Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-23-2017, 03:02 PM

Sorry, but this is what I have to say to all those who bought stuff to later find out that it is cheaper at Cabela's:

Old 09-23-2017, 04:08 PM

Lol. Yeah right...
I actually found a nice down jacket there for 260 less 15%. Didn't buy it , went home and found exactly the same one on under armour online store for $160 with free shipping...
Old 09-23-2017, 07:39 PM

Archery accessories are 30% off though. Hate going to them stores, always something to buy.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:18 PM

Default Jiffy augers

Today our trucks delivered pallets of jiffy augers the propane models to both WSS stores in Edmonton and sent some up to Grande Prairie. Interestingly I looked to see where they originated and they came out of Minnesota. I'm guessing all the WSS stores got these.

BW
Old 09-29-2017, 05:59 PM

The other problem with this is the survivors will have a rough selling season with people buying all this stuff. Others left will hurt as stock was ordered months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Today our trucks delivered pallets of jiffy augers the propane models to both WSS stores in Edmonton and sent some up to Grande Prairie. Interestingly I looked to see where they originated and they came out of Minnesota. I'm guessing all the WSS stores got these.

BW
Old 09-29-2017, 06:44 PM

T shirts that they used to ask 29.99 for are now 37.99 but with 20% off. That store can go away anytime now
Old 09-29-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:

BW
I'm sure they did and will be receiving orders of all sorts of inventory they ordered prepaid from suppliers months ago. They will also have to honor these purchasing contracts from all sorts of suppliers like Jiffy, who they probably ordered those augers from this past spring so they would have it for the coming ice fishing season. This would have all been done prior to UFA deciding to close Wholesale sports. They are closing and not going bankrupt so they still have to pay their bills for stuff they ordered in the previous months or in the case of some hard to source and import things like guns or ammo possibly years..

Your trucks will probably be delivering stuff to Wholesale for the next few months until all the stuff they have ordered from various suppliers in the past eventually makes it's way across the border. They can't just cancel these contracts or they would get sued.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:

BW
I'm sure they did and will be receiving orders of all sorts of inventory they ordered prepaid from suppliers months ago. They will also have to honor these purchasing contracts from all sorts of suppliers like Jiffy, who they probably ordered those augers from this past spring so they would have it for the coming ice fishing season. This would have all been done prior to UFA deciding to close Wholesale sports. They are closing and not going bankrupt so they still have to pay their bills for stuff they ordered in the previous months or in the case of some hard to source and import things like guns or ammo possibly years..

Your trucks will probably be delivering stuff to Wholesale for the next few months until all the stuff they have ordered from various suppliers in the past eventually makes it's way across the border. They can't just cancel these contracts or they would get sued.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post

You don't seriously think they decided to close 2 weeks ago....

This was in the books for quite some time. Or should I say quiet some time.

Up the price offer a discount count the sheep coming through the door and show record profits while claiming huge losses at tax time with minimal staff. This is how the rich become super rich.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-29-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
You don't seriously think they decided to close 2 weeks ago....

This was in the books for quite some time. Or should I say quiet some time.

Up the price offer a discount count the sheep coming through the door and show record profits while claiming huge losses at tax time with minimal staff. This is how the rich become super rich.
Of course it was a planned closing but they had to keep the store running and stocked with most stuff until they actually called a closing date or they might as well quit ordering stuff 2 years ago. Corporate shutdowns that are not in foreclosure plan exit exit strategies months or even years in advance of the actual announcement. It allows them to market a closeout scheme, maximize whatever profits they can squeeze out before they turn out the lights. Does that make them evil? They're not doing anything illegal as far as I can tell. Do you think Zellers, The Bay, Eatons, K-mart, Target and hundreds of others over they years didn't do exactly what Wholesale is doing by stocking up on inventory to unload during their closeout 'sales'. It's a standard marketing strategy when putting these companies out to pasture.

At least they haven't asked for government bailouts.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Of course it was a planned closing but they had to keep the store running and stocked with most stuff until they actually called a closing date or they might as well quit ordering stuff 2 years ago. Corporate shutdowns that are not in foreclosure plan exit exit strategies months or even years in advance of the actual announcement. It allows them to market a closeout scheme, maximize whatever profits they can squeeze out before they turn out the lights. Does that make them evil? They're not doing anything illegal as far as I can tell. Do you think Zellers, The Bay, Eatons, K-mart, Target and hundreds of others over they years didn't do exactly what Wholesale is doing by stocking up on inventory to unload during their closeout 'sales'. It's a standard marketing strategy when putting these companies out to pasture.

At least they haven't asked for government bailouts.
I never said it was illegal, sorry if I worded it to sound that way somehow.
For the tiny bit of product they carried that I use (salt water fishing) I am really going to miss them. Now I just have to look online. I will sure miss the 30% off sales in Prince George with my UFA Wildcard. And the 50% off sale on fishfinders, I loved that one day sale.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-29-2017, 11:15 PM

Just keep in mind that this isn't a bankruptcy sale where they can't get new inventory from suppliers and have to liquidate what they have on hands. They are running "Going out of business" sale and are free to get as much inventory as they want. As long as they are paying for it... I wouldn't be surprise if by December 28 they will decide to extend the sale for another few months - they are making money now left and right!
There are few stores in Edmonton that were running same type of "sale" for few years....
Old 09-29-2017, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Just keep in mind that this isn't a bankruptcy sale where they can't get new inventory from suppliers and have to liquidate what they have on hands. They are running "Going out of business" sale and are free to get as much inventory as they want. As long as they are paying for it... I wouldn't be surprise if by December 28 they will decide to extend the sale for another few months - they are making money now left and right!
There are few stores in Edmonton that were running same type of "sale" for few years....
Did you watch that stupid movie Zohan?
Going out of business was the name of the store Lol!

Old 09-30-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
You're probably right in the extension. I wouldn't be surprised if they keep one store active out of the bunch and offer an online service to supplement their business.

BW
Old 09-30-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
T shirts that they used to ask 29.99 for are now 37.99 but with 20% off. That store can go away anytime now

I was looking at a cz 455 a week before the sale and it was $550ish. 'Blowout sale' started and it went up to $700 @5% off.
See ya later Alligator!
Old 09-30-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosejerky View Post

I was looking at a cz 455 a week before the sale and it was $550ish. 'Blowout sale' started and it went up to $700 @5% off.
See ya later Alligator!

Cabela's Canada has that rifle listed at $749, you should have bought it when it was $550!

http://www.cabelas.ca/search?q=cz+455
Old 09-30-2017, 08:34 AM

Bought Winchester 30-06 brass at WSS for $32 a bag. Did I get ripped off?

-Billy Molls
Old 09-30-2017, 08:37 AM
Banned

Some would say if you paid anything for Winchester brass, you got ripped off.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Some would say if you paid anything for Winchester brass, you got ripped off.
Oh? Do explain yourself.

-Billy Molls
Old 09-30-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
My understanding from staff is that store management is not setting the prices. The liquidator is doing that. The warehouse is still operational and still accepting deliveries of new stock. Product that was ordered prior to their decision to shut down is still on the way but no new product may be ordered.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:14 AM

Maybe we will soon see new signage and letterhead announcing
LIQUIDATION SPORTS.

(The jokes will be (almost?) too easy to bother with.)

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:40 AM

Looks like all the WSS butt hurt accumulated over the years is going to be strong right to the bitter end.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:01 PM
Banned

Default My guess

Not sure about butt hurt, but don't imagine the staff will experience a bum rush.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post
It was only a matter of time. First Cabelas, then a second Cabelas and now Bass pro coming in May to the new outlet mall. Competition is good if you're a major player.
are they really coming to the new mall?
Old 09-30-2017, 05:08 PM

I have no desire to step into any WSS even to save a few bucks.....
Old 09-30-2017, 09:40 PM

Am I one of the few that doesn't think local prices will go up much, if at all? And if they do it would be because of normal increases and the whole "$15h minimum wage hike"

eCommerce has done wonders for keeping regional prices low regardless of new businesses coming and going. It's very rare I need something right here and now, I always have lots of everything I need and keep a supply on rotation, first in first out so the ability to order everything from bullets, to powder to loaded ammo to the gun that shoots it and the clothes that I wear doing it all from the comfort of my toilet seat is a HUGE influence. And if it takes a few days to arrive at the savings of sometimes 30% or more, it's completely worth it. I'm frugal, and will not pay substantially more to buy local. And the thing is, I'm not alone. A LOT of people buy on line. There are businesses all over the country that have remarkable prices, and offer either extremely cheap if not free shipping. Both Cabelas and Basspro are national, and their prices are the same across the country. They wont be jacking their prices up because a small chain like WSS packed 'er in. They rarely had better prices anyways. The smaller shops have their prices fairly dialed in and have always been good about price matching for the most part. If the price is close and I feel like leaving the house and driving into the city I'll go buy local and working shift work I dont mind doing that on a nice late Tuesday morning while everyone is at work, and if I dont, especially in the winter months and the big black Friday and boxing day online/instore sales are on, I'll do all my shopping online because I as a general rule dislike people and crowds and winter and busy parking lots full of gawkers, kids and noise.

I'm really having a hard time seeing a downside here especially after what I wrote earlier in this thread. The world is not ending now that its only the evil Bassbelas Umbrella Omni Consumer Products Corp and prices are not going to go up much if at all. With the internet shopping the way it is, its FAR too competitive, they'll just stay where they are.

Sure if you like roaming the isles for hours and looking at the same stuff as last time to each their own. There are those folks out there that; much like the old folks that meet at McDonalds every morning for 4 hours, enjoy heading down to the LGS and B'Sing with the counter staff and spin yarns about their hunting stories and latest developments in fly tying, but WSS was not that place, at least not for me, in Calgary. Proline, sure, I have a lot of respect for that store, but WSS ****ed off far too many people and had horrific counter staff time and time again. Id rather drive to Caroline Supply or Bashaw than WSS.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
You keep bringing this up - you understand this is an illegal sales practice, right? Forzani group was caught and fined millions quite a few years ago for what you're insinuating WSS is doing. It'd be nice to see some proof.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post
You keep bringing this up - you understand this is an illegal sales practice, right? Forzani group was caught and fined millions quite a few years ago for what you're insinuating WSS is doing. It'd be nice to see some proof.
WSS is no longer in charge of pricing. The liquidator is setting prices based on % off MSRP with some being up to 30% but most stuff 5 or 10% off. There are too many items to separate the ones that were already below MSRP or discounted.

eg. There was a customer set to buy a sale item at 35% below retail on a sale item when the store was closed mid day and the customer was asked to leave.

When customer returned the liquidation price on the item was 5% off MSRP.

Last time I was in I wanted to buy ammo but I thought I could do better. I stopped at Canadian Tire on Southland drive. They did not have all that I wanted and the stuff I did want was higher price than WSS.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:58 AM

I was in Grande Prairie today and had some time to spare, so I dropped by the Wholesale Sports.

First thing is it is now up to 40% off, rather than 30%

Second, I could actually buy a yellow bucktail (fly tying) that I could not find anywhere (except online) for their regular price of $8.99 plus 20% off. The $8.99 is the price they had their bucktails priced at since forever. I have one on backorder at Cabela's since... if only I could remember. I took one and went to explore.

Third, I took a look at the scopes since I am looking for one. In particular, I was looking at Leupold VX2 scopes.

The ones I looked at were $20 cheaper at the "regular" price than what they are listed at Cabela's today. Plus %15 off.

I also grabbed some sling swivels on the way to the gun/optics counter that were also priced cheaper than at Cabela's before the discount.

I stood at the gun counter for a few minutes and no one came to ask what it is I was standing there for (I definitely looked like I was expecting the question). No one showed up for the few minutes I was there, so I put the swivels back, as well as the bucktail and head for the exit. I was the only one who came out empty-handed from what I have seen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2096.jpg (99.5 KB, 410 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2097.jpg (63.3 KB, 410 views)
Old 10-10-2017, 09:05 PM

Default Thanks Wholesale guys

Went into the Calgary Wholesale on the liquidation's 6th day, so the store wasn't crazy busy. Like others here I found the pricing to be a disappointment, so only got a few accessories and some bullets.

Regardless, I took the time to thank two of the gun counter staff who had provided great service and advice over the years - going back to the Russells days on McLeod Trail.

As an aside wouldn't Canada be a better place if high school graduation was conditional upon young people taking a part-time retail job for a couple months?

That'd learn them what disrespect feels like...and make considerate shoppers out of many.