Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-11-2019, 07:51 AM

Default profile a barrel blank

Hi everyone I have a barrel blank that I would like to have profiled into a varmint contour the CM blank is 29.5 long and 1.25 dia can you recommend anyone.??
Old 03-11-2019, 08:50 AM

if you are searching for a smith to install the barrel, Insite Arms in Lloydminster does topnotch work. otherwise, if all you want is to profile a barrel, that is something that a good reputable local machine shop could do if you provide exact dimensions.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:47 AM
Banned

although not entirely necessary, find a shop with a cnc lathe to produce a uniform to spec finish. Blue Chip....something offers the service and I believe might even do the contouring for one of the barrel makers...
Old 03-14-2019, 02:40 PM

Default Contour size

I have 2 contour 6 barrels at 30" one on a 300 and the other on a 7mm. Both print sub .75 inch groups. but I think for my next build it will be a contour 5.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:34 PM

I’ve had KS Arms turn down a few. I would call to see if they are interested in doing the small job. When done right, the profile needs to be cut uniform to the bore.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
I’ve had KS Arms turn down a few. I would call to see if they are interested in doing the small job. When done right, the profile needs to be cut uniform to the bore.
This is impossible as the bore is never straight and only in dreams is it straight based on typical assumptions. The premium smiths will do their chambering and muzzle threading/crowning based on alignment of the bore and deal with the position of the barrel after by indexing at the breech. Low cost muzzle threading operations simply center based centering with a live center off the tail stock (not representative of what the bore is doing).

The better the barrel maker the straighter the bore. Exterior turning is typically done based on an artificial center created when the barrel is supported at two points or the ends.

The better the barrel the sloppier the smith can be as they don't take into account the bore of the barrel when performing their machining operations.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1 View Post
although not entirely necessary, find a shop with a cnc lathe to produce a uniform to spec finish. Blue Chip....something offers the service and I believe might even do the contouring for one of the barrel makers...
blue chip can do it perfectly and not like another who does it in 3 passes and finishes with a grinder I kid you not

blue chip has a cnc lathe and it is done right

Cement Bench
Old 03-15-2019, 12:59 PM

The barrels I had turned down were all cut rifled (a process that induces little stress) so I wasn’t concerned about the potential for the profile cutting to induce new stress. I don’t know if it would, but personally would be doing a bit of research before I had anybody mess with a hammer forged or even button rifled barrel. Ideas?
Old 03-15-2019, 06:44 PM

They have to get profiled somehow the profile fairy doesn’t do it . The big outfits have a lathe that has a follower rest that reads the cutting depth and automatically adjusts to stay against the barrel opposite the cutter as it is turned . This helps stop deflection away from the cutting tool and reduces chatter.