Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-16-2017, 10:13 AM

Question Mech vs fixed

During a recent discussion, I want to get a feeler or opinion on a shot on a buck I had made. The shot was around 40yrds, downwards. I shoot 70lbs. I was shooting a mechanical broadhead.

My question is, mech vs fixed. Would it have made a difference??
This pic was taken about 6 weeks afterwards.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:17 AM
Banned

if that was the exit side then you missed the vitals probably a hair another direction you would have got lungs or spine.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:23 AM

No would not make any difference, solid shoulder hit. Regardless from shooting mech or fixed you have to avoid bigbone (shoulder is still big bone, ribs are not) with an arrow...the ODD time you get lucky but that's the exception not a rule.

Just an example not sure if this was the case, but either way you need to be hitting down a few more inches. If the shot was downward from elevation and you range 40 yards (for example)...that's linear direct distance not taking into account the angle, likely off by 5 yards...35 yards would have been the ticket.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 05-16-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
No would not make any difference, solid shoulder hit. Regardless from shooting mech or fixed you have to avoid bigbone (shoulder is still big bone, ribs are not) with an arrow...the ODD time you get lucky but that's the exception not a rule.

Just an example not sure if this was the case, but either way you need to be hitting down a few more inches. If the shot was downward from elevation and you range 40 yards (for example)...that's linear direct distance not taking into account the angle, likely off by 5 yards...35 yards would have been the ticket.

LC
I figured I had shoulder blade
Lefty do you have much experience with those range finders with the "angle" compensation?? With what your saying in regards to the angle that 5yrds diff was the downfall to the shot.

Im still what I would consider new to archery (coming up on season 4) Always learning stuff lol. Do you have a recommended book/website ect I could check out in regards to shooting angles and that type of good stuff??
Thanks for the reply LC
Old 05-16-2017, 01:50 PM

Depends if that is entrance or exit. If that's exit, it was too high and most likely just over the spine (muscle) or possibly just under it (top lung with no major blood vessels hit). Wouldn't matter.

If that is entrance with no pass through, you caught the shoulder blade. No one can say for certain if a fixed would have done better, but popular theory holds that it may have, and I tend to agree.

Nice buck, good to see he made it.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:55 PM

That is entrance I am guessing.

Generally, shooting downhill/uphill I take off 5-10% depending on the angle. Many rangefinders do not compensate for angle and the ones that do seem to do it well. The shot looks to be in the upper 3rd which should never be a point of aim, always strive for lower 1/3-1/2 as that's the sweet spot with the largest kill and chance at success.

I do my best to avoid shoulder at all costs... regardless of bow speed/ IBO /poundage or broadhead choice.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 05-16-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
That is entrance I am guessing.

Generally, shooting downhill/uphill I take off 5-10% depending on the angle. Many rangefinders do not compensate for angle and the ones that do seem to do it well. The shot looks to be in the upper 3rd which should never be a point of aim, always strive for lower 1/3-1/2 as that's the sweet spot with the largest kill and chance at success.

I do my best to avoid shoulder at all costs... regardless of bow speed/ IBO /poundage or broadhead choice.

LC
I did feel the shot was good, Looked good from where I was. After not finding him until a few days later on the hoof, it made sense not finding him the first 2 days in the area. Good thing is, hes still alive and will be bigger this year
Old 05-19-2017, 08:22 AM

I think a GK would have faired better giving a pass. Shot placement not good but I believe with a solid 2 blade he would be harvested with your setup and that hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
I think a GK would have faired better giving a pass. Shot placement not good but I believe with a solid 2 blade he would be harvested with your setup and that hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it was a two blade rage. Too many variables we don't know. One of the most overlooked, proper bow tune...an arrow flying true with enough momentum can do amazing things. A porpoising or tailing/kicking arrow can glance and deflect in the same situation.

LC
Old 05-28-2017, 07:04 AM

I prefer the fixed blades but in your case I don't think it would have made a difference. Shot was obviously too far forward. The shoulder blade is pretty tough stuff to get an arrow through even if it was to penetrate probably would not have gone deep enough. The saving grace is that he lives another day and you get another chance at him.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:34 AM

I'm switching to grim reapers this season from strykers. I like the strykers but there was not much of a blood trail even with a pass through. When I first purchased my Nikon pro staff 7i I had to be sure of the angle compensation. So what I did was set up my treestand and target in a mock scenario for hunting at different distances. It turns out the compensation works well on that one. Not saying that was the reason for your unfortunate shot but it sure is nice to know instead of trusting the manufacturers word. Hope you find him again in the upcoming season
Old 05-28-2017, 07:59 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Mechanical or fixed...a bad arrow placement happens and that is the end result.
Practice shooting from your stand at a target, set your deer target out at various ranges, climb in your stand and shoot, there is no better way to get better than this. Do it enough and soon everything becomes second nature.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...