Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-02-2019, 08:03 AM

Default Anyone hunt Capital Power Pheasant Release?

Hey guys. Just wondering how it went yesterday. Thinking of heading out, but wanted to hear some reports, cuz if it was spotty or a gong show, I'd rather go a different route today. Feel free to PM if you'd rather.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:32 AM

large site. sometimes limit out, sometimes a complete bust. definitely rougher terrain than your typical release site. in the wooded areas the foliage is chest high. on the plain its a little better.put a bell 0r beeper on your dog though. 10 meters away and they are not visible.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:32 PM

Had a great couple trips there last year.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:27 PM

Had some good hunts there. Seemed to be lots of birds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg birds.jpg (74.5 KB, 173 views)
Old 10-07-2019, 09:00 AM

Default pheasant

Last time out Thursday, my dogs only lifted one pheasant, only 15 vehicles at south parking lot.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:06 AM

I've been here twice this year, both on Saturday morning, and both times got my limit. Personally I've had a better hunting experience here than Daysland. Ya it's packed with hunters, but I've found that people keep a respectful distance. I'm a big fan of the Capital Power site.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1239.jpg (110.0 KB, 105 views)
Old 10-08-2019, 02:37 PM

Default lots of birds

Went out on Friday the 4th. flushed up 5 birds and heard tons of action, lots of vehicles but only saw 3 ppl all day
Old 10-13-2019, 08:25 AM

Hunted the capital power site for the first time yesterday. Was pleasantly surprised on the amount of birds we saw. They also flushed well and werent real jumpy like I figured they would be. With all the good things being said it's time to talk about the bad. Saw LOTS of piles of feathers of wounded birds. Nearly every hull I saw on the ground was a trap load. Please if your hunting roosters do yourself your dog and the bird a favour and use a better hotter load. These things are tough and often on a less than ideal shot they hit the ground running. Do us all a favour and spend more than 5 bucks a box on ammo. Sorry for the rant.

PS. I also brought someones wounded birds home because my dog brought it to me still alive.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallon30 View Post
Hunted the capital power site for the first time yesterday. Was pleasantly surprised on the amount of birds we saw. They also flushed well and werent real jumpy like I figured they would be. With all the good things being said it's time to talk about the bad. Saw LOTS of piles of feathers of wounded birds. Nearly every hull I saw on the ground was a trap load. Please if your hunting roosters do yourself your dog and the bird a favour and use a better hotter load. These things are tough and often on a less than ideal shot they hit the ground running. Do us all a favour and spend more than 5 bucks a box on ammo. Sorry for the rant.

PS. I also brought someones wounded birds home because my dog brought it to me still alive.
It is a shame that some people are such pigs, that they don't pick up their hulls. As for those piles of feathers, they are not all from birds wounded by hunters, some are from birds that were actually recovered, and some are the result of coyotes or birds of prey. That being said, my dog finds wounded or dead birds on a regular basis, because without a good dog, cripples can be very difficult to find if they run off, or hide. As to the loads, if you have a good dog, and shoot at closer ranges, it doesn't take a high velocity load to kill released pheasants. I use nickel plated hunting loads myself, but I never use a 12 gauge, and I often hunt with a 28 gauge. I could easily use lighter 12 or 20 gauge #6 or even #7-1/2 loads, and not lose birds. However some people can't resist shooting at 60 yards or more, when birds flush wild, and many people are simply poor shots, which is why we often hear 3,4 or 5 shot volleys at the release sites.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:23 AM

I have a question on Capital Power. My son has been told that access to the site must be given directly from "Capital Power". I haven't looked it up in the ACA guide. We are in Calgary but he was thinking about heading up that way. He is in Edmonton every week for business. Just checking for him. Thanks gang.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:27 AM

You must register your vehicle and all hunters with Capital Power. lastly document must be on dash of your vehicle. The Security guys from Capital power will be around to check you out and ticket you if necessary along with F & W. Just go on to their web site before you go hunting.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallon30 View Post

I was hunting last week and one of the guns I was using was a 16 gauge underlever with 68 grains of black powder and 7/8 oz of Shot running about 1,050 FPS.
It kills birds well if you are on the head/ neck area
It’s not so much about the load or the gauge as one’s shooting ability and shooting within range .
I’ve Seen birds killed with 3” 410’s and missed with 12 gauge 3” heavy loads
Cat
Old 10-14-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
You must register your vehicle and all hunters with Capital Power. lastly document must be on dash of your vehicle. The Security guys from Capital power will be around to check you out and ticket you if necessary along with F & W. Just go on to their web site before you go hunting.
Thanks for the info BGW, I looked up the web site and passed the info on for my son. Much appreciated.