Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-14-2017, 02:55 PM
Banned

Not one store has it all these days. Sure it wasn't perfect but nobody was complaining when they brought in tons of Alliant powder at 35$/#.
Do you think other retailers prices will go down now?
Old 09-14-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Definitley not happy about people losing their jobs. But it was a glorified Walmart that catered to the outdoors. Walmart sucks too...
Some people shop at Walmart for a reason, often out of necessity. If you're happy about one less place to shop, good for you.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Some people shop at Walmart for a reason, often out of necessity. If you're happy about one less place to shop, good for you.
I guess my attitude stems from the gun counter experience there last week. I managed to not approach that counter for easily 5 years but they had what i wanted at the southside.

The dreaded Wholesalesports gun counter stories which have been going on since the biblical times it seems will always be legendary. Ill go see Phil and Dianne at P&D on Saturday and everything will be ok.

Last edited by 1899b; 09-14-2017 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:07 PM

Default WS

It would be missed if it closes down. I understand UFA also owns a chain of sporting goods stores in the US that does quite well financially.

I would (and do) rather spend my hunting dollars at WS than send it south to an American company like Bass Pro or Cabellas.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:14 PM

Anyone remember them at Barotto's and Frenchies? That was a long time ago. On the corner of 9 ave and 8 street in Inglewood.

Can't get on the website anymore...

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

LC
Old 09-14-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Just called Edmonton North...not true at all.
So we got ourselves a troll.

LC
Old 09-14-2017, 03:17 PM

I wonder how many of us are going to running to the store tomorrow to see what kind of deals there are. Tempting
Old 09-14-2017, 03:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
It would be missed if it closes down. I understand UFA also owns a chain of sporting goods stores in the US that does quite well financially.

I would (and do) rather spend my hunting dollars at WS than send it south to an American company like Bass Pro or Cabellas.
Buying those stores in the US and then installing all new computer systems and filling them with inventory was the start of the end for WS. Absolutely terrible management decisions from UFA the first few years they bought WS and it only got worse as the years went on.

I hate to see a Canadian Company go down, along with the loss of quite a few jobs. I left the company years ago when they had receivers step in, inventories were cut and most stores had to reduce staff by about 20-30%.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lund17 View Post
I wonder how many of us are going to running to the store tomorrow to see what kind of deals there are. Tempting
I see me being late for work tomorrow, but have a feeling will be for nothing
Old 09-14-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
Anyone remember them at Barotto's and Frenchies? That was a long time ago. On the corner of 9 ave and 8 street in Inglewood.
Yes I do. Bought a couple of rifles there long before they moved.
I always prefered the gun counter at Wholesale to basspro or cabelas.
I know some will dissagre however that is how I felt.
I also remember when I would go to Kmart or sears to look at rifles in Calgary.
Not many options anymore, however there are also many newer options.
Canadian tire, Bashaw,High river to go to before I am forced to go to Cabelas or Basspro.

MAC

Save time... see it my way
Old 09-14-2017, 03:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetreeman View Post
So I left a message on the 1-800 number and was called back within 20 minutes.

The person who called me said not to worry that all the stores were closed for a meeting today and I would be able to pick up my bow tomorrow when they are open during normal business hours.

When I asked what the meeting was in regards to, she just deflected my question by repeating "we will be open for business tomorrow, have a good day..."
As I mentioned in a previous post when I called a friend (a managers) direct line today he answered and told me not to worry.
Maybe they're down but not out?
Old 09-14-2017, 03:29 PM

They will be open tomorrow, until Dec 28th with the notice. So time to use all the giftcards.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:36 PM

If this is anything like when the Regina store closed, all the sales start small and eventually get up to 50% or more off by the time they close forever. Unfortunately most of the good stuff is gone long before prices get that good tho. Sad to see them gone, best selection out of any of the chain stores.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:36 PM

their site just went down
Old 09-14-2017, 03:38 PM

They are done. A copy of the plan is online and many of us have down loaded. Starts tomorrow.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:39 PM

The one thing I can say about WSS is they almost always had inventory on the item I was looking for in the store.

I can't tell you how many times I have gone to Cabelas to grab something and they were out of stock. Bass pro is better but Wholesale had it almost every time.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:42 PM

feel bad for the employees , I was laid off in June I know the feeling.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:42 PM

Just got the email. They are done!
Old 09-14-2017, 03:43 PM

Default Email Received at 3:30 Sept. 14

IMPORTANT WHOLESALE SPORTS ANNOUNCEMENT
September 14, 2017

It is with great sadness that Wholesale Sports Canada Ltd. ("Wholesale Sports") brings the following news to its loyal customers.

At 3:00 PM (MST) today, Wholesale Sports' parent company issued a news release announcing that Wholesale Sports is conducting an orderly wind down of it business operations.

Numerous external factors led to this decision; including an increasingly competitive environment, the continued shift to on-line purchases and an overall slowing of consumer discretionary spending as a whole, including the outdoor industry. As a result, it was decided that the orderly wind down of Wholesale Sports was required through a store wide liquidation sale event.

All Wholesale Sports stores will be closed for the remainder of the day this September 14th and the official liquidation sale event will begin at each of the 12 retail locations, starting at Wholesale Sports' regular store hours, on Friday, September 15th. The liquidation sale event will continue until all merchandise is sold at each retail store, but will end no later than December 28, 2017.

No new online purchases will be processed after 3:00 PM (MST) today, as the Wholesale Sports website will become a static webpage that will only offer customers information on the liquidation sale event. However, all current open on-line orders will be fulfilled by Wholesale Sports.

It is important to note that certain Wholesale Sports polices will be affected by this announcement and the liquidation sale event. After the announcement and during the liquidation sale event:
1. Various merchandise discounts will be announced throughout the process, watch the Wholesale Sports website for details.
2. All sales are final. No refunds or exchanges on all items purchased.
3. All Wholesale Sports gift cards can be used in store only until December 28, 2017. Any gift card balance remaining after December 28, 2017 shall have no cash value and be void for further use.
4. All Wholesale Sports Wild Card discounts will no longer be valid for use.
5. All manufacturer warrantees remain in effect. Customers should contact manufacturers directly with any issues.
Wholesale Sports thoroughly appreciates the loyalty from you, our Wholesale Sports customers and invites you to participate in our store liquidation sale event. We wish to sincerely thank you for your support and patronage over the years.

Sincerely,

The Wholesale Sports Team
Manage Profile | Unsubscribe | Forward to a Friend

Copyright © 2015 Wholesale Sports Outdoor Outfitters. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy

This email is being sent from Wholesale Sports Outdoor Outfitters.
25 Heritage Meadows Way SE, Calgary AB, T2H 0A7
Old 09-14-2017, 03:44 PM

Terrible news. Favorite shop in the city.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:46 PM

They are closing, if you were on their email list you got this message from them today:

IMPORTANT WHOLESALE SPORTS ANNOUNCEMENT
September 14, 2017

It is with great sadness that Wholesale Sports Canada Ltd. ("Wholesale Sports") brings the following news to its loyal customers.

At 3:00 PM (MST) today, Wholesale Sports' parent company issued a news release announcing that Wholesale Sports is conducting an orderly wind down of it business operations.

Numerous external factors led to this decision; including an increasingly competitive environment, the continued shift to on-line purchases and an overall slowing of consumer discretionary spending as a whole, including the outdoor industry. As a result, it was decided that the orderly wind down of Wholesale Sports was required through a store wide liquidation sale event.

All Wholesale Sports stores will be closed for the remainder of the day this September 14th and the official liquidation sale event will begin at each of the 12 retail locations, starting at Wholesale Sports' regular store hours, on Friday, September 15th. The liquidation sale event will continue until all merchandise is sold at each retail store, but will end no later than December 28, 2017.

No new online purchases will be processed after 3:00 PM (MST) today, as the Wholesale Sports website will become a static webpage that will only offer customers information on the liquidation sale event. However, all current open on-line orders will be fulfilled by Wholesale Sports.

It is important to note that certain Wholesale Sports polices will be affected by this announcement and the liquidation sale event. After the announcement and during the liquidation sale event:

Various merchandise discounts will be announced throughout the process, watch the Wholesale Sports website for details.
All sales are final. No refunds or exchanges on all items purchased.
All Wholesale Sports gift cards can be used in store only until December 28, 2017. Any gift card balance remaining after December 28, 2017 shall have no cash value and be void for further use.
All Wholesale Sports Wild Card discounts will no longer be valid for use.
All manufacturer warrantees remain in effect. Customers should contact manufacturers directly with any issues.
Wholesale Sports thoroughly appreciates the loyalty from you, our Wholesale Sports customers and invites you to participate in our store liquidation sale event. We wish to sincerely thank you for your support and patronage over the years.

Sincerely,

The Wholesale Sports Team
Old 09-14-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
Just got the email. They are done!
Hey, mine just came through now - 5 min. after yours. I think my e-mail server sucks

JK
Old 09-14-2017, 03:50 PM

I called. Got the outgoing message that they are having a liquidation 30% off
Old 09-14-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
As I mentioned in a previous post when I called a friend (a managers) direct line today he answered and told me not to worry.
Maybe they're down but not out?
Nope done...he likely couldn't tell you anything before it was officially announced.

LC
Old 09-14-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trogdortheburninator View Post
Chainwide closures, staff given notice, it's the end of an era. Apparently liquidation begins in the next few days.

Sad day for Albertans and all Western Canadians that bought their first piece of hunting or fishing gear here.
Heck of a scoop for a first time poster, must be a journalist...
Old 09-14-2017, 04:06 PM

Ufa and wholesale have both issued statements. It is an orderly wind down. UFA sent an announcement out early this morning but asked everyone to keep it quiet till they had a chance to talk to all staff. Sorry to see someone leaked. Hope no staff heard it here first.

I am really sorey to see them gone. Have been a client since they opened. To bad UFA couldn't find a buyer for them.

Last edited by Dean2; 09-14-2017 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyslinger View Post
WTF! now Calgary is just going to have two bass pros?
Canadian Tire at Southland and Mcleod has been my go to for guns and ammo long before the yankees came to town with their glamour and high prices.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:08 PM

Yuppers, its the craps for everyone.

The real sad news is that a few more will fall.

If the small business are struggling, one would think think the big guys are to.

Many companies are on their last legs as we haven't seen the worst of this yet.

The Government said over the last 8months now that the resection is over, what they didn't finish saying is that this is after all of Canada's assets are sold off.

Eastern Canada is in the tank, USA and many other countries.

Sad indeed

Don