Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-22-2008, 04:52 PM

Default Orloff Lake

I am thinking of going for a week long trip at the end of may. Has anyone ever been to Orloff before? What's the best way to quad in? From the north end or from the east side? What's the fishin' like? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Oh, and I've been into "Deep Lake" just to the west of Orloff - short quad trip.....lot's of pike but it would be nice to get a few Walleyes!
Old 04-22-2008, 05:14 PM

you will need a quad to get in to orloff, I fished there July long weekend a few years ago.you should be able to get a truck in from highway from rock island to the parking lot by the fire tower. From the parking lot to the lake it took an hour with the quad pulling a tin boat with a bush trailer. Fishing was fantastic once we found the walleyes. straight out from the launch trolling with walleye divers. or the point straight across the lake from the boat launch jigging the drop offs. Deep lake never fished there but found it by mistake in the fall a 5 years ago. Talked to the outfitter that is set up there he said the fishing was slow at the time. Never could find it again in the summer, to many swamps to cross. (coming from Fawcett lake heading north)

tried to get to Orloff this winter with the quad but there was to much snow in the trail in and the lake had a lot of surface water. ( buddy made it out there on his snowmachine)

Good luck
Old 04-22-2008, 06:42 PM

Hey thanks for the info Chuck. Is the way you described the most common way to take into the lake? Reason I ask is because on google earth it shows a "road" coming off the highway just to the SE of the lake and a cutline or path that takes a 90 degree turn north right to the lake. Ever seen this one?
Was it busy when you were there? Thanks again.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:53 PM

I quaded in from Fawcett Lake never came in from the highway by rock island. the cutline that is 90 degrees north is the one i took i believe its right of the area you can park trucks not to far from a fire tower. its was very muddy when i went and the last mile to the lake was the longest to travel, but well worth it. there where 2 groups out there one camped on the island and one camped on shore by the boat launch.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:59 PM

Sounds great. I think that's the route we'll take. We will be pulling our aluminum boats on trailers behind the quads. Thanks again for the info.

When we were at deep lake a couple years ago we pulled out pike after pike, nothing too big though.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:04 PM

I just googled it the tack is where i launched
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Orloff.jpg (104.1 KB, 183 views)
Old 04-22-2008, 07:20 PM

Yep that's exactly where I was thinking of. Now if only the lake will be thawed by the end of May.........

Cheers.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:33 PM

best of luck to ya