Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2024, 08:16 AM

Default Scam attempt

I own a small hardwood company.
Get a text nite before last …have a house in Acadia (Calgary) have people waiting to move in but need some flooring done first.
Ok..not uncommon.
Need it done immediately but I’m out of town for work.
I am a realtor, I’ll be back in 2 weeks.
The house is 1700 sq.ft on main floor. I’ve never seen a 1700 bungalow in Acadia.
He sends pics of house w address, google maps match’s it up.interior is mint , all renovated plus flooring.
I’m confused but proceed to ask more questions.
First and foremost I’d like an actual ph call so I know whom I’m speaking with.
I’m not gettting my questions answered but just 1 word answers.
I’m growing frustrated as I’m wracking my brain how I can fit this job in to our schedule.
Anyhow texts dry up that eve and continue yesterday morning.
I finally get a call from person a FaceTime audio call.I absolutely cannot understand person on other end. Wth! This is ****ing me off now, he won’t give me access to the house for me to look, it’s empty..how can I give budget numbers without a site visit?
Anyhow I tell him a very high hypothetical number and that I will not go any further without a materials deposit.
Send me an Etransfer and I’ll get your house done for you…I’m sorry he says, im old fashioned and don’t etransfer, I’d like to email you a image of a company cheque.
Ya right I think, I tell him walk into your bank and send a wire transfer.
Keeps insisting on emailed image.
I delete and block conversation and here we are.

Just a new twist on an old scam, I’m sure he’d send me $80 K and whoops I paid to much sir you owe me $70.
Old 01-27-2024, 08:37 AM

Use common sense and you likely won't be scammed. I remember when I called my dad to tell him I was in jail and needed bail. A moment of silence and then, you should stay there for a week.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 01-27-2024, 09:43 AM

Default A hobby of mine

I love it when scammers try us. My hubs just hands the phone off to me so I can play along with it. If I can waste their time, I'll string them along to waste their time as much as possible. There's a guy trying to do that right now with a snowmobile on FB...the worst place for that kind of thing.
Old 01-27-2024, 10:10 AM

Smile There is a note on facebook from Cochrane...

The lady who wrote the story had an experience just like this one. It must have gotten to India that we are stupid in Alberta, I guess not.

As a hobby, to keep an old man amused, I do scam baiting, it has worked too well I guess, I'm now on the "do not call list" so no more phone calls. Too bad really, I like it.

Technique #1. When the caller says "Hello this is agent Jim McLain, I say NO IT ISN'T, Akbar, they let you back into to India, you old ***, use as much profanity here as you are comfortable with, that's when I get a click.

Technique #2 I respond in "Fringlish" and demand to speak to a French speaking agent, then click.

I haven't got one of these bank scams yet. If I do I'll tell you how it goes.
Old 01-27-2024, 01:23 PM

I've been known to imitate that East Indian accident, drives them around the bend and gets them really angry at times.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 01-27-2024, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
I've been known to imitate that East Indian accident, drives them around the bend and gets them really angry at times.
Yes it does do that…we must be brothers, I’ve done the same as you, and pretty much got the same results after a few short and fun minutes of chatter…good on ya!
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip