Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-07-2019, 06:14 PM

Default Nice Changes for Migratory Hunters!

Kudos to Delta Waterfowl for making this news.
https://deltawaterfowl.org/delta-wat...g-regulations/
I love it when we can apply common sense to the game laws. Will definitely make things easier and hopefully the free youth migratory stamp will increase youth participation. Last year the online stamp ,now this,it’s great. They just need to let us use unplugged shotguns in the Spring for snows next!
Old 06-07-2019, 06:39 PM

Great changes for sure. Go Delta & CWS!
Old 06-09-2019, 08:37 AM

From what I read, these are just proposed, not enacted yet. Am I wrong?
Old 06-10-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdbeast View Post
From what I read, these are just proposed, not enacted yet. Am I wrong?
Yes, proposed for next year as far as I can see. Now we just need a spring Canada Goose season........
Old 06-10-2019, 11:43 AM

Definitely a step in the right direction. be interesting to see the interpretation of "once a bird is preserved ".

Does "preservation" need to take place at owners residence> As it reads now "the bird is prepared for immediate cooking or arrives at the owner's residence for preservation"
Old 06-10-2019, 01:08 PM

Default Hen houses

One change or proposal I personally would like to see is waterfowl outfitters buy or build hen houses and have them set out in the wmus that they run in. A great way to give back.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
Definitely a step in the right direction. be interesting to see the interpretation of "once a bird is preserved ".

Does "preservation" need to take place at owners residence> As it reads now "the bird is prepared for immediate cooking or arrives at the owner's residence for preservation"
My understanding under old regs this was only for removal of evidence of species. You still had to eat or gift the bird to legally remove it from possession.

Under the new regs proposal, a preserved bird will be removed from possession instead of having to eat or gift the bird.

This proposal has been in the works for years and hopefully clears up a lot of past confusion about possession limits
Old 06-11-2019, 10:54 AM

Even if they went to leaving about 4" of wing on snows, or the colour patch on a duck wing, it would help with the space issues when out hunting them. That is enough to ID them.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:55 PM

Default Full document out for review and feedback

Interesting read ---

http://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/20..._KiUqYkFEKsemY

More detail on the concept of possession

New concept of possession — concept of preservation introduced
The new proposed concept of possession is that once birds are preserved according to the criteria set out in the amended MBRs, they no longer count in an individual’s possession limit. This would encourage hunters to preserve birds for future use, thus avoiding waste. A bird would be considered preserved when it is

plucked and eviscerated (or the edible portions removed from the carcass), and then;
frozen, cooked, dried, canned or smoked, or when mounted for taxidermy.
Birds preserved during the day they were harvested would continue to count toward the daily bag limit of the hunter who harvested them. Partial processing of harvested birds may occur in the hunting areas. Birds may be eviscerated and plucked in any location, but the meat, along with the fully feathered head or wing, must be retained on the carcasses until they are later completely preserved. The subsequent processes for preserving (freezing, making sausages, cooking, drying, canning or smoking) must occur in a residence or a non-mobile facility, and must not be performed in the hunting area. Harvested birds would continue to count in the possession limit until they are completely preserved. An unpreserved bird would no longer count toward the owner’s possession limit when the bird is gifted to someone and the gift is accepted by the new owner.

Section with revisions on Training of Retrievers -- opens up an individual to register and have up to 200 birds. Not sure what to think on this one as I can see it getting abused yet I want to train more with birds.

Training retriever dogs
The current MBRs allow corporations that train dogs as hunting retrievers to possess, for the purposes of this training, up to 200 carcasses of migratory game birds taken under a valid MGHB permit. The amended Regulations propose that this exemption to the possession limit be extended to individuals, for the purpose of training retrievers. Those training dog clubs or individuals may possess up to 200 birds by registering with the Department and they must keep records as specified in the proposed Regulations. It is proposed that migratory game birds used for retriever training could also include those taken under the authority of an appropriate permit issued for birds causing damage or danger for species hunted in Canada. Finally, the proposed amendments would prohibit that any of these carcasses be of a species of migratory game bird that is listed in Schedule 1 to SARA.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:42 AM

Default Link for feedback on the proposed changes

The proposed changes are open for feedback. The link for information on feedback and email for those that are interested is:

https://www.canada.ca/en/environment...sultation.html

email

ec.ReglementsFaune-WildlifeRegulations.ec@canada.ca
Old 04-04-2020, 10:36 AM

Anyone hear any updates on this since proposed?