Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-23-2017, 05:03 PM
Banned

Default My all time favourite rimfire rifle.

I do have a few rimfires, a CZ HB, a Henry lever, a Rem 597, a Savage 17 HMR. I had a few others that have come and gone, Marlin, Cooey, Mossberg, etc. None have ever pleased me as my old Savage 6D Deluxe semi-auto. This was my wife's grandmother's gun. It is in pristine condition, even though I've been told that back in the day, it put food on the table during hard times. Elizabeth (grandmother) was actually a foreman (lady) in a firearm and/or ammunition factory during WWII somewhere in Ontario. Besides the nostalgia, this gun just works. No matter what brand of ammo I feed it, it simply accepts it and doesn't jam, ever. Most modern semi-auto's cannot claim that. It's deadly accurate with it's long barrel. It wears open sights and I don't wish to scope it. The receiver is dovetail grooved. The charging handle can be pulled out for semi-auto, or pushed in for single shot. The bolt will actually pause for the trigger to be released before it goes back to battery. A real old school performer, does anyone else have one of these?

Why am I not posting pictures of it? Well, it lives in my truck, that's why.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:27 PM
Banned

Default Henry Who?

Those old Savages are great old rifles. Seems they can live a hard life and still function as they should. In your case maybe sentimental attachment, makes you shoot it even better.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Those old Savages are great old rifles. Seems they can live a hard life and still function as they should. In your case maybe sentimental attachment, makes you shoot it even better.
Back when Elizabeth was still alive, we played Euchre. I always wanted to be her partner because she had an incredible memory for what cards had been played. As her partner, she'd kick my shins under the table for laying the wrong card. Yeah, those are fond memories and her rifle is super dear to me. I don't think that I would part with it for any amount. The rifle just shoots straight on it's own merrit though.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:44 PM
Banned

I'm lucky enough to have two rifles with that kind of sentimental value I have my Grandfathers old Model 1917 30-06 as well as my Grandmothers Mossberg 151K. I've traced the 1917 to November of 1918 build date and as close as I could come to dating the Mossberg was sometime in late 1951 to early 1952 as they were only made for about 6 months.

The 1917 is a shooter but it has been sporterized. The Mossberg remains stock but needs some work. The wood isn't bad but the metal needs some TLC for sure.

I love these old memories and hearing the stories about them and how they've been passed down.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:05 PM

I am lucky enough to have about 30 rifles and shotguns that were owned and shot by my parents and Grandparents as well as a very special 22 match rifle that was owned by a childhood hero !
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 04-23-2017 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:09 PM
Banned

I have a Savage model 3C bolt action single shot, about 26 inch barrel and includes peep sites and buck sites, the rifle was built around 1940

My father purchased the rifle from the RCAF when he was about to discharged from the RCAF at the end of WWII , the air bases had rifles available to enlisted men that could be signed out for personally use , target shooting ,small game hunting etc,
At the conclusion of WWII these weapons were made available to purchase by enlisted men, I believe dad told me he had paid the Receiver General of Canada $4.50 Can for the Savage .22 , I also have the Original Registration Certificate for the Savage .22 , from that time era, because all civilian firearms had to be registered by law , during wartime .
It is incredibly accurate and in very good condition, but not for sale

Last edited by elkdump; 04-23-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:33 PM

I'm test driving a Savage Mark II F model today.

They are classed as a sporster unit in the low budget category, but they seem too perform ok with the frugal button push barrel, and work with just about every manufactured cartrage out there.

This is my target and gopher getter set-up as I range every thing as 2" white rabbits. Ha.

Zero at 50 yards, so 25 is +1 1/2" high. 100 yards is -7" low, 150 yards is -15" low ish with solid lead 40gr.

The chair/ stick in hand gets it out there.

2" groups give or take at 100 yards.

I liked my Anschutz single shot, but it is time to see what the next bean launcher for out doors use can do.

The Savage Acc U Trigger is silky smooth, $200 ish of frugal fun. 4 1/2 lbs, 20" barrel.

Pretty happy with this test rifle so far, but only this will tell.

Lots of paper today too judge range as I gear up for our farm gopher culling project.

Don
Old 04-23-2017, 09:36 PM

I like my weather by mark xxll it was bought new in the early 70's and made in Japan. It is a single shot or a semi auto depending on which way you flip the lever, and it is extremely accurate.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:37 PM

as much as I love my anschutz, my favorite is my Winchester 67 22lr. The 67 was dirt cheap, super light, and shoots amazing with the open sights, even with the trigger mounted on a pin that goes through the stock. Most of my rimfires shoot well, but I think the simplicity of the 67 is what I enjoy. We have a few firearms that are now passed on to the fourth generations, as both my grandfather and grandmother hunted big game. If a person does not understand the history they hold in their hands, they usually don't have an understanding of things at a higher level.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:32 PM

My grandfather had a stevens that had a nice long barrel. Single shot bolt action. Most accurate 22 I have ever shot. Unfortunately was passed onto an older cousin of mine.

My current Browning BL-22 grade II, is probably my favorite gun let alone favorite rimfire.

Dead accurate, smooth action, and light. Love taking it out into the bush.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:39 PM
Banned

Cooey 22 I bought at Zellers for $16 in 1971. That was my first upgrade from a worn out pellet gun.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:10 AM

Yours must have been on sale.
Cooey at Huntington Hills Zellers in '71 was $59.
Odd why I remember that, ha.

TBark
Old 04-24-2017, 05:36 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Even truck rifles like to be on the forum as pin up girls!

Pics please.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-24-2017, 07:00 AM

Agree with photos as it assist in a awesome thread.

The 22 rim fire is on fun cartrage as it allows us too practic our skills.

Plinking paper, iron silhouettes, bench shooting, pron, sitting or standing.
Lite verman if one chooses.

I'll post a few more write up's on a few more 22's in days too come since my long time friend has allowed me the keys to his "test drive" show room of lots. Ha.

Practical, value, fun factor, getting started costs on budget, and other idea that and ways too use them out doors.

Today we are adding a few 8" suspended metal gongs so we can set them up out west at random ranges.

Then with "no" range finder the shooter needs too range the 10 gongs by eye sight only too see how many times they can ring the Bell.

25 too 200 yards as it gets the eyes up to speed on natural mind ranging for those that choose that is.

Koo-doos once again too a awesome thread of good times.

Don
Old 04-24-2017, 12:34 PM

My friend lent me his 22 caliber mill-dot scope too try out.

Mill-Dot for elivaton and Windy gopher days on the Prairie.

And it has quick focus feturer built in.

Time too make the 8" ringing disks today.

Don
Old 04-24-2017, 12:48 PM

Great story about the Savage gitrdun!

Personally....I'm a bit at odds when it comes to guns/nostalgia. I come from a small family, and as elders have passed on...a few guns I never new existed trickled down to me. My owns kids have a passing interest in guns/shooting..so I typically keep them and gauge my interest in keeping..then ultimately consider selling. I'm talking about guns who's original owners sometimes passed before my kids were even born. Struggling with the idea of selling a couple as I sit here typing this, but may hold onto them. Another family member (wife's side) just asked me to sell her late husband's Ithaca 37 and on hearing this, her adult kids were quite offended...but they're not licensed either. I may end-up buying the silly thing, and hold onto it until they can buy it back once licensed themselves. Funny how being the only licensed shooter/hunter in the entire family puts you in these sorts of situations.

As for rimfire guns that put a smile on your face~for me, it would be the first firearm I ever bought...about 27 or so years ago~An Anschutz 1450 in .22LR. The number of outings with that rifle, the number of shots through it...impossible to guess. These days, I reach for the CZ or BRNO 2E most but that Anschutz holds a special place in my heart. Clunky/unrefined/small by today's Anschutz standards...but that hardly matters to me. I'm actually contemplating (for the first time) buying a modern Anschutz rifle, possibly a 64 action. I think with time, "better" beats "more" rifles if you can't afford to do both.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I am lucky enough to have about 30 rifles and shotguns that were owned and shot by my parents and Grandparents as well as a very special 22 match rifle that was owned by a childhood hero !
Cat
Nice to have those kind of memories just looking around the gun room, your luckey
Old 04-24-2017, 09:01 PM

I wish I had my dad's .22. My mom got flustered when the registry came in and made my dad give it up to my cousin who had got his FAC (at the time). Never have inquired with my cousin if he still has that gun.

I did however stumble into a 22 that I quite enjoy. Bought a Marlin XT22 with the hardwood stock on sale at Cabelas a while back. Amazingly accurate little gun for dirt cheap. Have had nothing but fun with it. One of those warm and fuzzy guns for the safe, I suppose. Seems like those that own Cooeys have similar feelings about theirs plus all the history that goes along with it, but have never had the chance to try one.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:35 AM

My buddy showed me a few 22's in his collection.
This was the first years of the Ruger 10/22.
Lots of battle scars over the years, and accurate with the iron sights.

He let me test drive his new model Ruger, he takes it every where.

All that's marked on this unit is USSR 22 LR.
It was a hardware budget rifle, but it is still some accurate even too this day. 40+ years old if he recalls.

This tasco 4X scope was put on the same day he bought it, and it has covered some miles.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:39 AM

The Russian looks like s Vostok
Cat
Old 04-25-2017, 06:46 AM

Looking is one thing, so off too the 200 yard fun shoot with 10 ish mpr cross winds too see how they perform. Ha

The little white target is what we we're after. Both rifles sighted in at 35 yards, so lots of hold over too get us too point zero.

$2.88 a box of 50, so we launched a brick too dial in our skills for verman and iron targets coming up.

I'm rocking now with the frugal Bushnell Mill Dot scope on the loner Savage he lent me.
I'm just getting the hang of the smooth Acc-U-Trigger, I never thought I'd say this, but that Savage Mark II is a pretty strait shooter for a budget unit.

Not my idea of what I was looking too buy, but quality and price over all is kinda close.
Won't know until we pound some silhouette targets coming up.

Don
Old 04-25-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
Looking is one thing, so off too the 200 yard fun shoot with 10 ish mpr cross winds too see how they perform. Ha

The little white target is what we we're after. Both rifles sighted in at 35 yards, so lots of hold over too get us too point zero.

$2.88 a box of 50, so we launched a brick too dial in our skills for verman and iron targets coming up.

I'm rocking now with the frugal Bushnell Mill Dot scope on the loner Savage he lent me.
I'm just getting the hang of the smooth Acc-U-Trigger, I never thought I'd say this, but that Savage Mark II is a pretty strait shooter for a budget unit.

Not my idea of what I was looking too buy, but quality and price over all is kinda close.
Won't know until we pound some silhouette targets coming up.

Don
At that distance (200 yards?), I'd watch the wind...or you may find you're decorating the tailgate of that pick-up!
Old 04-25-2017, 10:01 AM

200 yards you say?
I got this!

Cat
Old 04-25-2017, 10:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
200 yards you say?
I got this!

Cat
With a 22lr? That's impressive.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
With a 22lr? That's impressive.
Couple of caveats here though .
This is NOT an off the shelf gopher/ partridge/ rabbit slayer that you can pick up at your local LGS for a few hundred bucks!
Also, at one time back in the day registered matches were shot at 100 and t 200 yards in smallbore match competition , and I used to shoot at 200 regularly when training for long range matches in full bore, because the 22 reacts about the same at 200 as a 308 at 1,000.
Oh, and that 10 meter air rifle target was placed in the center of a much larger black target so I could seen the darned thing!!!
Sure is fun however!
Cat
Old 04-25-2017, 11:08 AM
Banned

I have a Savage Model 6-S that was likely a first year, 1937, production. It is basically the same as your 6D, which was made after the war, but it does not have the "Gills" and the lifter is different. Gills and solid lifter were added shortly after, likely in 1938.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

I was introduced to these old Savage Rifles when I was about 10 and was amazed at how well my uncles Model 4C shot. I really liked it because it had a 5 shot clip and I could shoot the heads off of 5 sharp-tail without reloading. The story was that it had been brought to the Peace River country by my grandfather who died when I was about 4 years old. When My uncle died the old Savage went missing from his estate so I determined to purchase one of my own and soon found out that the "C" did not stand for "Clip" as I found a Model 4 and Catalogues that proved that it was made in late 1934 or early 1935. The Savage Model 3 ( 1930/31) and Model 4 were only drilled and taped for the Lyman 57S sight in 1933and 34. In 1934 the Stocks were shown with finger groves and in 1935 they were shown with a large forearm and the new Savage Peep sights were added.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Savage Model 4, 1934/35 with Lyman sights:
[IMG][/IMG]

Savage introduced the S sights on the Model 3B and Model 4 in 1935 and discontinued them on all models after WWII, likely when production moved from Utica, New York, to Chicopee Falls, Massachusetts, in 1947.I have managed to collect all but the Model 7S which was only produced from 1939until the Utica plant closed.
[IMG][/IMG]

1935 3BS:
[IMG][/IMG]

1935 3BST(Target):
[IMG][/IMG]

1937/38 3BS:
[IMG][/IMG]

Model 3CS:
[IMG][/IMG]

Model 4CS:
[IMG][/IMG]

Model 5S (1936/37):
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-25-2017, 04:24 PM
Banned

That is a nice collection Iclund1946. I should drag my 6D from the truck and post a picture.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:16 PM

Wholly crap Cat, that is some kinda nice track driving.
That is something I'd struggle with for sure.

But my friend lent me his pale of frugal cartrages as he mentioned he has had good luck with these.

Remington Golden Bullets in High Velocity.
22 LR @ 1010 fps with 82 ft-lbs energy at 100 yards. Hollow point 36gr.

Another day of 5ish mpr cross winds "with no tail gate" too accidental chip the paint off. LOL.

I never thought in all my days that changing bullet manufactors would make any difference in 22 caliber rim fires,,, guess I thought wrong.
Found out that frugal rifle and frugal 22 ammo go hand in hand.

This group was standing with single stick pole at 50 yards.
I can see some potential with these Remington rounds.

The rim fire 22 caliber has so many benefits that its too many too list.

So I'll keep it simple... Fun Factor 101.

Don
Old 04-25-2017, 05:20 PM
Banned

Oh! please dear Don, it's "cartridges" and "to"...........just saying.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:04 PM
Banned

A few pictures of this little treasured 6D.