Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-12-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleyhunter7 View Post
Heard a good one at timber creek in rocky today guy i was talking to said hea getting 3300 fps outta his 7mm08 with 150 grain partitions me an the owner couldnt believe how serious he was being
yeah a fellow at work with a big boy 30-378 wb told me he was getting 5100-5500 fps out of his .i laughed and told him the only gun close to doing that is a 223 or 243 wssm, think the later at 4600 or so. told him my 204 goes 4100 fps, and no rifles shoot 5000 fps.

i think the germans had a artillery gun in ww1 called the paris gun that would fire its shells that fast though-first man made thing to reach the stratosphere i think.

this is a funny thread,good read
Old 03-12-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcat View Post
One of the best I've heard:
Guy is pointing the zoom ring of the 3-9x40 scope on the rifle.
"You put it on 3, then you zero it at 300 feet, if you want to shoot further, you turn the dial. At 9 it will be zeroed to 900 feet".
I jump in, telling that it's just a zoom, the adjustement will stay the same regardless of the power.
The owner looked at me 3-4 seconds, then said: "No, those are working that way" in a kind of 'mind your business' tone.
I walked away, scope was a 3200.
ha ha , yeah i was breaking in a new 17 hmr on a friend of a friends land so the guy (land owner)pulled out his 17, it was a lever gun with a scope , and he thought the same thing ,- thought the power or the objective-focus lens was what changed its POI. i laughed really good and explained it to him . he says well i guess thats why im always missing those grouse. (or something like that)

so i took his rifle off him and sighted it in for 100 yards ( really innacurate though- but since he was so clueless i didnt really care)as best i could. told him if the target is at 30 yards aim low and at 150 yards aim a foot high above the target- or something like that.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:26 AM

Default .458 bullets? not for a 45/70!

Me: I'm looking to buy some .458 bullets for my 45/70... Can I have a look at those Barnes Busters behind you?

Salesman: ....(1000yd stare, turns around, picks up the Hornady .444 FTX; pretends to read the box)..." We don't have nothin for a 45/70 sir."

Me: That's because mine shoots a .458 bullet. May I see the box of bullets to your immediate right?

Salesman: "NO! those are for a .458! Thats the win-mag..." In a tone that implied I was the dumb one...

I couldn't leave the store fast enough... Some peoples kids. This guy had at least 10 years on me to boot and was all geared up like he knew what was going on... painful.

My runner up was the guy at the counter telling a newby buying a 300WSM that if he topped that T3 with a Huskemaw he would be shooting "lights out!" up to 1000yds when he got it back... Me thinks somebody watches Best of the West a little too often...
Old 03-12-2013, 09:07 PM

Me-"why are you guys selling the winchesters so cheap?"
Counter jockey-"browning owns winchester and gives them the junky barrels, no one will buy them"
Me-"well I'll take them 3 model 70 coyotes for $1800 taxes in"
CJ-"I'll have to ask store manager.....5min later...he said sure"

"Tikka's are made in china, that's why they are cheaper than sako's"

Customer "can I see that weatherby deluxe please"
Clerk "I can't sell you a weatherby, they don't shoot and are expensive"
Intervene me...."Why do you have 10 on display then? Maybe its you behind the weatherby that's the problem"
Old 03-12-2013, 09:46 PM

"What type of scope is best for shooting with a spotlight at night?"
Old 03-18-2013, 10:30 AM

Default Obsolete

Gun shop in Edmonton.
Me- Have you got any 307 Winchester brass?
Salesman- What's that?
Me- For a Winchester Model 94 lever action?
Some Customer at Counter- Oh that's obsolete no one makes that.
Salesman- I've never heard of that caliber, are you sure it's 307?
Me- (Looking at 6 boxes of factory ammo on shelve) So what are those boxes of Winchester 307 ammo for?
Salesman- Low power rounds for a 308.
That's when I left.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:30 AM

Can you mount a scope for me?
Old 03-18-2013, 08:45 PM

The one that gets me.....Yeah just grab a number and someone will be with you in a minute.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleJ View Post
Can you mount a scope for me?
And in Larry's famous last words, the above would have to be followed by...."forgive me Lord"......gitrrrrrrrrdunnnn.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:35 AM

9.3 bullets don't exist, maybe in europe but not here in Canada!

I asked about ordering some .366 hornady bullets instead, no problem not sure how long it would take.

I left without ordering I'll stick with mail order from tradex or Prophet river.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:02 PM

Was accused of hunting past legal light because I wanted to look at a scope with an illuminate reticle in Calgary.....

Had a chat with the manager needless to say.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
I was at cabelas on Sunday. Was ringing up my .243 when the gentle on side me asks what I'm gonna shoot with it. I tell him deer and maybe an elk when I find a premium bullet that shoots good. Me and this guy have a little chat when the counter guy comes in and says the absolute minimum that you.can kill an elk with is 30-06 with 180 partition bullet. I laughed but the guy I was talking with went from wanting a 270 to a 30-06, because apparently a 270 can't kill an elk. Then they both kind of turned me saying that i was making a bad decision and a 243 is only marginal for coyotes at best.

Thankfully, the guy I was dealing with kind of noticed what was going on and pulled me down to the end, and apologized saying that some of the guys working here don't even hunt lol.

I got no problem with the guy changing to an 06 from a 270 especially after listening to someone who is planning on shooting elk with a 243. This thread back fired on you pal. My next post may start out with " the most goofy thing I have heard (or read ) was on this thread. At least a coyote is a humane kill with a 243. We all know that a 243 could kill an elk but to plan on it and mock a newbie for gunning up to an 06 is as goofy as anything I have read in the first 6 pages. WOW
Old 03-20-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims71duster View Post
I got no problem with the guy changing to an 06 from a 270 especially after listening to someone who is planning on shooting elk with a 243. This thread back fired on you pal. My next post may start out with " the most goofy thing I have heard (or read ) was on this thread. At least a coyote is a humane kill with a 243. We all know that a 243 could kill an elk but to plan on it and mock a newbie for gunning up to an 06 is as goofy as anything I have read in the first 6 pages. WOW
wow, yes. you remind me of a leghold trap or something
Old 03-21-2013, 10:36 AM

young fella just yesterday at an Edmonton shop.

"Wipe Out is so strong you have to run a patch through immediately or it will ruin the rifling inside the barrel. DO NOT LET IT SIT"

Same guy.

"Nikon AR scopes and corresponding mounts cannot be shipped to canada due to import/export restrictions"

I went home and ordered one from Clay at prophet river. Just got the email saying it shipped out this morning.

Im fine with inexperienced employees still learning....but if you dont know just shut your mouth and ask someone who does...make **** up as you go and you will be ignorant forever.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:04 PM

At an indoor shooting range in Calgary-
Me: Can I take a look at that XCR in 223?

Guy behind the counter: what do you plan on using it for?(In a very inquisitive tone)

Me: fun(thinking to myself, none of your damn business, but coyotes and paper)

Guy behind the counter: These puppies have a real sweet trigger(it was 6-7 pounds and full of creep), you can let off 30 rounds in hurry!

Me: You must be good at mag changes, even with the 10 round pistol mags...

Guy behind the counter: I don't mess with those sh***y pistol mags, I pop the rivet. I only have one mag per gun that still holds 5 rounds. RATHER BE BE CARRIED BY SIX THAN JUDGED BY TWELVE!(In a very matter-of-fact tone, while about 4 other guys listen to this idiot)

Me: Well, you're a little more bold than I, good day sir.
( walk out the store)

Then about a month latter at WSS in Calgary-

They had a nice Uberti replica 1874 sharps cabine in the "fancy cabinet" and I asked to take a look at it.

Clerk: You know what this there young fella?!

Me: (I asked for the sharps by name when I asked to see it) An 1874 Sharps, just curious what make this one is and how well the carbine balances.

Clerk: ( goes on a long winded story about Billy Dixon and Adobe Walls and I was fairly impressed at a gun clerk at WSS that actually knew some firearm history, until he said...) Are you looking to hunt with it or just target shoot?

Me: Both

Clerk: Well I'd look for one of the bigger chamberings like 45-120. 45-70 is hardly enough for most animals.

Me: I beg to differ. I've sent quite a few hard cast 405gr boolits into bear, elk and moose and they didn't seem to complain. All but one dropped in their shadow and the one that didn't stumbled about 30 yards.

Clerk: You're playin a dangerous game goin after such big animals with such a small cartridge(insert double face-palm here)

Me: for the record, the 1874 was never originally chambered in 45-120, you can add that to your Adobe Walls story next time. Have a good day.
(Walk out)
Old 03-27-2013, 04:12 AM

Worst episode I have had was my own fault. I purchased a used browning bbr, and a couple of weeks later picked up a scope and hardware. Took them home and discovered the bases were incorrect, so headed back in to the shop with the whole kit and caboodle to see if I could get some help with it. Guy at the counter takes it back in after I explain the the bases are definitely the wrong ones as they are not even close to level when installed, he reinstalls them and then cranks the rear base screws down until it has jammed into the bolt and locked it up tight. He hands it back and tells me there is something completely wrong with my gun and he can't help me. I walk out and head to another store (small personal place)where we check the bases and discover that the ones I had been sold were for an A bolt not a BBR, new set of bases and all was well. Lesson learned sometimes worth paying a little more to deal with knowledgeable people.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:09 AM

I love these stories keep them coming... I love to hear all the BS spewed at achery counters as well... but in keeping in line with this thread I have heard so many doozies at the gun counter too.

I think part of it is these guys try to be cool and rednek as their way of sticking it to the man. I will add a few as well... but best is when i feed them some schtuff and then hear it repeated as gawds own truth a week later to another customer, who either believes it or gives the gun counter guy the horse laff.

Some people are so gullible on both sides of the counter.

Now that i am getting older and the odd gray hair is now showing up i can get away with it even more.... but also more mature so it is not as much fun either!....

I like to tel ones similar to this...

I was on way back from work when i was a forestry consultant coming down the alaska highway and there was a stalled truck on the side of the road and a guy in a suit, all spiffed up was there. we offered him a ride to FSJ and he jumped in but before he got in he grabbed his briefcase. As we go along we ask him his name and he ansers.. none of your business... we make some more small talk and ask who he works ffor and he answers... none of your business..

After a bit more we start getting more of the creepy vibes from this guy and, his is all whacked out... and starts acting really weird. We are in a single cab truck and i am beginning to wonder if this guy is a hit man or something just the way he is acting. (At that time there were quite a few unsolved deaths in FSJ with a single 30 calibre round...) we talk some more and now the creepy vibe is really going off and so we ask what was in the case.... he siad none of your f'n business...

I motion to my buddy to pull over I shove him out the door, grab the case and we drive off... we look at each other and wondering if we should call the police and decide to open the case....

he was right.... NONE OF YOUR F'n Business.....

HEHHEHEEEEHHH!
Old 03-27-2013, 09:15 AM

Auto parts counters are good too!....

Go and ask for muffler bearings for an 83 Lexus Infinity and watch them get all confused....when they can't find it on their computer...Then try to make up a story to cover their own ignorance..

Smartest answer so far ...."I am sorry sir you will have to go to a toyota dealership for them..."

I have not yet had one of the guys look at me and say there is no such thing as muffler bearings...
Old 03-27-2013, 09:24 AM

Ok one more and this one is a gun counter one...

I overheard a guy talking about how he never shoots from a hot barrell, he always brings many guns to the range and rotates them through as is a common practice for many people including myself...

I said why would you do that... all you have to do after each shot is use a computer duster can... turn it upside down insert straw into barrell and spray and it will instantly cool the barrell...as it lets out the cryogenic fluid... (I know the danger of hot/cold shock and metal fatigue)...

Two weeks later I overhear gun counter guy telling this to people as gospel...

Three weeks later at the range I saw guys doing it!...

SOOOOO...

Then I decided what the heck and I have an old .22 I use for gophers and I have a pretty good gopher ptch where you can actually get a hot barrell shooting gophers and decided to give it a try... When barrell get hot it tends to lose a bit of accuracy and thought WTF if I destroy the gun I am out $35. So i tried it and low and behold it worked... i may be damging the barrell i don't know but it works!...

Don't have guts to try on centerfire yet...
Old 03-27-2013, 09:25 AM

I new with the load I was shooting I was good out to 925. The elk was at 926 so when I pulled the trigger I shoved the rifle forward a foot to make sure I'd get penetration on the hit.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:33 AM

[QUOTE=nekred;1905742]I love these stories keep them coming... I love to hear all the BS spewed at achery counters as well... [QUOTE]

Quite a few years ago (late 80's?) my father had come up for a visit and we were hanging out at a sports shop called Northern Sportsman in Ft. Mac.
he spide a set of 280 Rem. dies in the bargain bin and for the price, he picked them up.
The guy at the counter, never meeting him before says " the 280's no good, 7mag's the best you should get one of those " The Old man grabbed my arm and squeezed a bit ust before I was going to give the counter guy an ear full.

The guys were shooting their compounds through the chronograph a while later and I sent a few heavy cedars out of my Mike Fedora long bow - it was quick for a long bow bow even with those arrows .
same guy says" nice bow, what bow do you hunt with "?
Don't think I went back in there after.
Cat
Old 03-27-2013, 09:42 AM

I know have have posted this here before....but not on this thread....

At the old WSS North location when my Father was still alive and worked there, Dad and I were chatting and a guy comes in looking for .300 Weatherby ammo....says he wants the 180gr Winchester Power-Points, we told him Winchester doesn't make factory ammo for the .300WBY.....he said I shoot them all the time and I hate the Weatherby stuff cause it costs too much.....we finally figured out he was using .300 Win Mag ammo in the .300WBY.

LC
Old 03-27-2013, 10:13 AM

I saw a guy BEHIND an archery counter in a small town do this with a new bow that come out that advertised 99% letoff... He drew the empty bow with a release and then very carefully pointed bow at floor LET GO OF THE RISER and the weight of the bow held it drawn... I saw this and before I could say Holy S he must have twiched and the bow fired and launch itself from his release and hit the ceiling.... I never saw a bow shoot itself before....! There was no visible damage and beck on the sale hook it went!... that shop is now out of business.

I saw a person in an archer counter tie a d-loop onto a recurve so a guy could shoot it with a release!....

I have seen so much wrong stuff at the paper tune rack it is funny:

Guys trying to tune arrows that are totally under or over spined but insist that they are the right arrows and they save $30 on ebay buy buying them.

Guys moving their rest all around when it is their torquing of the bow causing the issue but they are bound and determined it is a "bow" issue.

Guys who move paper tune rack to 18 yards and shoot through it... Your system is really out of whgack if it is giving a bad tear there... or they leave it where the tip of arrow is striking butt before arrow is completely through paper and adjust for that tear!...

When I see guys comparing releases to see whose trigger is the hairiest!...

TOO MUCH INSANITY!...

the one that really gets me is in an archery shop where you see someone pick up a bow and go to draw it and you automatically remind them not to dry fire it and they give you a dirty look and tell you that they already know that... I get tired of explaining that i don't know them form Adam and that I can't tell who has experience and knows this rule and who does not... that I am just cautious because many people who do not know dry fire the bow....

Now I see so many shops who cable tie their bows and have demo bows behind the counter so that they can be shot under supervision...and then people come in and complain because they cannot feel the draw cycle... I said why feel how it draws when it is only part of the story... come try the bow!...

What really gets me is when bow hunters see someone shooting an Olympic style recurve and are amazed at how accurate they are with such "archaic equipment" Not realising the riser on an Olympic style bow probably costs more than their complete setup.

I also have seen this when i was coaching an archer on olympic style recurve and a trad shooter comes over and tells them to anchor with their finger in corner of their mouth....and that they don't need all the fancy stuff on their bow (stabilizer, sight etc.)

Or when a trad shooter bugs me about using my "training wheels" i explain that they are not wheels they are eccentrics.... and at least mine are on the bow not just shooting it!...

People coming up with a string that has 4 strands intact wondering if it will get them through hunting season!... I usually answer yes if they use a rifle!...

Or they guy with a $3500 bow setup shooting the cheapest arrows he can find on the internet
Old 03-27-2013, 10:23 AM

One of the guys at the counter last nite had a call, cust gave him a part number to check out, good number, in stock, priced it. Then the guy asks him for the part number, reply was; "you just gave me the part number."
"no, I want the part number".
Was just like "Who's on First?' to listen to.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:12 PM

At a gun shop in Ont couple years ago looking for a pump,

Clerk: Can I help you?

Me: Yeah can I see that 870 Super mag.

Clerk: Yeah, I guess, but why don't you buy something reliable like this Stoeger P350.

Me: Are you on payroll? If you say yes, can I talk to your boss?

Fowl Life
Old 03-27-2013, 04:08 PM

Default Cant resist

I was holding out but cant take it any longer, gotta share this one. So I was at a gun counter (rhymes with Goal Snail Forts) in Calgary a couple weeks ago and laughed so hard I almost pee'd a little in the parking lot. I went into the store to help a buddy who just got his PAL pick up a .22 to shoot some gophers with me this spring and summer. My buddy wants to start hunting this fall so I suggested he scope the .22 to help with target acquisition and getting use too the general concepts of shooting with a scope.

This is where it all started, I was quickly corrected by the Customer service rep and was told it would be way better practice for my buddy to shoot open sight as he did till he was in his 20's. Please nobody get me wrong I learned with open sights as well but to prepare a new hunter who will be shooting a scoped 270 this fall, come on does it not just make sense to get 1000+ rounds through a scoped .22 for some practice. This is where I started to argue, and I was asked how much I shoot, LOL I replied 1000-2000 gophers a year on our ranch and surrounding ranchland. Plus a lot of rifle shooting as well. This is where the SH!T got deep, the rep told me he shot 10,000 gophers last year and the land owners gave him $1.00 per head or tail ($10,000), if this is true someone please tell me where I can go cause I just found my dream job LMAO. I asked my buddy if he seen any rubber boots anywhere cause it was getting pretty deep. It just went down hill from here, with 1/2" 5 shot groups at 500 yards and yadda yadda yadda! Quite the shooter, and salesman. If it wasn't such a great deal on the Savage Mark II we would have walked.

Again if anyone knows where I can get $1.00 per gopher head or tail please PM me as I'm looking for a career change.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:55 PM
Banned

^^^^ Have you tried Oz?.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:14 PM

I was at Rob's sports in Valleyview ordering a .257 Wby Ultramark. Another patron started talking to me which was fine, I'm a sociable character sometimes. I told him I was getting the .257 because I wanted a light flat shooting dear rifle that will double as a yodel dog eliminator. I was sure he'd come back with the .243 which is a very reasonable choice for the application but NO. He tells me that if I want a REALLY flat shooting rifle I should get a 25-06, or his personal favorite a 25 savage. Hmm. Glad we didn't start on moose guns. I might be trading my .300 Wby up to a 30-06.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:06 PM

Funny and scary npat the same time. Anonymous (bass pro). Counter clerk selling a guy a Benelli Vinci. Not a super Vinci, and telling him it was chambered for 3 1/2 inch shells. I watched,listened, and when the customer went over to the shell rack to grab some, I stopped him and set him straight. Walked back to the counter with the guy, he confronted the sales guy who maintained the gun was 3 1/2 inch. Finally got the guy to read the barrel. Customer walked out with no gun, as did I
Old 03-29-2013, 01:33 PM

I was chastised by a guy behind the gun counter at WSS at SEcommons for asking for a particular Remington magazine... looked at me like my head was on fire so I said, "clip, mag?" and he said, "Oooohhhh..... a clip, I thought you meant a magazine to read." As he walked off to where they hang the older gentleman next to me whispered, "you said it right." Yeah, I know.