Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-27-2016, 09:16 PM

Default What is normal 'Thanks' for getting permission on someone's land?

Hi guys, this is my first year hunting, I have an acquaintance that is taking me to a farm near his home town, where we have permission to hunt deer. I'm wondering if there is a norm for showing appreciation, like some of the meat or just a case of beer? I'm told the farmer is happy to have us there, as he has lots of deer to harvest, so maybe just a handshake is enough? I just want to make sure I'm following tradition.

I guess i could just as my acquaintance, but I figured I'd get a broader scope here...thanks guys
Old 10-27-2016, 09:19 PM

A card or a ring of sausage is usually appreciated. Develope the relationship, and that landowner will likely become a friend.

LC
Old 10-27-2016, 09:21 PM

Dont have permission on farms my self but figure its the same as whenever you recive a favour even if its still helping them. Ask the farmer in question or your friend what they want. Everyones diffrent. He may ask you to come out a day and help on the farm (someone i know helps with the calving in return) beer might be fine. just have a conversation and find out. And if they say its fine i dont need anything just leave somthing simple by the door with a decent thank you note. This is what i do for these types of situations
Old 10-27-2016, 09:27 PM

If you do something to show your appreciation after the hunt, and it wasn't a condition of being given access, you are good to go. If however you make a deal to provide any type of compensation in exchange for access for the purpose of hunting, then both you and the landowner would be committing a violation of the Wildlife Act.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PL511 View Post
Hi guys, this is my first year hunting, I have an acquaintance that is taking me to a farm near his home town, where we have permission to hunt deer. I'm wondering if there is a norm for showing appreciation, like some of the meat or just a case of beer? I'm told the farmer is happy to have us there, as he has lots of deer to harvest, so maybe just a handshake is enough? I just want to make sure I'm following tradition.

I guess i could just as my acquaintance, but I figured I'd get a broader scope here...thanks guys
A nice thank you card at Christmas with some home baking and a ring of sausage adds a nice personal touch that's says thank.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:41 PM

I usually try and leave a homemade "thing". This year it's BIG jars of dills, with lots of garlic and hot pepper in the dills, business cards, frig magnets and our personal contact numbers.
A thank you is often all that Landowners want.
In addition because hunting partner and I are retired we visit three or four times a year, converse and are not in a hurry to get at their land.
We visit even if we will not be on their land in any given year.
A lot of very good friendship have developed.
Invitations have gone out to join us fishing.
When asked to gopher control we come in the spring and do that.
I guess if I boiled it down respect for the Landowners is what will carry the day.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:50 PM

I always phone or meet in person after the hunt. Let em know what we got, or what we seen, as I always tell em thanks. I'll buy a round or two of coffee at the local watering hole as well. As a landowner, I like to see what guys got or at least know what they seen.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:08 PM

Leave the land BETTER than you found it. If you see something out of sort fix it or at least notify the landowner

Conversation. Talk to the landowner for a chat and find out what they like, but don't ask outright as it can come off as rude. In a short chat you find enough hints on how to thank them.

It may be something home made or a bottle if you were unsuccessful, but if you do harvest something you should give them something from the animal.

The above mentioned sausage or a few cuts of meat are usually appreciated, particularly by older landowners who don't get out on their own anymore.

I also know a guy who dedicates a day to take an old landowner out for a hunt after he has filled his quota. The drive around in his truck and harvest something and he and his kid do all the heavy lifting for the old gentleman. From what I hear I think it's the highlight of the guys year!
Old 10-28-2016, 06:46 AM

New Coveralls. XL. Case new Green Kings. + 40lber. They will be calling you back in April. When you coming out!
Old 10-28-2016, 10:16 AM

I go out and say thank you in person, have a conversation and leave a box of Purdy's chocolates.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:28 AM
Gone Fishing

Throw a tin of Hortons coffee in the truck and you should be good. If the land owner doesnt drink coffee I would be surprised. Its not the present, its the future your securing, with a present.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:30 AM

A bottle of rye for the farmer and a nice bottle of wine for his wife and ask if you can buy a cow, pig or chickens or whatever he grows or raises from him.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:46 AM

If you are going to Hudderite farm. Go 1 hour earlier than planned.Drink coffee, talk, buy.The Hudderites are great. I enjoyed talking with them in the many colonies We have visited.There are strings attached. You will buy, moccasins, leather gloves, toques, etc. Go Xmas shopping while hunting.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilngas View Post
I usually try and leave a homemade "thing". This year it's BIG jars of dills, with lots of garlic and hot pepper in the dills, business cards, frig magnets and our personal contact numbers.
A thank you is often all that Landowners want.
In addition because hunting partner and I are retired we visit three or four times a year, converse and are not in a hurry to get at their land.
We visit even if we will not be on their land in any given year.
A lot of very good friendship have developed.
Invitations have gone out to join us fishing.
When asked to gopher control we come in the spring and do that.
I guess if I boiled it down respect for the Landowners is what will carry the day.
X2 something homemade will always be appreciated, if said farmer makes a hint at a type of alcohol he enjoys, by all means, a bottle is nice, however, there are many recovering alcoholics out there so be careful before gifting booze, a rare bag of coffee, is always a nice gesture !
Old 10-28-2016, 04:01 PM

Homemade spicy relish and Belgian chocolates this year
Old 10-28-2016, 04:05 PM

Booze and a handshake is the universal gesture of thanks.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:15 PM

And learn how to spell Hutterite. They like that

Hut·ter·ite
ˈhətəˌrīt/
noun
plural noun: Hutterites
a member of either an Anabaptist Christian sect established in Moravia in the early 16th century, or a North American community holding similar beliefs and practicing an old-fashioned communal way of life.

back to seriousness,

Here, leaving the land as you found it without trace of being there is all they ask. They enjoy having someone they know watching for them.

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 10-28-2016 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
If you are going to Hudderite farm. Go 1 hour earlier than planned.Drink coffee, talk, buy.The Hudderites are great. I enjoyed talking with them in the many colonies We have visited.There are strings attached. You will buy, moccasins, leather gloves, toques, etc. Go Xmas shopping while hunting.
Just don't get caught up in the Hutterite breeding program.

Grizz
Old 10-28-2016, 04:26 PM

Correct Ken. All these years, spelling Hutterite wrong. First one to correct me.
Thank you
PB43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
And learn how to spell Hutterite. They like that

Hut·ter·ite
ˈhətəˌrīt/
noun
plural noun: Hutterites
a member of either an Anabaptist Christian sect established in Moravia in the early 16th century, or a North American community holding similar beliefs and practicing an old-fashioned communal way of life.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
X2 something homemade will always be appreciated, if said farmer makes a hint at a type of alcohol he enjoys, by all means, a bottle is nice, however, there are many recovering alcoholics out there so be careful before gifting booze, a rare bag of coffee, is always a nice gesture !
Agreed! No booze as a gift unless I have shared a drink with the landowner already

LC
Old 10-28-2016, 07:44 PM

Hmm I`ve yet to be given anything.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2K View Post
Very rare to get anything here to. Lots of guys around here can't even say thank you for getting permission.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:58 PM

Cool thread. Heading down by myself for the first time to hunt an area (118) with a vast amount of private land. First time for me hunting something other than crown land. No idea what to expect or how people will react when I drive up the driveway. Kind of nervous to be honest.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2K View Post
were you at maybe we could sit down and have a chat for a while
Old 10-28-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If you do something to show your appreciation after the hunt, and it wasn't a condition of being given access, you are good to go. If however you make a deal to provide any type of compensation in exchange for access for the purpose of hunting, then both you and the landowner would be committing a violation of the Wildlife Act.
This is true. Especially the last sentence.
I make it known to the rancher that I'm only here for the biggest, and best buck that the land can grow.
I usually let them know that I prefer beef over venison anyday and that if they keep making beef I will keep buying it.
letting him know that your saving $1000 on meat costs on something that stomped his caNola crop into oblivion really doesn't make there face light up...

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 10-28-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdee View Post
were you at maybe we could sit down and have a chat for a while
huh?
Old 10-28-2016, 08:44 PM

first round would be on me to see how i could help you in exchange for a walk
on your property
Old 10-28-2016, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Bar View Post
Very rare to get anything here to. Lots of guys around here can't even say thank you for getting permission.
A buddy of mine secured permission to archery hunt elk on private land. He stopped in at the land owners on the way home to say thank you....the land owner was dumbfounded he took the time to stop and chat afterwards. He said most guys just leave.

LC
Old 10-28-2016, 09:00 PM

I've done all different things. Gave game aid sausage, salami, liquor, tenderloins from your elk, farm work, work in the shop, repairs,etc. It goes a long ways when your willing to put time in instead of just here take this gift. Getting your hands dirty seems like more of an appreciation
Old 10-28-2016, 09:45 PM

It's a good thing to give a little token of appreciation like sausage from your harvest but the most important thing is to call them up and thank them personally.
That goes father and means more to them than a material gift.

Tags
deer, first time, gift, landowner, permission