Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2024, 11:11 AM

Without immigration Canada's population would start to decline. If your not indigenous to Canada your family were also immigrants at some time. What we really need is to be much more selective in who gets in at immigration.
Old 01-25-2024, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Without immigration Canada's population would start to decline. If your not indigenous to Canada your family were also immigrants at some time. What we really need is to be much more selective in who gets in at immigration.
Not picking on you as such, but I hear this statement a lot. My immediate thoughts are this:

-What is actually wrong with a declining population? We used to have a great deal less population in this country and we were fine. Some of the best most prosperous decades in Canada.

-Would a declining population not solve some of the biggest problems the Liberal Progressives complain about these days? Housing shortage. Climate change; bringing people from warm places to live in a freezing Canada where we need heat for 7 months out of the year. Load on the health care system.

- Aging demographic? Maybe if young people were not beat down by taxes and inflation due to government overspending, they might want to have and support more kids.

I am not sold that we need as much immigration as governments preach we need. It is good for them though, more taxes, bigger government, and most importantly more partisan votes.

What is Canada's ideal population?
Old 01-25-2024, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I am not against immigration, but one can’t ignore the effects of reckless immigration. The Bank of Canada says record levels of immigration are driving up the cost of housing,

“What's happened in the Canadian economy over the last year is we had a particularly big surge in population growth through immigration. It came at a time when there was constrained supply. You can see this most clearly in the housing sector, in particular in rents."

The same is true for healthcare.
Old 01-25-2024, 04:22 PM

The crazy thing was that in my generation, we were discouraged from having more than one or two kids. Save the environment etc.

But apparently we need to “bring in more people” on a massive scale. Hmmmm.

There is an optimal rate for immigration, but we are well beyond that.
Old 01-25-2024, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Well that proves it, they are inept, I am voting NDP next time.
Haha, right?
Old 01-25-2024, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britman101 View Post
The UCP government talks about how they are going to change healthcare and make it more accessible for all Albertans. They then have a travelling roadshow that was supposed to go to 40 towns across Alberta to hear from the general public. Well the engagement sessions started this past Tuesday in Lethbridge and apparently it was a full house. And from the sounds of it, things were said that were not favorable to the UCP. Well some government noses must be out of joint, because they have cancelled the engagement session that was slated to take place in Medicine Hat on Thursday. Instead they will carry on with the engagement session in the safe haven of Brooks on Thursday afternoon.
What is that old saying, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
Just wondering.
This engagement session was Thursday the 25th in morning at the Baymont on 13th Ave.
Old 01-26-2024, 08:56 AM

Interesting. Will have to wait to for the news reports to see how the meeting went. And I tried to register and attend the meeting. In the beginning, yes it looks like the meeting was to be held that morning in Medicine Hat. However, when you try and register it was removed. If it was full they could have put people on a wait list. Anyhow they probably saw who they wanted to attend at the meeting.
Old 01-26-2024, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
The crazy thing was that in my generation, we were discouraged from having more than one or two kids. Save the environment etc.

But apparently we need to “bring in more people” on a massive scale. Hmmmm.

There is an optimal rate for immigration, but we are well beyond that.
Our points based immigration system values quality but Liberal version of immigration now puts quantity over quality.
Old 01-26-2024, 02:44 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
When the Feds offer cash to the provinces, they usually impose conditions, which prevents things from being as
"easy" as you think. You have to look beyond liberal propaganda, to see the truth.

I am not seeing anything imposed unless you dig up something.
1.06 Billion to the province for health care now it’s up to our prairie princess to spend the money wisely or ?

https://globalnews.ca/news/10184971/...th-ottawa/amp/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-26-2024, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
1.06 Billion to the province for health care now it’s up to our prairie princess to spend the money wisely or ?

The deal is that provinces must commit to “improving how health data is collected, improving transparency, and they must make detailed action plans on how the funds will be spent and how progress will be measured”

Unreasonable conditions? That I do not know. I do know that our health Minister in Saskatchewan was quoted as saying that meeting the condition of the action plan would be easy to achieve.
Old 01-27-2024, 04:14 PM

So it has just been released by the media that AHS has reached a settlement with the HSAA union for hospital workers that refused to get vaccinated with the Covid 19 vaccine and were told they could not report to work by Alberta Health Services(AHS). After about a month or so, AHS relented and allowed these workers to come back to work, although they had to take Covid 19 express tests I believe to prove they were negative.
Well AHS because of grievances filed by HSAA employees has agreed to pay about 700 employees a cash payout of $ 5000. They are doing this with our taxpayer dollars to make this problem go away. A labor lawyer has commented on this and says it establishes a very questionable precedent. Because basically all the employees in question chose to not get the shot because they did not believe in it. They could not prove they had a medical condition which would have endangered their lives if they received the Covid 19 vaccine.
This is just the first union settlement as now AHS must settle on the same issue with the nurses, AUPE union workers, and doctors who also refused to get the shot.

Again the taxpayers most foot the bill. What is also interesting is that even though CTV contacted AHS, the healthcare minister, and even the HSAA union none of these parties would agree to appear on camera to give their views on the settlement.

Only in Canada.

Last edited by britman101; 01-27-2024 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-28-2024, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britman101 View Post
So it has just been released by the media that AHS has reached a settlement with the HSAA union for hospital workers that refused to get vaccinated with the Covid 19 vaccine and were told they could not report to work by Alberta Health Services(AHS). After about a month or so, AHS relented and allowed these workers to come back to work, although they had to take Covid 19 express tests I believe to prove they were negative.
Well AHS because of grievances filed by HSAA employees has agreed to pay about 700 employees a cash payout of $ 5000. They are doing this with our taxpayer dollars to make this problem go away. A labor lawyer has commented on this and says it establishes a very questionable precedent. Because basically all the employees in question chose to not get the shot because they did not believe in it. They could not prove they had a medical condition which would have endangered their lives if they received the Covid 19 vaccine.
This is just the first union settlement as now AHS must settle on the same issue with the nurses, AUPE union workers, and doctors who also refused to get the shot.

Again the taxpayers most foot the bill. What is also interesting is that even though CTV contacted AHS, the healthcare minister, and even the HSAA union none of these parties would agree to appear on camera to give their views on the settlement.

Only in Canada.
it's the same as talking to the police, anything you say will be used against you,

best advice ever "Don't talk to the Police and don't talk to reporters"
Old 01-28-2024, 08:00 AM

Quote:
FN immigrated over the Bering Sea Land bridge about 20,000 years ago. Tough life with glaciation.

No Homo sapiens evolved in North America.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peopli...%20years%20ago.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-28-2024, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Vast majority of people are not opposed to immigration they are opposed to open border or mass influx of immigrants. Many would also like to see improvements to infrastructure and overall quality of life for present citizens first before bringing in more people increasing stress on an already overextended system

I for one see no issue bringing in skilled immigrants that are looking to help improve society but the above issues also need to be addressed

Sorry I don’t buy that we need a large influx of people either especially with the present state of infrastructure and services that are not keeping up to our present population
Old 01-28-2024, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post

Well they did threaten to hold back healthcare aid unless we put in Covid restrictions.