Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-12-2011, 10:34 AM

Default Foothills / Mountain Mule Deer ?

Howdy Folks,

I am fairly inexperienced when it comes to hunting mule deer in the foothills and mountain management units. I hunted coulee bottoms and open country Mule Deer when I was in college. However, with two small children and a busy career I don't have time to make a trip out to the prairie areas to chase open country Muley's so I've been trying to connect on a buck in the more bushy mountainous areas that still have open seasons and are close to home. Can anyone provide some insight as to the type of terrain or habitat features that Mule deer prefer in this landscape.

I am just trying to get to know this animal better with regards to foothills and mountain habitats.

As always any help or tips are greatly appreciated.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:54 AM

Early fall they tend to be close to treeline (mulies) and that's your best chance at a decent buck. Once the snow hits they'll head to the bottoms with the whitetails. Then it's just luck. Try to find fresh tracks in snow, rattling, glass cuts, etc. Bush deer are tougher to find than farm deer, especially if you're looking for a good one! They browse more, opposed to having fields as a food source. This means they are likely to range more and be really tough to pattern.

Good luck!
Old 11-12-2011, 11:01 AM

Thanks, DonK,

That's a good start. I appreciate the help.

Cheers.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:58 PM

In many areas the mulies will stay high on the ridges right through the worst storms. My favorite spots were always what we call "hog's back ridges"; long wide fairly flat ridges. These usually have some areas of thick, heavy vegetation that the deer will use for thermal protection.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:37 AM

Thanks Pudle,

that really helps as well. I'll do some investigating next week. Regards,
Old 11-13-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillieSuit View Post
Thanks Pudle,

that really helps as well. I'll do some investigating next week. Regards,
Topo maps of the area you hunt can be a big help. Aerial photos are awesome, if you can find/afford them.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:30 PM

Default Mule

Which zone were you drawn for?
Old 11-13-2011, 12:34 PM
sheephunter

This time of year, you'll find many mountain mulies at or above treeline on the wind-blown winter range. The more snow, the higher they'll go in some areas. Don't overlook those high grass slopes later in the season. Pudel offers some solid advice too regarding hogsback ridges. If there is a wind-blown grass slope above it, all the better!

Last edited by sheephunter; 11-13-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Topo maps of the area you hunt can be a big help. Aerial photos are awesome, if you can find/afford them.
Google earth helps.

I 2nd hogs backs, and high wind swept meadows. Good luck, monster mountain Muleys are a thing of beauty.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:18 PM

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I wasn't drawn. I am just hunting on my general tag. Mostly pokin around in WMU 316 but might have a boo in the two 400 zones that are close by with a general season waiprous and burnt timber I think. Anyway I've zeroed in on spot that has a bunch of the required elements. I am planning to check it out tommorrow or later in the week depending on the weather.

Anyway thanks again for the info.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
In many areas the mulies will stay high on the ridges right through the worst storms. My favorite spots were always what we call "hog's back ridges"; long wide fairly flat ridges. These usually have some areas of thick, heavy vegetation that the deer will use for thermal protection.
Worked for me last week!

Old 11-14-2011, 12:34 PM

ABDiver, is that a GPS elevation track or a cross section of some sort? The scale difference between the distance and elevation makes it look like you were in the Alps! Though those ridges should be actually quite flat topped.

Congrats on the deer.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
ABDiver, is that a GPS elevation track or a cross section of some sort? The scale difference between the distance and elevation makes it look like you were in the Alps! Though those ridges should be actually quite flat topped.

Congrats on the deer.
It's a profile of me hiking in (gaining elevation following a ridge top) then I shoot the deer near the top. Hike out - thus the trip back down to the truck's elevation. Then hiking back in with the cart, and then hauling the deer out.

Total miles walked was only about 3.5. Total elevation gain was about 1100ft. (550ft each time in) Each trip was about 0.75 of a mile. Doesn't look like much on paper, but didn't feel that way actually doing it!