Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-22-2013, 10:47 AM

Default Sea Eagle Foldcat 375 - Bow river question

Hey Guys,

Just a quick question, Would you float the bow using this boat? I'm not experienced floating the bow but I'm thinking to get one (price matters). The other thing I dont have a truck and I dont want to get one, I dont want trailer because i live in an apartment, so this look like a good option for me.

here is video from you tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8M6hsrYHKA

here is assembly video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI0se...ture=endscreen

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 375FCK_P.jpg (29.9 KB, 36 views)
Old 04-22-2013, 11:48 AM

I was looking at those this week, basspro.com has a good buy on them with free shipping to Canada. I'd drift the Bow in that thing no problem.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:53 AM

why don't you buy a scadden or a outcast, and you can break it down into many peices and fit it in your car and also stores in a closet (hockey bag size)
Old 04-22-2013, 12:01 PM

I think the bow would be fine, but I wouldn't take one with the high seats down rapids like they showed in the vid. One rock strike and those folks get launched into the water/rocks.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drock0802 View Post
why don't you buy a scadden or a outcast, and you can break it down into many peices and fit it in your car and also stores in a closet (hockey bag size)
the cheapest is the fishcat 13 and it is $2.200 and it has a really well constructed metallic frame...too many parts for my mid size car.

The only one in my budget from dave scadden is the outlaw scalibur...is $1.900 plus shipping, gst and import duties...$2.200 aprox. The other one is the assault XX for two persons and it is $1.800 plis shippin, gst and import duties.

the sea eagle is $1.800, around $2.000 including shipping and all that...

Do you know guys who can teach me to drift a boat in the bow?
Old 04-22-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I think the bow would be fine, but I wouldn't take one with the high seats down rapids like they showed in the vid. One rock strike and those folks get launched into the water/rocks.
yep.....i wont use a high seat in front..too dangerous.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:50 PM

I bought a used Fish Cat ir-10 a couple years ago for the same reasons you are looking at the Sea Eagle. I have a car, I don't need or want a truck or trailer so I'll get something that will be easy to fit in the car and go. I was wrong. The frame of the Fish Cat won't fit in my car assembled so now I have to break down the frame and this takes forever. The Sea Eagle looks like it fits in a nice bag but once you add on all the one time build parts will it fit back in? Will you be able to get into your car kinda half assed built?
My next purchase will be a Water Master http://www.bigskyinflatables.com/
Old 04-22-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBT View Post
I bought a used Fish Cat ir-10 a couple years ago for the same reasons you are looking at the Sea Eagle. I have a car, I don't need or want a truck or trailer so I'll get something that will be easy to fit in the car and go. I was wrong. The frame of the Fish Cat won't fit in my car assembled so now I have to break down the frame and this takes forever. The Sea Eagle looks like it fits in a nice bag but once you add on all the one time build parts will it fit back in? Will you be able to get into your car kinda half assed built?
My next purchase will be a Water Master http://www.bigskyinflatables.com/
That's why i dont want fish cat, because they have tons of screws and the frame is even huge if you take it apart. The sea eagle even if i cannot get as the original size is, it will fit in my trunk..................................I think...........

the other thing, I was thinking to get a one person pontoon, but....why not a two person and I can invite anyone with me and not be myself outhere or with my fishing buddy 100 meters away.....screaming all the time

The only one for two people from water master is the rock creek and it's $3.500 bucks...too much for me....

is there any other recomendation for two people boats?
Old 04-22-2013, 01:42 PM

I have used one of the predecessors that my bro purchased a Costco quite a number of years ago. I needed to beef up the oars, oar locks (bent and blew them both out on it's maiden voyage) and we tied some wrapped wooden bench seats on it and it worked extremely well. This looks WAY better, but I would look closely at the oars, if they are the same cheaper aluminium oars, I would swap thoughs out for sure! We changed ours locks to nickle plated eye bolts with nylon coated nuts and purchased some stronger oars from Canadian Tire, doesn't seem to be an issue with this model. Also, this one seems to be a bit narrow to stand up in!!

Might be a better quality (used) option available, if you are patient and look around...

*edit* just looked at the cost!! Holy C R A P!! You can buy a REALLY REALLY nice canoe for that! A REALLY nice canoe!!

Last edited by ÜberFly; 04-22-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
I have used one of the predecessors that my bro purchased a Costco quite a number of years ago. I needed to beef up the oars, oar locks (bent and blew them both out on it's maiden voyage) and we tied some wrapped wooden bench seats on it and it worked extremely well. This looks WAY better, but I would look closely at the oars, if they are the same cheaper aluminium oars, I would swap thoughs out for sure! We changed ours locks to nickle plated eye bolts with nylon coated nuts and purchased some stronger oars from Canadian Tire, doesn't seem to be an issue with this model. Also, this one seems to be a bit narrow to stand up in!!

Might be a better quality (used) option available, if you are patient and look around...

*edit* just looked at the cost!! Holy C R A P!! You can buy a REALLY REALLY nice canoe for that! A REALLY nice canoe!!
my problem is space.....I have a small car and I live in an apartment. I cannot buy a truck and I dont have garage for a trailer or something like that... I have a small room in my apartment where i could store the boat in the winter time...
Old 04-22-2013, 02:25 PM

I purchased a very nice pre owned high quality pontoon last year for ~$400 and when broken down is quite portable and storable (maybe a bit of a PITA to break down and set up all the time, but there are worse situations, I would think). So you can buy several pontoons (for you and all of your buddies), for $1700 - or just a really nice one for yourself that is extremely safe and well proven on the Bow.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osedma View Post
my problem is space.....I have a small car and I live in an apartment. I cannot buy a truck and I dont have garage for a trailer or something like that... I have a small room in my apartment where i could store the boat in the winter time...
i own a scadden outlaw x5, i have a 4 door bmw and i tested to see if it would fit in it broken down in case the wife took the suv one day and it did, put parts in the trunk and back seat with lots of room to spare. its a pretty quick set up and break down, about 20 mins. i keep mine broken down in a one car garage with the frame hanging on the wall and the bladder up on a shelf and i can still fit the suv in the garage
Old 04-22-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:

Do you know guys who can teach me to drift a boat in the bow?
not to many options out there, you can hire a guide and ask them to teach you to row, or you can purchase a video from Hyde.

the Bow isn't much of a big deal to drift, the true knowledge is in the actual rowing itself. Most the rowing techniques required are shown in the hyde video.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:32 PM

Do you want to fish out of the boat while you float or are you looking for the boat to get you to different spots?

I have basically retired my pontoon boat in favour of a inflatable kayak. I don't like floating and fishing at the same time as I would rather stop the boat and fish a specific spot.

I picked up one of these last summer and really enjoy it. I work downtown and park at the Calgary Zoo. I have brought this on the train and have floated/ fished my way back to the vehicle after work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtXc6oOqJSE
Old 04-22-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritofr View Post
Do you want to fish out of the boat while you float or are you looking for the boat to get you to different spots?

I have basically retired my pontoon boat in favour of a inflatable kayak. I don't like floating and fishing at the same time as I would rather stop the boat and fish a specific spot.

I picked up one of these last summer and really enjoy it. I work downtown and park at the Calgary Zoo. I have brought this on the train and have floated/ fished my way back to the vehicle after work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtXc6oOqJSE
Men....now you make me think...I would say fish and drift and also stop...however that option of the kayak is a really good idea too...

do you float to mckinnon or something like that, do you use shuttle? because that the order thing, that from point a to b i'll need to get either a shuttle or a car....

i'll do my maths and take a decision withing couple weeks
Old 04-22-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Men....now you make me think...I would say fish and drift and also stop...however that option of the kayak is a really good idea too...

do you float to mckinnon or something like that, do you use shuttle? because that the order thing, that from point a to b i'll need to get either a shuttle or a car....

i'll do my maths and take a decision withing couple weeks
I float the city from prince's island park down to the zoo. I did a couple of long stretches with it last year 22x to Mac and did a shuttle along with a couple of friends who were in their drift boats.

I have taken it on several smaller streams as well.

I am anxiously awaiting for pike season to open up. I have anchored the kayak and have stood up while fishing out of it.

Super versatile and packs up small. Only complaint is that I cheaped out on the paddle and it was too small for the width of the boat. Just bought a proper one from MEC and will try it out soon
Old 04-22-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritofr View Post
I float the city from prince's island park down to the zoo. I did a couple of long stretches with it last year 22x to Mac and did a shuttle along with a couple of friends who were in their drift boats.

I have taken it on several smaller streams as well.

I am anxiously awaiting for pike season to open up. I have anchored the kayak and have stood up while fishing out of it.

Super versatile and packs up small. Only complaint is that I cheaped out on the paddle and it was too small for the width of the boat. Just bought a proper one from MEC and will try it out soon
what do you think about this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 285FPBK_P.jpg (24.6 KB, 23 views)
Old 04-22-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
what do you think about this?
Looks good but I don't think it packs down enough where I can get the kayak into its back pack and carry it onto the Ctrain.

The kayak is about 40lbs with the k-pump and the paddle that I carry with it
Old 04-22-2013, 11:35 PM

Take a look at the nrs gigbob, I just bought one, they are on sale for 850 plus 180 shipped to Calgary in 3- 5 days by UPS. Pretty good deal considering they were over 1400.00 at one time. They are being discontinued not because they have had issues with them but due to the high cost of manufacture and low profit margins. They are frameless and pack into a backpack. Check it out
http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.a...0&pdeptid=2224
You can also type in gigbob on youtube for some videos.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:00 AM

what class of rapids has the bow river? I mean, let's say from fish creek to mckinnon.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:22 AM

There are no "true rapids"

There are a couple of spots with some rollers that would maybe be rated a class I. But all of these if you are paying attention are avoidable by going around them (remember it is a wide river)

People float down on air mattresses, so anything you choose designed for fishing should suffice. Choose the one that will meet your needs, size, breakdown etc.

One thing I would consider though is buying something with better plastic for your air bladders. My main concern when floating in my fishcat 9IR is that I will hit something sharp and blow a pontoon.

J