Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-13-2014, 06:42 PM

Cool Shooting.......

Well finally hit up my first shoot. It was put on by the boys from Shaw Taxidermy. It was an outdoor 3D shoot with 3 stations with 3-5 targets and 2-3 different shooting spots. Ranges from 13-54yrds iirc. Only hit one tree on a difficult shot with the standing bear, and lost 1 arrow at the 100yrd pot shot..... waaayyyy short lol.

Today I was at the range to get my 60pin dialed in finally. shooting was going great. Then towards me shuttin er down I was consistantly shooting left. I didnt change my sight hoping that my shooting was going down hill due to shooting so much the last couple days. The only thing thats got me stumped is the grouping was pretty tight, only to the left of where I was shooting. My thinking is if my shooting was going to crap from alot of shooting I would be all over the place.

My sight is tight I dont think I changed up in my form at all. Im going to give it a few days rest then go back, but im just wondering if your poi changes as you shoot??

Also a few side notes lol. I did very well shooting at 60 for the first time, I was actually surprised lol. Shooting at around 10yrds is actually alot tougher then it looks as far as shooting where you want to be. Shooting from 50-60 I found the arrow drops quite a bit over those 10yrds. I also want to add a couple pins to my sight, Not so much for shooting animals at distance, but for shooting targets. Shooting at extended ranges is pretty intense lol. Also as a last lil side note, Im glad I started into archery!! I wish I woulda joined the club sooner!!

I would like to thank Dshaw for the invite! It was alot of fun and cant wait to go back! Maybe ill have some elk burgers to bring next year lol
Old 07-13-2014, 07:33 PM

Couple things I find for me personally when shooting out side is the sun. Over the years of shooting outdoor 3D competition s is sun location .. if its super bright out I always tend to shoot a touch left. Another big thing is string stretching after a day of shooting in the heat .. a little bit of stretch will twist your peep causing you to compensate the slightest little bit without knowing you are compensating ... typically after shooting alot of arrows shoulders and back gets fatigued resulting in tourquing your bow..

Next time start shooting your sixty first and see how you do .. preferably on a cloudy day . see if you notice a difference ..
Old 07-13-2014, 07:37 PM

A right handed shooter will pull shots left when he gets tired and is not pulling into the back wall....a lefty is the opposite. Learned this last weekend at a shoot and it's true...so when you are fatigued you will pull your shots left.

Also, like was mentioned different lighting will cause you to see (use) your sight pins differently and you can get a wandering POI due to lighting changes. Really notice this shooting indoors at different venues.

Again as was mentioned string stretch when shooting under hot conditions is a real effect...a buddy had this issue last weekend at a shoot, his anchor slightly changed and the draw length was longer in the heat.

LC
Old 07-13-2014, 08:25 PM

Ill give my body a couple days rest, being in leth I dunno if I can beat the heat lol. But Ill shoot at 60 and get back to you guys

Fwiw im a lefty
Old 07-13-2014, 08:38 PM

Nice to hear I am not the only one who has experience pulling shots constantly when tired. Also experienced the heat effect on a bow at the Southern Alberta summer games a few week-end ago. My bow is flat black and was in my open case in the back of the truck, in the sun (I should know better). Bow was shooting high at all distances, Had to reduce distance by 8 yards to compensate on all shots. The next morning every thing was back to normal.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:15 AM

Grip, torquing your bow. Time to put it down, have a drink and pick it back up tomm all refreshed. Happens all the time and you see guys chasing their tail trying to get sight adjusted. When I get like that I know I have shot too much for the day and just put the bow away. Next day spot on and then try not too shoot as many arrows just enough to build me up but not enough to push me over.

Cheers, Elk
Old 07-14-2014, 08:27 AM

Betting as you fatigued an anchor point changed ever so slightly...but at 60yds even a slight 1/16 or smaller change in anchor can have the results you described...

At short shot distances... under 20 yds to 10 simply use 20 pin under X instead of dead on...with most modern bows of today in that 60-70 lb the 20 pin will keep you in a kill zone

Here's where it gets interesting...at 5 yards use your 40 yd pin...yup FORTY YARD PIN...lol...try it!!!

Neil
Old 07-18-2014, 09:28 PM

Default Well its been almost a week.........

AS the title says, its been almost a week. My first shot was at 50 since I was nervous and didnt wanna break an arrow lol....

Bang on 60 was great and the rest of the shooting went good. I let one set go at 70 to see how far it dropped from 60-70. I didnt actually measure but if it comes down to it 60 pin on the top of the back will be a double lunger lol (on a deer).

I was amazed though that after the bow shoot last week ontop of the shooting afterwards, that I was getting consistant groups, only to the left. Im not 100% sure what changed with my form or what ever, But I definatly experienced my first actually "shooting gone to crap" moment lol.

Once again after shooting today I am more and more stoked for this upcoming bow season!!! It doesnt help that iv seen more deer this week then I have since april! Even the neighborhood deer are starting to come around again!

Hopefully I can have some great pics or even footage to share with the fellow archers this season
Old 07-18-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Betting as you fatigued an anchor point changed ever so slightly...but at 60yds even a slight 1/16 or smaller change in anchor can have the results you described...

At short shot distances... under 20 yds to 10 simply use 20 pin under X instead of dead on...with most modern bows of today in that 60-70 lb the 20 pin will keep you in a kill zone

Here's where it gets interesting...at 5 yards use your 40 yd pin...yup FORTY YARD PIN...lol...try it!!!

Neil
At three yards you use an even higher distance pin

LC