Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-06-2012, 04:46 PM
Banned

Default Should politicians bring their children to work?

I have no problem with people taking maternity leave. I have no problem with people breast feeding their children. But why would you take your infant to work with you? Isn't this just selfish? This woman should take her maternity leave or find alternate daycare arrangements.

Oh baby: Alberta politician brings infant to work, fellow councillor complains

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/oh-baby-alb...202004182.html

DRAYTON VALLEY, Alta. - A rural county councillor in Alberta says she will continue bringing her new baby to work despite complaints from a fellow female politician.

Kara Westerlund took a week off her duties as a councillor for Brazeau County after her daughter Taylor was born Jan. 8.

She then started taking the baby to day-long council meetings because she is breastfeeding.

The 28-year-old said she had no idea it was an issue until she read an opinion column by Coun. Pat Monteith in the Feb. 22 issue of the Breton Booster newspaper.

"It appears that our new council chambers and meeting room has been turned into a nursery," wrote Monteith. "I am finding it disruptive and distracting.

"More importantly, how do you feel about your tax dollars going to pay someone to care for her own child?"

Westerlund said she was stunned.

"(The baby) has never cried in council. You know that little grunting noise they make when they have gas — that's about it," she said Tuesday while on a break from another council meeting in Drayton Valley.

She said she hopes her resolve will encourage other working mothers.

"There's no reason why we have to sit at home. Just because we've had a baby doesn't mean there's something wrong with us, that we can't be productive out in the community."

Westerlund was first elected 1 1/2 years ago. A former radio host and news reporter, she had spent years covering council meetings and wanted to participate.

"It was something I really wanted to do and I felt the representation of young women was missing."

Westerlund said she discreetly breastfeeds her daughter, under a cape, once or twice during council meetings. The rest of the time the baby sleeps on a blanket on the floor or in her car seat.

She said she won't be bringing the baby to work forever. In a few more months, she'll try to get the baby on a bottle and will leave her at home with a grandmother during council meetings.

Monteith did not return requests for an interview and did not attend Tuesday's council meeting because of bad weather.

Longtime Coun. Wes Tweedle said Monteith, a mother of adult children, is the only councillor who has an issue with the baby.

Before the child was even born, Monteith raised concerns, he said. Monteith had heard suggestions that Westerlund wanted to bring her child to work.

Tweedle said he took an informal poll of the other five councillors and no one had a problem.

"(Monteith) felt it might be disruptive, but we don't feel that's been the case. That's one person's opinion."

He said no other councillor has brought a baby to meetings before, but it's no big deal. He also doesn't mind the breastfeeding.

"I've been around livestock all my life. I know what motherhood and nursing and that stuff is all about. It doesn't bother me."

The topic of politicians bringing their babies to work was raised last month in Ottawa.

New Democrat MP Sana Hassainia took her infant son into the House of Commons before a vote and mistakenly thought she was being told that wasn't allowed.

Speaker Andrew Scheer clarified that he was concerned about MPs taking pictures of the child because cameras aren't allowed in the chamber.

He later ruled that MPs are allowed to bring their infants, as long as they're not disruptive.

— By Chris Purdy in Edmonton
Old 03-06-2012, 05:06 PM

who cares
Old 03-06-2012, 05:09 PM

....priceless quote of the day....goes to.....

"He also doesn't mind the breastfeeding."

"I've been around livestock all my life. I know what motherhood and nursing and that stuff is all about. It doesn't bother me."

LOL.....am I the only one who finds this funny??

LC
Old 03-06-2012, 05:23 PM

Not the only one at all... I thought it was hilarious.

As for this case, I have no problem with it.
These are essentially volunteer positions, right? With once a month meetings that usually last all day long?

This is not even close to an every day event.

Would be different if it were a MP or MLA.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Banned

Should politicians bring their children to work?

Isn't that like asking "Should bank robbers bring their kids on a heist?"
Old 03-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Should politicians bring their children to work?

Isn't that like asking "Should bank robbers bring their kids on a heist?"
beat me to it...of the same vane...you wouldn't condone a hooker bringing her kid to work would you??
Old 03-06-2012, 05:41 PM

it's a part-time job. Doubt there is maternity leave, and who would take over? Someone's a little to persnickity. Would be different if the kid is often wailing away, etc.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:26 PM

This one female councillor is the only one who has a problem with this.

I think there is more to this.

Actually, Im sure there is more to this.

In this scenario I fail to see an issue. Other jobs, yes. But this one, hardly.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Banned

Yes this one person may be a local councilor, but there is a reference to an MP in our Parliament.

And then there is this little bit about men not being permitted to bottle feed their children. Maybe I am just being a bit angry that women get more rights than men here.

Piri Weepu's baby bottle advert ban

By Kathryn Powley
5:30 AM Sunday Feb 5, 2012

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10783518

Piri Weepu fed baby Taylor a bottle in an anti-smoking advert. Photo / Supplied
Expand
Piri Weepu fed baby Taylor a bottle in an anti-smoking advert. Photo / Supplied

Images of All Black hero Piri Weepu bottle-feeding his baby have been cut after protests by breastfeeding crusaders.

La Leche League, a pro-breastfeeding organisation, has taken offence from a few seconds of film showing the All Black tenderly feeding a bottle of milk to daughter Taylor. The brief scene has been cut from an anti-smoking ad, due to complaints from the league.

One email said: "The damage that this shot of a celebrity All Black will do to breastfeeding in New Zealand Aotearoa will be significant."

Weepu became a national hero during the All Blacks' World Cup-winning campaign.

The Health Sponsorship Council's TV ad is part of its "Smoking, Not Our Future" drive and features Weepu at home with his two daughters: 6-month-old Taylor and toddler Keira. In it Weepu speaks about the positives of having a smoke-free home and car.

Health Sponsorship Council chief executive Iain Potter said the camera followed Weepu around for a day, including for an hour at his home while he played with his daughters.

"He happened to feed the 6-month-old briefly while they were there," Potter said. "It was a nice little poignant moment but we understand the sensitivities around it."

Potter consulted La Leche and Plunket about the clip.

"While we know breast is best, we weren't quite sure what people would think about it. So we canvassed expert opinion."

People associated with the La Leche League initiated an email campaign against the ad, resulting in a "significant amount of feedback" to the council.

"It was important for us that people understood the key message of the ad was about smoke-free air for our kids. We didn't want that to get lost in a controversy around bottle-feeding."

La Leche League director Alison Stanton said the trouble wasn't with Weepu bottle feeding but with the overall message.

"It's really important that those messages are consistent across the board. It's been resolved and was really a storm in a tea cup."

Asked what was wrong with Weepu cuddling and feeding a baby, she said: "You've got the healthy eating message, exercise, breastfeeding, smoke-free environment, wearing safety belts and this is about making sure that we give consistent health messages."

Weepu said he was trying to encourage non-smoking.

"I started doing the campaigns last year and wanted to be involved again because I think it's doing something good for the community. I wanted to set a good example and make a better future for my children."

Karen Guilliland, chief executive officer of the College of Midwives, said her organisation opposed the ad too. "We just figured that Piri Weepu was so loved that whatever he did would carry a huge weight."
By Kathryn Powley | Email Kathryn
Old 03-06-2012, 07:08 PM

Default Can`t resist....

Your thoughts; Arachnodisiac (no man- bashing please)
Old 03-06-2012, 07:09 PM
Banned

I think if the children and politicans switched places we would have a better government.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast View Post
i think if the children and politicans switched places we would have a better government.
x10000
Old 03-06-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guywiththemule View Post
Your thoughts; Arachnodisiac (no man- bashing please)
Thoughts on this post? I think I shared them.
For an instance like this, which is once or twice a month, I see no issue with it if it's not disruptive.

As for man-bashing... well, I'm really quite fond of men and see no reason to bash them.

But, I will bash stupid any day of the week, no matter what they're packing under their panties.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:43 PM
Gone Hunting

When I first read this thread I was all, like, outraged, you know. Then I realized I broke my givea****ter this morning, so I'm good with it.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-07-2012, 01:43 AM

the kids should bring their politicians to school,haha
Old 03-07-2012, 01:57 AM

At the end of the day the only question that needs to be answered is a simple one.

Is she doing her job, and making sure that those around her can do their jobs without being distracted by a baby in the room.

If the answer is yes, then I don't see a problem.

If the answer is no, then there is an issuer that needs to be dealt with.

I guess that was 2 questions. My bad.

I had an employee that felt the need to have her dog at the shop with her everyday. It was a big mutt, about 100 pounds.

Naturally, being the nice guy, and a dog lover, I allowed it on a trial basis.

After day three, I realized that my guys couldn't take calls in the shop due to the dog barking and making racket. The employee was playing with the dog more than she was working. Naturally, I put a stop to it.

However, If that dog had been well behaves and the employee could have separated work time and dog time, the dog would still be coming to work.

It all comes down to maturity and the ability to multitask.

I am sure there are some mothers out there that can have a child at work with them and still do a great job of working without the child becoming a major distraction.

On the other hand, there are some mothers out there that wouldn't be alive if breathing wasn't involuntary.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:32 AM

if you got a problem with it, bring your dog to work and claim its your kid.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:08 AM

I wish that ALL of our elected representitives had the same resolve to do their job as this young lady.

We here in Calgary got stuck with a $25m obamahanation (did I spell that right? ) of a footbridge due to a counciler missing a vote. Dale Hodges, I'm talking about you sir. Our MP is the douch-bag extrodinaire Rob Anders and I don't even know who our 'Conservative' MLA is.......

Tree