Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-26-2017, 03:33 PM

Default First Time Fly Fishing

I went for my first attempt at fly fishing this past weekend to Dewitt Pond and had a blast. I took my kids with me, who were spin casting, catching weeds, and loving every minute. I took my fly rod to try some casting on real water. I did not expect to catch anything, i just wanted to put some line on the water for the very first time. A short while into out trip, my one kid complains about the bugs flying around him and asks to switch spots, which I do. At first I don't notice any bugs but shortly after I get swarmed. I think to myself I may have to move spots but stop and say to myself 'hey there are bugs, i should switch to a dry fly' and I do. While switching out flies my kids start yelling about some jumping fish. I look and sure enough 2 jump less than 3' from shore. I put my dry 2' from shore and not 2 minutes later a fish takes the fly. I was so surprised that I was not able to set the hook in time. I put the fly down in roughly the same spot and have 2 more takes in less than 5 minutes. It was so exciting, I felt like I was the same age as my kids. No fish were caught but we all had a blast. I can't wait to get out there again.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:49 PM

Let the fun begin

Old 04-27-2017, 10:30 AM

No better feeling than pulling one in on the fly rod.
When you need to replenish your fly supply I'd recommend Icky Fly Works, way cheaper than Cabelas/Wholesale and ships quick.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:44 AM

Great Yoda meme.. Truth.

Don't hesitate to go into the local fly shops either.. Fish tales is closest to me, and all of the staff there are great, including the owners. They will help with sage advice and good flies to try out.

Troutfitters downtown, and iron bow up north are also excellent shops to try.

Tight lines!
Old 04-27-2017, 11:08 AM

Do not get twisted off on Fly Fishing.
Damned expensive.
Better of taking up jet boat racing.

Don
Old 04-27-2017, 11:32 AM

When I first started on the fly, I can't tell you how many times I'd swat at the bugs coming off the water flying around me. Took me a while to remember that they're kinda important!
Old 04-27-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer97 View Post
No better feeling than pulling one in on the fly rod.
When you need to replenish your fly supply I'd recommend Icky Fly Works, way cheaper than Cabelas/Wholesale and ships quick.
I second that. Icky Fly Works is the place to go. They often throw in a few bonus flies too.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:01 PM

Damn, sounds like a pretty lucky first time. I think I went 20 times on the bow before even getting a take, in a spot that I could clearly see rising trout.

Great lesson to be learned from your situation, and this goes for lakes and streams........you don't need to be in the middle/deep part of the water body to catch fish. Most of the fish are a lot closer to the shore than you think.

Congrats! Welcome to the addiction and long winters dreaming about rising trout.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:17 PM

Not sure how you were setting the hook but little fish are a delicate hook set. Don't use the rod but just a little hook set by stripping line and then when it's set you can play the fish with your rod. It's a hard habit to change a spin caster hook set. Hope you can land one next time. Awesome job anyways.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:40 PM

Yeah good advice! Also, say "got'cha" to yourself before you set the hook! You need that little hesitation when dry fly fishing! You'll get used to the timing with more exp.

P

Quote:
Originally Posted by lds View Post
Not sure how you were setting the hook but little fish are a delicate hook set. Don't use the rod but just a little hook set by stripping line and then when it's set you can play the fish with your rod. It's a hard habit to change a spin caster hook set. Hope you can land one next time. Awesome job anyways.

-Confucius
Old 04-28-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianEh View Post
Great Yoda meme.. Truth.

Don't hesitate to go into the local fly shops either.. Fish tales is closest to me, and all of the staff there are great, including the owners. They will help with sage advice and good flies to try out.

Troutfitters downtown, and iron bow up north are also excellent shops to try.

Tight lines!

The Fishing Hole is right near me, and they have been a great bunch of guys to go an chat with. I'm sure I'll be spending a lot of time in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Do not get twisted off on Fly Fishing.
Damned expensive.
Better of taking up jet boat racing.

Don
I'd say the Trout Highway book you sold me a little bit ago laid the ground work, and this past weekend confirmed it, I'm 'hooked' on fly fishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helgs28 View Post
I second that. Icky Fly Works is the place to go. They often throw in a few bonus flies too.
I was actually using a fly from Icky Fly Works. They seem like a great fly vendor.

Quote:
That is a great idea to set the hook by stripping. I had no real chance to hook the fish anyway, my leader was coiled like a slinky. I had not picked up a leader straightener yet (got one now), so when i did try to set the hook I had to get through the 9' leader that was coiled to 3' first.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Don't use the rod but just a little hook set by stripping line and then when it's set you can play the fish with your rod.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
Also, say "got'cha" to yourself before you set the hook! You need that little hesitation when dry fly fishing!
I put these 2 bits of advice to good use yesterday. I was out at Dewitt's Pond again (great place to practice skills) for an hour and caught 5 fish, all a dry fly. I missed at least 10, when I tried to set with the rod or did not say 'got'cha' first. Thanks fellas.

My cast is still sloppy and I slap the fly down too hard, more often than I'd like, but yesterday was a big improvement over last week. Every once in a while when I get the timing down and the fly lands with barely a ripple on the water, it feel like magic....
Old 05-02-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigJ View Post
Every once in a while when I get the timing down and the fly lands with barely a ripple on the water, it feel like magic....
It does. And even after about 10 years of fly fishing, the magic is still there for me, you think less about it, it just happen more offen and becomes more instinctive.
Sounds like you have a head start, great beginning!
Old 05-02-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky View Post
It does. And even after about 10 years of fly fishing, the magic is still there for me, you think less about it, it just happen more offen and becomes more instinctive.
Sounds like you have a head start, great beginning!
My best catch yesterday was on of those magic casts. Almost as soon as the fly landed a rainbow took it and the fight was on.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:49 AM

Can I fish from my kayak or is it strictly from shore?
Might go toss a fly after work if it stays nice.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:02 AM

That's really impressive! A lot of people who start fly fishing don't even get takes let alone actually catch fish, you seem to be a natural at this. Keep it up.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStillie58 View Post
Can I fish from my kayak or is it strictly from shore?
Might go toss a fly after work if it stays nice.
It is a pretty small pond. I don't think it would be worth floating the water, but I am new to this so i'm not sure. Everyone I have seen out there fishes from shore.

Here is a video of the pond shot from a drone (not my video): https://youtu.be/OJv_E1xVzGs

Here is a video I took while fishing there on May 5: https://youtu.be/ZVoBm_DXRN0
Old 05-23-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix_84 View Post
That's really impressive! A lot of people who start fly fishing don't even get takes let alone actually catch fish, you seem to be a natural at this. Keep it up.
Thanks Fenix. I have caught 10 rainbows so far this year. All at Dewitt. I counting down the days until the streams open up to try my hand there...
Old 05-26-2017, 01:54 PM

Default Try Sibbald Mountain Pond

Try also Sibbald Mountain Pond on Sibbald flats Road, highway off Highway 1, in foothills en route to Highway 40 in Kananaskis.

Stocked well with small rainbows and great place for kids and budding fly fishermen.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:58 AM

Going to attempt fly-fishing for the first time in Jasper next week. Any recommendations on where to go? And perhaps any tips or pointers on what set up would be best?
Old 05-27-2017, 07:47 AM

The two that I'm familiar with are Beaver and Maligne lakes. It's been awhile since I was out there but a Doc Sprately or other baitfish imitations worked well. Recommend renting a boat for Maligne.

Good luck.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:38 PM

Thanks! Hoping to get some much needed practice at least.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfishchrism46 View Post
Try also Sibbald Mountain Pond on Sibbald flats Road, highway off Highway 1, in foothills en route to Highway 40 in Kananaskis.

Stocked well with small rainbows and great place for kids and budding fly fishermen.
Thanks. I had forgotten the pond had fish.