Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-10-2019, 09:52 AM

Default To cold for Lab

Im headed out duck hunting tomorrow in the slough with my one year old lab. Its my first dog, just worried that the mornings now at -10 might be a bit to cold for water retrieves. What do you guys think?
The dog is 65lbs and skinny as a rail. He shivers on warm days when he comes out of the water but im sure that's just excitement, hes never missed a days walk and is quite happy going for a -30 walk without water.

Going to wrap his kennel in a moving blanket leaving the front door for ventilation on the way out. im sure im worrying for nothing ( they are tough) just wanna make sure my buddy will be okay.

Thanks
Old 10-10-2019, 10:13 AM

Default dont know where you are

but around here the sloughs are all frozen over - 8 for 2 nights and-12 last night. I 've had a hard going 10 month old female break shell ice to bring me a goose but normally I avoid putting young dogs in colder water/ice.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:37 AM

Do you have a neoprene jacket?

I had ice build up on my lab the other night. Didn’t have her jacket. We both went for a couple walks when it got slow to warm up. She was fine. The slough was ice free though.

Last edited by MooseRiverTrapper; 10-10-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:51 AM

Most Labs will swim in water way too cold for a human with no ill effects and will break ice to get downed game. The advent of the neoprene dog jackets has been a great boon to cold weather work. They protect the dogs chest from ice and other damage, provide floatation and are a bunch warmer than without. Jacket or not, if the water is not frozen, I would not be concerned about the dog doing retrieves, if it is frozen then I would not work a young dog without a jacket and unless I could break up the ice prior to them going into the water. If you can't get out and break the ice, I would shoot over fields only. Far to fond of the dog to put them into frozen ponds. When we were young we didn't think about it much, as I got older the birds just weren't worth being hard on the dog, even though the dog wanted to go every time. Age old story, you need to be smarter than the dog.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:59 AM

Yep put a neoprene vest on the dog and it will be good to go. My old lab used to run and jump off the ice into the open water to retrieve ducks grab the duck and climb back onto the ice with duck in mouth. Only way I would have kept her out of the water is to keep her in the truck or leave her at home. Pretty sure that lab enjoyed duck hunting more then I did.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:24 AM

Doesn't take much chill to be too cold for most labs I have hunted with. If a cold weather dog is required use a Chesapeake!
Old 10-10-2019, 02:49 PM

Get a dog vest as suggested above and bring an extra heavy coat for the blind you don't mind getting wet.

I have always covered my dog in a warm coat or heavy army blanket after water retrieves even with the vest.

They work better. Think better and are happier. I think the jacket also covers movement as well so you end up shooting more ducks. I don't mean your dog walking around but the head turning you might get in a blind.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:55 PM

Thanks so much for all the replys. I have a vest that i will for sure put on him but will try and go out for the evening tomorrow when it warms up. I just hate seeing pothole duck hunts go away so early 2 years in a row haha. fingers crossed we have some decent overnight temps for the next couple weeks before we start deer hunting next month!!

Thanks again guys
Old 10-11-2019, 08:57 PM

A lab should not be skinny?
Sounds like it's diet is lacking!!!.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:37 PM

Default Just a thought

You ever notice that waxy coat in a lab? or any retriever. I was told many years ago that helps them to shed water. so in cold water a couple good shakes and they are not holding much moisture in the coat.
Dont know much about diving but think they have wet suits (water circulates inside neoprene) and dry suits which is sealed to keep water out of suit and away from the skin. Wondering if the neoprene dog vest would actually prevent the dogs from shedding the water through shaking it off? is cold water retained under the neoprene and they cant get rid of any of it (they are not skin or fur tight) so if used the neoprene vest actually gives them a fresh batch of cold water against the skin each time they retrieve. How much body heat does it take to warm that water so the neoprene is actually stopping the wet coat from drawing away body heat
Ready set Go!
Old 10-12-2019, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
You ever notice that waxy coat in a lab? or any retriever. I was told many years ago that helps them to shed water. so in cold water a couple good shakes and they are not holding much moisture in the coat.
Dont know much about diving but think they have wet suits (water circulates inside neoprene) and dry suits which is sealed to keep water out of suit and away from the skin. Wondering if the neoprene dog vest would actually prevent the dogs from shedding the water through shaking it off? is cold water retained under the neoprene and they cant get rid of any of it (they are not skin or fur tight) so if used the neoprene vest actually gives them a fresh batch of cold water against the skin each time they retrieve. How much body heat does it take to warm that water so the neoprene is actually stopping the wet coat from drawing away body heat
Ready set Go!
That is a hell of a good point that I never thought about. I know a wet suit is far warmer for a human in cold water because our body heat stays in. I know I can go in far colder water in a wet suit than I can comfortably do without one but I don't have a waxy fur coat that sheds water. At least while they are in the water it should be quite a bit warmer but your point about shedding the water after the retrieve is a good point. Have to give that some thought.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksnbears View Post
A lab should not be skinny?
Sounds like it's diet is lacking!!!.
haha i dont think so. he gets really good premium food and he gets 4 cups a day. hes really well exercised though 7k run every morning and a 5k walk every evening. american labs are lean
Old 10-14-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
Ready set Go!
That is really something to think about. makes a lot of sense.
We ended up going out in the evening and he seemed really good with the cold. i guess the best thing is just read the dog, if hes not doing well with the cold, wrap things up

Thanks again for all the replys
Old 10-14-2019, 10:28 AM

Google “sugarcoat”. Cats meow. Pups been swimming all mornin. Neoprene vest and coat works awesome
Old 10-14-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
Google “sugarcoat”. Cats meow. Pups been swimming all mornin. Neoprene vest and coat works awesome
That is a fantastic coat! I'm buying one.