Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post
As the others have said, it would be good to find out why the turbo went I have a 2013 f150 with 436000kms and have never had any issues with the turbo.
i have a 2013 F150 eco boost with 230,000 km.
Replaced the speed sensor at 200,000 and that's all so far.
I accelerate slow and drive under speed limits with no sudden thrusts on the gas pedal.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:05 AM
Banned

There's something to be said about using good oil and regular oil changes!
Old 09-22-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
There's something to be said about using good oil and regular oil changes!
I do change the oil often and use Castro synthetic. 5000 km or so.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:37 AM

Default turbo

A high quality turbo design by a experienced diesel engine builder such as Cat or Cummins is much more important than the quality of the oil you use. However changing oil on modest milage basis also important to long turbo life. I never use synthetics in any of my trucks with turbos, consider it waste of good $$. A good quality oil filter much more important. I saw study where major trucking firm only changed oil filter every 10,000km, they found oil showed no wear metals until ~50,000 km.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
A high quality turbo design by a experienced diesel engine builder such as Cat or Cummins is much more important than the quality of the oil you use. However changing oil on modest milage basis also important to long turbo life. I never use synthetics in any of my trucks with turbos, consider it waste of good $$. A good quality oil filter much more important. I saw study where major trucking firm only changed oil filter every 10,000km, they found oil showed no wear metals until ~50,000 km.
Well....Cummins and Detroit's oil change interval according to thier own specs on highway tractors is now 100 000 kms...
Old 09-22-2019, 04:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
I do change the oil often and use Castro synthetic. 5000 km or so.
I see your problem, a lot of hype about synthetic oils. I have always used a good conventional oil and have never had any issues.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
I see your problem, a lot of hype about synthetic oils. I have always used a good conventional oil and have never had any issues.
Same here. Regular changes and not bagging the vehicle when it’s cold has more to do with premature wear than synthetic oil or not... imo
Old 10-10-2019, 06:53 AM

Turbos changed. Cost me $ 2500 in parts and I did it myself. Dealer wanted over $6000. Have a few pipes left over that I didn't change out. Not an easy job with no lift. A lot harder than than the guy's on YouTube show you. The exhaust bolts were miserable to remove. Almost stripped one bolt head out removing it but did get it out. Took about 12 hrs total time, would take a person that has done it before with a lift about 8 to 10 hrs.

Gonna trade the truck in when I have a chance and absolutely no turbo's for this guy Cause I have heard that the average is 100k to 150k for replacements on the F150, and at that price it's not worth having them. I love the power and performance but not worth the cost.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:28 AM
Banned

your labour is costing you $175.00/hour........seems high to me, but i don't take my vehicles to the garage unless absolutely forced to, so could be behind the times. i thought an eaarlier quote of $125.00/hr was too high, so did the repair myself.

is $175.00 the going rate now?

can't comment on your turbo problems, 'cause i've been driving a cummins and a duramax (diesels), and have had no issues.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Turbos changed. Cost me $ 2500 in parts and I did it myself. Dealer wanted over $6000. Have a few pipes left over that I didn't change out. Not an easy job with no lift. A lot harder than than the guy's on YouTube show you. The exhaust bolts were miserable to remove. Almost stripped one bolt head out removing it but did get it out. Took about 12 hrs total time, would take a person that has done it before with a lift about 8 to 10 hrs.

Gonna trade the truck in when I have a chance and absolutely no turbo's for this guy Cause I have heard that the average is 100k to 150k for replacements on the F150, and at that price it's not worth having them. I love the power and performance but not worth the cost.
Glad it worked out and you saved yourself some $. I decided to go with the
5.0L V8 when I bought my 2013 F150, it's been great so far.....
Old 10-10-2019, 03:16 PM

Thanks for the thread.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
your labour is costing you $175.00/hour........seems high to me, but i don't take my vehicles to the garage unless absolutely forced to, so could be behind the times. i thought an eaarlier quote of $125.00/hr was too high, so did the repair myself.

is $175.00 the going rate now?

can't comment on your turbo problems, 'cause i've been driving a cummins and a duramax (diesels), and have had no issues.
The dealer prices for parts were about double of what I paid for them. Thats why the labor cost seems high. Dealer quoted $ 1600 for each turbo, I got both for $ 1000 plus shipping and duty. I ordered from the states and paid duty and shipping costs. So it worked out that I paid about 1/2 cost for parts.

Would I do it again ? No ! Gonna trade it in and get a non turbo vehicle. Probably a GM. My son likes his so far. Will see in the spring.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:18 AM
Banned

thanks for the reply, but i wonder if you'll help me here..........how is it the labour cost seems higher because you would have had to pay double for the parts?

is labour cost @ 8.5 hours not pretty straight forward? not trying to be a dick here, just trying to understand.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:14 PM

Default turbos

We( Ford -Kamloops ) are installing Turbos all the time on 2.7lt and 3.5 lt Ford V6 engines ! Phazers and Timing chains etc too ! RJ
Old 10-12-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
thanks for the reply, but i wonder if you'll help me here..........how is it the labour cost seems higher because you would have had to pay double for the parts?

is labor cost @ 8.5 hours not pretty straight forward? not trying to be a dick here, just trying to understand.
I see what your saying. It's not adding up. They had on there quote 8.5 hrs, I think that they may have increased the labor rate because of working with 10 exhaust bolts on the turbos. If just one bolt were to break or strip it could add a couple hrs to remove it.
I just about striped one bolt head myself but lucky that it did come out. If not I would have had to weld a nut to it and try to get it out. With the heat and cool cycles they are miserable to remove as well as the location of a couple are not very easy to get at. They are were almost welded in place because of the exhaust heat. Your very limited on how long of a wrench you can use on them too so that made less force you could put on them. On one bolt you could only move the ratchet one click at a time. On another you had to alternate the wrench one tooth at a time. A very good Torx 47 is needed as well, lucky a buddy had a good snap-on one because a cheaper quality one would have striped.

It's not a nice job to do. The you tube video's make it look easy but it's not.

Old 10-12-2019, 08:53 AM
Banned

thank you