Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-13-2014, 02:40 PM

Default Sight Too Low

I went to sight in my new bow and got to the point where I'm tuned at 20, 30, 40, 50 yards. The problem is that I want to set my sights from 30 - 60 yards as that's where I've always taken my animals. I can't though as my sight is at it's lowest adjustment point and my pins are all at the bottom of the sight. Everytime I tried to move everything up my arrows just kept hitting lower. Is this a peep or nocking point problem? [IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-13-2014, 02:51 PM

Why not forgo the 20 yrd pin and start with the 30?
Old 07-13-2014, 03:47 PM

Assuming you have good form and an acceptable anchor and the bow fits you properly (draw length proper)....When I set up a sight I like to center the pins in the housing first (have the 30-40 in the middle) then use the gang adjustment on the sight to set your twenty pin....if the gang will not allow and you run out of adjustment, I would adjust the rest....if still out of whack, look back to the peep and nock point....have someone watch you draw and anchor....your form may be a contributing factor.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 07-13-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:26 PM

I never thought to set my 30 first. Now that I think about it I'm wondering why I wouldn't. I blame the 30 degree heat I was in all day while doing this as I can't admit to being so stupid otherwise.

Bow fits very well and my form is fairly well practiced. Pins were initially in the middle of the housing but when I went to set my first pin on target I had to move housing down, then pins down in order to get my first pin on target. Seems to me like something further back is causing this to aim low.

Thanks guys for your input.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:03 PM

Is your peep sight served in? I wonder if it is moving on you.

LC
Old 07-13-2014, 05:07 PM

Peep is served. I get consistent groups with the set up I have now. It's just that the bow seems to be shooting at the lowest point my sight can handle.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:46 PM

Can you move your peep up slightly? That should allow you to raise your sight & pins.
If it's a small change, it shouldn't affect your anchor point.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:16 PM

Default Nocking point???

Is this a new bow or new to you bow. Do you trust the person that set it up knew what they were doing?

I am asking because in the picture you posted the D Loop doesn't appear to be anywhere near the center of the serving. I am not saying you have to be in the center but it looks strange to me (might be the camera angle.

When in doubt, do a set-up check yourself. Put a square on your string and check your center shot. With the square on your string your nocking point should be at the same height or slightly higher than the center of the bolt holding your arrow rest. (center shot). There are many tutorial on the internet that should give you a good stating point. Learn the basics of how to set-up a bow, it will help you understand better what's going on when things aren't quite right and might save your hunt. You don't always have access to a pro shop when out in hunting camp. (broken D-loop, loose peep, peep rotation, misc bolts coming loose, faulty arrow rest) make sure you learn how to do basic repair and set-up, it might not be perfect and you might have to decrease your range for shots but it will not ruin your hunting trip.

Other quick check you can perform. Are your limb bolts adjusting your draw weight out the same amount of turns, Did you paper tune your bow to check proper arrow flight.

Good luck and good reading tonight.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:24 PM

L.O.S.T. arrow had a post not long ago on paper tuning. Paper tuning will tell you for sure if you have a problem with your nock point height.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:30 PM

The biggest problem is that this wasn't set up by anyone. I'm sorting through this from scratch whereas I've previously had some direct help. Next I'll try to move my nocking point up and see where that takes me. Hopefully I'll have time before vacation kicks in.

I certainly appreciate the good people of this forum for helping me out.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:33 PM

My suggestion then is that you look up tutorial on how to set-up a new bow and start from scratch, then paper tune and walk back tune. If you start by just guessing where you need to be, you will be waisting a lot of days and be really frustated and in the end your bow will probably never shoot as good as it can.

By the way. my guess is that your Dloop need to go down( just a guess)

The only good short cut to this is to pay a pro to do this for you, but again you won't have the satisfaction of saying you did it. The time you will spend doing a proper initial set-up will more than pay for itself in time saved doing your final touch up. If you don't achieve proper arrow flight you will never get broad head to fly straight, even mechanical one.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker View Post
The biggest problem is that this wasn't set up by anyone. I'm sorting through this from scratch whereas I've previously had some direct help. Next I'll try to move my nocking point up and see where that takes me. Hopefully I'll have time before vacation kicks in.

I certainly appreciate the good people of this forum for helping me out.
Keep it simple for now
-Check arrow rest height, ensure that the arrow is going through the berger hole (bolt hole your arrow rests attaches with)
-check nock point, having the arrow close to 90 degrees to the string or up just a hair is a good starting point

this should help any minor issues with sight height; otherwise, it is your anchor point/peep height, and in this case the peep would have to move up in order to get your sight to move up.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytAlpha35 View Post
Keep it simple for now
-Check arrow rest height, ensure that the arrow is going through the berger hole (bolt hole your arrow rests attaches with)
-check nock point, having the arrow close to 90 degrees to the string or up just a hair is a good starting point

this should help any minor issues with sight height; otherwise, it is your anchor point/peep height, and in this case the peep would have to move up in order to get your sight to move up.
Agreed this is your first step...

Second looking at the picture...your pins can rise a good half inch in the main sight ring housing itself...

simple fix...if pins are set cut out a piece of stiff paper insert in ring and mark pins...move 20 yard pin up in sight ring 1/2 inch and with pin marked paper move rest of pins to match on 20 pin...that will give you a huge margin right there...

Another factor is how you are achoring...some anchor way too high...
measure from your nocking point...under top loop nock where arrow nock sits ...and measure OC [on center] to peep....what is that measurement...most are in that 5 1/4 to 5 1/2 measurement with proper draw and anchor...[of course varies from shooter to shooter]

A few easy fixes..if all is good your sight ring should be near center on sight bar with lots of play for pins...

Neil
Old 07-14-2014, 04:57 PM

Please excuse me if I'm wrong...I'm new to this...Whisker Bisquits have no vertical adjustment. Maybe try a different (better?) rest that will allow you to adjust the rest up, so that your sight can be adjusted up also?
Old 07-14-2014, 07:03 PM

I had similar issue and found that I was leaning my head like I was shooting rifle. I think that you have to correct your shooting position and this will allow you to mount peep and rest little higher.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
Please excuse me if I'm wrong...I'm new to this...Whisker Bisquits have no vertical adjustment.
Only the Quick Shot doesn't have an elevation adjustment. The Sure Shot, Pro-Power Shot, and Kill Shot, all have windage and elevation adjustment.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic1 View Post
I had similar issue and found that I was leaning my head like I was shooting rifle. I think that you have to correct your shooting position and this will allow you to mount peep and rest little higher.
Very true. Close your eyes, draw back to your anchor point, then open your eyes...you should be looking through your peep...if you have to lean into it...it's too low.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:42 AM

Default Too low

I would do what LOST Arrow suggested and move the pins in the housing, also check with a bow square that your D-loop is 90 degrees to the berger hole.
As far as a WB with no elevation adjustment it is designed to be level with the berger hole so it should be OK.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:08 AM

If all the other suggestions on anchoring and such are being followed make sure that you can or cannot flip the mounting bracket on your sight. Quite a few sights allow you to flip the bracket to raise or lower your housing. Also check your bow for 2 sets of sight attachment holes, my bow has a higher and a lower set. If you are around the Lacombe area drop me a line and I can assist.

Cheers, Elk
Old 07-15-2014, 01:26 PM

I'm busy as heck this week then on vacation for the next 2 but I'll certainly follow the good advice here on my return. Once again, greatly appreciated!