Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-02-2020, 06:51 PM

Default Mystery Ranch Pop-up 28

Anybody use the MR pop-up 28? Looking at picking one up and want to hear some feedback first. Woll be used primarily as a day pack for hunting and search and rescue. Meat hauler will be used in situations where I can't get at the critter with a calf sled.

In my case I want a good day pack with the ability to haul meat when necessary. Good buy or stay away?
Old 04-02-2020, 07:25 PM

mystery ranch stuff is top notch. I run the Pintler and my hunting partner runs the pop up 28. Last season we packed out 2 elk and a muley and they performed flawlessly. All the zippers and pockets are heavy duty, the pack should last a long time. He loves his pop up as a day pack, enough room for all the essentials. I opted for the Pintler because of the extra space and option to do overnighters / carry more gear. Either way you wont be disappointed, and your back will thank you.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrawfish View Post
mystery ranch stuff is top notch. I run the Pintler and my hunting partner runs the pop up 28. Last season we packed out 2 elk and a muley and they performed flawlessly. All the zippers and pockets are heavy duty, the pack should last a long time. He loves his pop up as a day pack, enough room for all the essentials. I opted for the Pintler because of the extra space and option to do overnighters / carry more gear. Either way you wont be disappointed, and your back will thank you.
I was also looking at the pintler but I think it's more than I need, especially for the price. I have a 34L pack right now and find I have quite a bit of extra space as it is. I'm always back at the truck by the end of the day.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:39 PM

I have this pack, and i love it. Its a great day pack with load hauling capability. The frame isn't as great as the Guide-light frame the Selway and Pintler have, but its not meant to be a dedicated pack frame. That being said, it does haul a good amount of weight very well.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchip View Post
I was also looking at the pintler but I think it's more than I need, especially for the price. I have a 34L pack right now and find I have quite a bit of extra space as it is. I'm always back at the truck by the end of the day.
I got mine thru pro deal on expert voice (if your SAR you prob can too). But I just happened to be looking at Camofire right now and they have the Pintler for 42 % off. Only have a medium in stock looks like.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:37 PM

MR packs are very well built. I have these, Metcalf and Sawtooth 80, carried heavy loads and packed quarters with both.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:15 PM

I have an MR Metcalf and I love it. The MR packs are known for hauling weight comfortably.

The autolock buckles on the MR packs are one of my favorite features as they do not loosen when tightened.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:27 PM

Check out the rokslide forum. Lots of good honest feedback on all the major packs. My take away was some guys find the belt a bit lacking while packing weight. This is not first hand, but have been pouring over the reviews myself as I was very interested in this pack awhile ago. Sadly I couldn't fit it in my budget...it seems like the perfect set up for a day pack/ meat hauler.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:59 PM

I'm torn right now if I should get the pop up 28 as it will suit 80% of my hunting or step up to the pintler and be good for all my future hunting plans as well. Obviously it's nice to save money but I can afford either. I just worry the pintler will be too much pack
Old 04-03-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchip View Post
I'm torn right now if I should get the pop up 28 as it will suit 80% of my hunting or step up to the pintler and be good for all my future hunting plans as well. Obviously it's nice to save money but I can afford either. I just worry the pintler will be too much pack
If your concerned about the Pintler being too large, it cinches down nice and small as a day pack. I had the exact same concern as 90 % of my hunts are single day elk hunts. I opted to go larger so I would have the option if I wanted to do an overnighter, and never once have I regretted it.