Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2024, 06:18 PM

Default Pop up Truck Camper

I am looking at a 2002 Palomino truck camper. It's a slide in, pop up and weighs 1200 lbs.

It's meant for a long box but I have a f150 6.5ft. Does anyone know whether it could hang on the tail gate?

Thx
Old 01-21-2024, 06:24 PM

Just remove the tailgate. It’ll get beat to crap with rocks and be all chipped up.
Old 01-21-2024, 07:15 PM

Sounds like the same Palomino I have. I run it in a 6.5' box Chevy. I also added some heavier leaf springs as it definitely makes the back end sit low. Air bags would be another option. I love the light weight campers pop up campers. Not many places I can't go with it. I have run with the tailgate on and off. Like ghfalls says you'll subject the gate to rocks bouncing off it.
Old 01-21-2024, 07:31 PM

I carry and 8’ camper on my F150 Sport pkg with a 6.5 box. It doesn’t actually sit on the tailgate just on the box. The tailgate is about 1” below the camper base. I leave the tailgate on so I can use the step built into it. I haven’t noticed any damage to the tailgate.
Old 01-24-2024, 03:37 PM

I have my Palomino pop up (2016 but same deal judging by the weight you posted) in my Short box GMC 2500. I took the tail gate off so we could use the stairs on the camper.

If I remember correctly from when I was looking it depended on the model number, there is 1 model that can not be used in a short box because of where the center of gravity of the camper is located, all other models were short and long box interchangeable.

Love my Palomino pop up, you barely know it is there with the diesel in the 3/4 ton truck and I still get decent fuel mileage