Schian
Old 07-23-2013, 10:21 PM

Love Scott releases. I spent the extra cash for the wolf dual caliper. My favorite release yet. But even there lower price ones are great.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:16 PM

:d I shoot one of the under rated releases out there, the Jim Fletcher Fletchunter release, a single caliper release with a lifetime warrenty for under $100.00 also...

these things are indestructable and I clean mine once a year in a mud puddle wether it needs it or not...
well close anyway...I do clean it up about now with air and a wipe down then use powdered graphite on them dont use oils or sprays like WD-40 ..that stuff attracts dirt and odor

they have been around longer than most shooters, I have one that is 30 years old as my spare...before this year I had three and lost one years ago but had the other two...i added two more to my collection as I redesigned the wrist strap for hunting and used two new ones...now I will have a spare in every piece of kit and vehicle I own...lol

we put these releases up against very expensive releases in near $300.00 mark and many of the popular brands...many think they arre all the same ...but do a test involving a half dozen releases and you will have some shoot high left for example compared to others..and considerably high left..

I would keep away from the cheaper double caliper style releases..i have many a dryfired and broken bow...plus nose bleeds due to doubles slipping thru center servings and loops as they wear..

http://fletcherarchery.com/products/...eluxe-release/

JMHO
Neil
Old 07-24-2013, 09:05 PM

I shoot a fletcher as well. ( flathead). A great release!