Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2024, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyetis View Post
Hahaha move over Pierre, we’ve got a new front runner for PM!!
I was thinking the same thing. Can an American UFC fighter run in canadian politics?
If not he'd make a fine republican
Old 01-19-2024, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
They can try...but the UFC is the last stronghold of an organization that has refused to cave to the alphabet mobs attacks.

Every other major sports league is lesser because they caved. Every, single, one.

That reporter thought he had his Gotcha! moment....in reality he just lost all future media credentials to ufc events going forward. He never asked those questions of a black or muslim fighter before...ask ourselves why not?

The narrative is unraveling before our eyes and its a glorious thing to watch.
Yup. Every other sport, when someone is being interviewed, the answers are all predictable. The answer is designed to not offend anyone or pull one way or the other.
UFC is the last stronghold where the stars can say what they feel without worrying about repercussions and having a pp slapped.
To an extent of course.
Old 01-19-2024, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
They can try...but the UFC is the last stronghold of an organization that has refused to cave to the alphabet mobs attacks.

Every other major sports league is lesser because they caved. Every, single, one.

That reporter thought he had his Gotcha! moment....in reality he just lost all future media credentials to ufc events going forward. He never asked those questions of a black or muslim fighter before...ask ourselves why not?

The narrative is unraveling before our eyes and its a glorious thing to watch.
Yeh it won’t work but they will try.
Who knew the last respectable sport would be the UFC.
Love it!
Old 01-19-2024, 02:58 PM

Maybe I’m just old school but all these woke narratives have no place in professional sports in my opinion. Be whatever the heck you want but using a professional sports platform to push these narratives in peoples faces is getting disgusting. No different than oilers pride night last night. Just drop the darn puck. Flame away! And by the way I have a gay brother in law and 1st cousin who I love to death. And they share my same views.
Old 01-19-2024, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyetis View Post
Maybe I’m just old school but all these woke narratives have no place in professional sports in my opinion. Be whatever the heck you want but using a professional sports platform to push these narratives in peoples faces is getting disgusting. No different than oilers pride night last night. Just drop the darn puck. Flame away! And by the way I have a gay brother in law and 1st cousin who I love to death. And they share my same views.
There was no reason for the reporter to ask those questions other than trying and stir crap. Nothing to do with the sport or up coming fights
Old 01-19-2024, 03:19 PM

" the UFC seems to have exited the business of policing fighters' speech. "
thats what upset them, not enough censorship. maybe they could give a couple million to the UFC to shut them up, they are experts

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-19-2024, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
Who knew the last respectable sport would be the UFC.
right?

I thought for sure being in bed with Disney they would have caved by now but that just proves that big corporations don't actually care about woke BS...they just like money and will ignore a good percentage of homophobia in order to keep the $$ flowing.
Old 01-19-2024, 03:30 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Dig deeper and not talking media rag it’s not a UFC coordinated stunt.

You’re right but the UFC enjoys it and gets the ratings up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-19-2024, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It's called freedom of speech. And it wasn't hard to predict who on AO would have an issue with it.
Not hard at all.
Old 01-19-2024, 03:39 PM

Default Sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
You’re right but the UFC enjoys it and gets the ratings up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bet the UFC would like it more if reporters just stuck to asking questions about fighting instead of Social Justice B.S.
Old 01-19-2024, 03:54 PM

Quote:
I bet the UFC would like it more if reporters just stuck to asking questions about fighting instead of Social Justice B.S.
While I agree with you. There's no chance they dont love the fact people are buzzing right now about stickland vs ddp....a fight that was flying well under the radar up until that clip went viral.
Old 01-19-2024, 03:55 PM

Quote:
No nothing to do with him speaking his mind or this interview. Nothing wrong with his stance either and probably where most stand.

Watch more of his interviews and Strickland admits he is not quite right in the head on multiple occasions.
So ever watch any interviews with Justin Trudeau ????? I say that boy not quite right in the head with more than a few screws loose .
Old 01-19-2024, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjr View Post
So ever watch any interviews with Justin Trudeau ????? I say that boy not quite right in the head with more than a few screws loose .
Strickland is a little crazy but Trudeau is just brain dead completely different

The hamster on that wheel is dead and Trudeau is so lost he hasn’t realized it yet
Old 01-19-2024, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Strickland is a little crazy but Trudeau is just brain dead completely different

The hamster on that wheel is dead and Trudeau is so lost he hasn’t realized it yet
If we are talking nutty lets look at bubbles the environment minister. .

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-19-2024, 04:32 PM

The question almost seemed a bit scripted, who doesn't like controversy when promoting a fight. Him and his management are likely taking a page out of McGregor's book (or maybe Vince Mcmahon's). He's not only catering to his fan base but also creating animosity with others that likely have no interest in combat sports. In the end it'll be all about PPV numbers. Some people will buy the fight hoping to watch him destroy Du Plessis, and maybe now you'll have a bunch more buy the fight hoping that he gets destroyed by Du Plessis. Many fighters play ball with the political flavor of the day looking for endorsement deals, while others just do what they can to market themselves while they are still marketable. Professional sports aren't for the timid, lol.
Old 01-19-2024, 05:02 PM

Meh.... I liked the UFC better when when classy sportsmen like George St Pierre were the headliners.

The UFC is becoming more "show" than sport and has too much in common with wrestling. I don't believe Strickland is any more sincere than Colby Covington is. It's just an act to stir up controversy and maybe, just maybe..... if all goes well.... line up a fight with one of the Paul brothers for big money.

Controversial white guys sure are popular with the UFC. I admit, I miss the Diaz brothers.
Old 01-19-2024, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
Meh.... I liked the UFC better when when classy sportsmen like George St Pierre were the headliners.

The UFC is becoming more "show" than sport and has too much in common with wrestling. I don't believe Strickland is any more sincere than Colby Covington is. It's just an act to stir up controversy and maybe, just maybe..... if all goes well.... line up a fight with one of the Paul brothers for big money.

Controversial white guys sure are popular with the UFC. I admit, I miss the Diaz brothers.
Oh he was pretty sincere. Maybe watch it again

UFC actually went up a notch in my books. As has been said before, one of the last sports that will actually speak up for what is right
Old 01-19-2024, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post

UFC actually went up a notch in my books. As has been said before, one of the last sports that will actually speak up for what is right
UFC is a promotion. MMA is the sport but ok lol….

I just hope Strickland has left something in the tank after all this social justice blah blah and he starches that South African…
Old 01-19-2024, 06:11 PM

Quote:

I do not understand. You say you liked it classy with GSP but next sentence you say you miss the Dias bros? That is like night and day and you like it both ways!
WDF
Old 01-19-2024, 06:23 PM

He says some funny stuff, but calling the reporter a weak man for accepting a hypothetical gay son, is something a closet gay-man says.
Old 01-20-2024, 01:04 AM

It was gold. Strickland is a beauty.
Old 01-20-2024, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muirsy View Post
He says some funny stuff, but calling the reporter a weak man for accepting a hypothetical gay son, is something a closet gay-man says.
Now, that is funny!
Old 01-20-2024, 05:36 AM

Sports and entertainment is a huge multi billion $$$ business, it's hyped up to no end and there is no such thing as bad press, anything to get clicks and ratings and air time good or bad has become the norm.

Strickland is a mouth piece as are 90% of the UFC fighters like them or not they say whatever they think will get them more time in front of the camera, whether it is scripted or not none of us will really know and really it doesn't make a difference, it's just one guy's opinion.

Football and hockey players wear the best best helmets available, when they get a hard hit to the head they have to go to concussion protocol, a UFC fighter gets punched and kicked in the head thousands of times in his career with no head protection, they hand him a mike and turn him loose in front of a camera.

If any athlete from any other sport rattled on like that it would be the end of his career, the public would roast him and the league would ban him, in the UFC meh anything goes baby, they don't care as long as the money keeps rolling in at the gate and on pay per view as I said before it's entertainment and people suck it up like free drinks at the bar on a Friday night.

And just like him this is only one persons opinion and it probably doesn't make a bit of difference one way or the other, you know what they say about opinions eh.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-20-2024, 06:06 AM

Quote:
There was no reason for the reporter to ask those questions other than trying and stir crap. Nothing to do with the sport or up coming fights
Or was it....

We will never know the truth nor the underlying agenda....marketing co,es in many forms.

Old 01-20-2024, 06:10 AM

Quote:
The UFC luvs anything that get them in the news be it good , bad or ugly....packs the stands and just makes money.

Yup....money.....

Old 01-20-2024, 11:37 AM

Quote:

That’s why he did it. All part of the marketing plan.
Old 01-20-2024, 11:47 AM

Quote:
That’s why he did it. All part of the marketing plan.
Or just maybe he is getting tired of his home country (US) as well as this one going down the crapper and he had an opportunity to voice his opinion to a large audience. I would love to have that chance.

All about marketing....right
Was the reporters questions scripted? Or did he touch a nerve that set Strickland off
Old 01-20-2024, 12:11 PM

Quote:
All about marketing....right
Was the reporters questions scripted? Or did he touch a nerve that set Strickland off
Definitely just speaking his mind.
Lots of material and interviews where he expresses his feelings on his government and even the current Canadian govt as well.
Old 01-20-2024, 12:25 PM

That warms my heart when people aren't afraid to speak the truth.
Old 01-20-2024, 01:52 PM

Strickland is sunk if the Drake curse is still of substance. Drake put down 700k for Strickland to win….

Frig lol….