Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2024, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
UFC is a promotion. MMA is the sport but ok lol….

I just hope Strickland has left something in the tank after all this social justice blah blah and he starches that South African…
There you are. Was kinda wondering, haven't seen you on the oilers thread for a few games now. Odd for such an oil fan
Old 01-22-2024, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
That is why anyone who has completed in any combat sport knows you risk a loss anytime you leave it in the hands of the judges. With how often things end in a split decision it’s clear that even multiple judges will score the same fight differently and of course personal bias can be involved. It is what it is not just in MMA but all combat sports at all levels
I am a Boxing and MMA judge. Most fans have no clue on how to score a round in a fight.

I didn't see this particular fight so I cannot comment on how it was judged, good or bad.

It does happen that MMA judging is more inconsistent than Boxing. MMA has 5-6 different Judging programs from different groups and they don't use the same criteria for training their judges so there is bound to be some different scoring.

Boxing on the other hand has one body that trains all judges. The ABC (Association of Boxing Commissions). This is North America standard.
Not to say there aren't some bad calls in some boxing events but criteria is the same across the board for all judges to learn their craft.

There are also three judges sitting in three different positions. This is to catch all angles of the fight. What one judge sees the other judge may not. You cannot score what you do not see.

I could go on and on. I love combat sports.

But you said it right, "If you don't want a chance to lose by decision, finish it before it goes to the cards."
Old 01-22-2024, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerhunter View Post
I am a Boxing and MMA judge. Most fans have no clue on how to score a round in a fight.

I didn't see this particular fight so I cannot comment on how it was judged, good or bad.

It does happen that MMA judging is more inconsistent than Boxing. MMA has 5-6 different Judging programs from different groups and they don't use the same criteria for training their judges so there is bound to be some different scoring.

Boxing on the other hand has one body that trains all judges. The ABC (Association of Boxing Commissions). This is North America standard.
Not to say there aren't some bad calls in some boxing events but criteria is the same across the board for all judges to learn their craft.

There are also three judges sitting in three different positions. This is to catch all angles of the fight. What one judge sees the other judge may not. You cannot score what you do not see.

But you said it right, "If you don't want a chance to lose by decision, finish it before it goes to the cards."
You are bang on that most can’t score a fight or even appreciate a lot of what is actually taking place when it comes to set up. I did complete in Muay Thai/kickboxing (trained judo/taekwondo too)when I was younger and my son is becoming more serious about competing in Muay Thai/kickboxing. We have a better understanding than most fans from it

We both can see why the Strickland fight was scored the way it was

But even I have seen questionable cards and I bet you have too

I have too many injuries to train/compete now so I just help my boy out with a few tricks and watch now. My boy has talent and is starting to get some attention
Old 01-22-2024, 04:47 PM

Quote:

I have never seen judging as crooked as at the Seoul Olympics. If a Korean boxer was still standing at the end of the fight, he won.
Old 01-22-2024, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post
To me, it is the Strickland haters that actually have a few loose screws....
I don't hate the guy, but he's a ticking time bomb. If he doesn't end up in jail in 10 years or less I'd be shocked.
Old 01-22-2024, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I actually like the guys brutal honesty and respect he is himself but yes he has a screw loose even Strickland acknowledges it lol
Wish blackface would acknowledge he’s got a couple screws loose too.
Old 01-23-2024, 08:52 AM

Default Amateur Boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I have never seen judging as crooked as at the Seoul Olympics. If a Korean boxer was still standing at the end of the fight, he won.

Amateur Boxing judging is completely different than professional boxing. I have no experience with amateur but know they do not use the same criteria from scoring as in professional.
Old 01-23-2024, 08:56 AM

Quote:
You are bang on that most can’t score a fight or even appreciate a lot of what is actually taking place when it comes to set up. I did complete in Muay Thai/kickboxing (trained judo/taekwondo too)when I was younger and my son is becoming more serious about competing in Muay Thai/kickboxing. We have a better understanding than most fans from it

We both can see why the Strickland fight was scored the way it was

But even I have seen questionable cards and I bet you have too

I have too many injuries to train/compete now so I just help my boy out with a few tricks and watch now. My boy has talent and is starting to get some attention
There is a pro card coming up Feb 3 at Enoch Rec Center. They are featuring some Muay Thai/Kickboxing fights. I thing 3-4 but the card hasn't been completely confirmed. You may want to check it out. Not sure if it is an 18+ event. If more info comes available I will PM.
Old 01-23-2024, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Amateur Boxing judging is completely different than professional boxing. I have no experience with amateur but know they do not use the same criteria from scoring as in professional.
The fact is, regardless of the criteria, the judges were corrupt. In the Roy Jones Jr fight, experts saw over 80 scoring blows for Jones vs 20 something for the Korean.
Old 01-23-2024, 09:47 AM

Quote:
There is a pro card coming up Feb 3 at Enoch Rec Center. They are featuring some Muay Thai/Kickboxing fights. I thing 3-4 but the card hasn't been completely confirmed. You may want to check it out. Not sure if it is an 18+ event. If more info comes available I will PM.
My boy is 20 so 18+ is not an issue. He actually just got an invite to fight in the Canadian open in Ontario in August. He is not a little kid anymore lol

PM me the information but good chance we will hear about it from his coach too
Old 01-23-2024, 03:18 PM

Quote:
My boy is actually fighting Feb 3rd too. But a different place. He just turned 5 a few weeks ago

This is his 3rd tournament. Maybe one day he'll be in the big leagues.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2024, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
My boy is actually fighting Feb 3rd too. But a different place. He just turned 5 a few weeks ago

This is his 3rd tournament. Maybe one day he'll be in the big leagues.

C'mon, you can't leave us hanging.......

What sport?
Old 01-23-2024, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
C'mon, you can't leave us hanging.......

What sport?
Muay Thai. We signed him up as soon as he turned 4. So he's been doing it for 1 year and 1 month. His favorite combo is 1-2-3-2-3-B. Jab, cross, hook, cross, hook, rear leg kick.

Old 01-23-2024, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Trudeaus son was at the event in a private box. Got to hear the whole place chanting his father’s name…. lol
Poor kid.
Language warning

Just a taste of what is instore for him in 20 years

https://youtu.be/1j6tw4ScmMI
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-24-2024, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Muay Thai. We signed him up as soon as he turned 4. So he's been doing it for 1 year and 1 month. His favorite combo is 1-2-3-2-3-B. Jab, cross, hook, cross, hook, rear leg kick.

Keep him busy and active it will make your life easier as his Dad lol.

He is still young and you want to just keep things fun right now. If he gets serious as when he is older encourage him to fight with his brain vs try to bang with people it’s easier on the body. Muay femur style fighters do well and get banged up less

Unfortunately my temper and hard head caused me to deviate from Muay femur to Muay khao if I got stung or frustrated in the ring .
Old 01-24-2024, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Keep him busy and active it will make your life easier as his Dad lol.

He is still young and you want to just keep things fun right now. If he gets serious as when he is older encourage him to fight with his brain vs try to bang with people it’s easier on the body. Muay femur style fighters do well and get banged up less

Unfortunately my temper and hard head caused me to deviate from Muay femur to Muay khao if I got stung or frustrated in the ring .
We're trying to keep it fun and not serious. I agree with you 100% on form and technique. If he can master that then he's set. That's what we practice.

Its fun to watch them fight. You have to keep them focused tho because you never know when they're going to just stop and start talking to each other. Kids will be kids.

Old 01-24-2024, 06:04 PM

Quote:
We're trying to keep it fun and not serious. I agree with you 100% on form and technique. If he can master that then he's set. That's what we practice.

Its fun to watch them fight. You have to keep them focused tho because you never know when they're going to just stop and start talking to each other. Kids will be kids.

The young kids can be funny in combat sports but if they are enjoying themselves that is what matters. My son started in judo at 5 and the matches then were funny. I remember him letting some kids win because he figured it wasn’t a fair fight and the other kid would be happy if they won lol. Good sport and was almost too kind when he was young

Form and technique are important for sure but learning to apply it in the ring is the key but you have years before this really matters. Enjoy the laughs and encourage him if he gets frustrated is all it’s about early on
Old 01-24-2024, 07:05 PM

Quote:
The young kids can be funny in combat sports but if they are enjoying themselves that is what matters. My son started in judo at 5 and the matches then were funny. I remember him letting some kids win because he figured it wasn’t a fair fight and the other kid would be happy if they won lol. Good sport and was almost too kind when he was young

Form and technique are important for sure but learning to apply it in the ring is the key but you have years before this really matters. Enjoy the laughs and encourage him if he gets frustrated is all it’s about early on
Ya it's funny how innocent a kids mind is. It sucks that they eventually outgrow it.