Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-02-2017, 09:04 PM

Default Rod Weight Opinions

Getting back into fly fishing after a long hiatus

Found a good deal on a Sage One, however it is only offered in 4 weight on sale.

Soliciting opinions on the ideal weight for southern Alberta - would mainly be fishing within K Country, Mountain Parks and on the Bow.

Guess I am looking for a good "all around" weight.

Realistically I don't see a lot of BC fishing in my future but would be nice to have a rod which kept my options open.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:12 PM

I am new to fly fishing so perhaps take my opinion as you will. I currently am using a 6wt, but do a significant amount of fishing on the bow. If I was going to spend most of my time closer to the mountains I would think a 4wt would be quite sufficient.

I am also considering a purchase of a lighter rod ... perhaps 3wt for the tiny creeks in the mountains.

Let me know how it works out.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:24 PM

If you are into trout only,,,, a 5 wt will do just everything short of chucking big streamers long distances.

It's small enough to be a pleasure to fish on the spring creeks and small freestones, while at the same time man enough to handle big rivers and lakes.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:01 AM

It is a great rod. Not sure it is the best for throwing streamers and a nymph rig in the Bow (5 even 6 would be better). Great rod for the mountains and dries on the Bow though
Old 04-03-2017, 07:11 AM

6wt
Old 04-03-2017, 08:32 AM

A 6 is great for the Bow...and I do a lot of streamer fishing.

It can get the job done in the mountains as well. It's a little much but it works. It's tough to find one rod that meets all your needs, I am sure you'll most likely end up getting a 3 or a 4 for the mountains, but a safe bet to start with a 6 especially if you're primarily going to be on the bow.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:47 AM

That 4wt One will do just fine

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 04-03-2017, 08:57 AM

I think ideal weight for the areas you indicate would be 5wt. I just think a 4 is a little light for streamers on the Bow, and I would worry a bit about the frequent southern Alberta winds. I have a 5 and 6 (plus 8) and would love to have a 3 or 4, but not as my only rod. Now if you got the 4 and then picked up a 6, I think that would be perfect.

Now go ask someone who is a GOOD fisherman
Old 04-03-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer_Hunter View Post

Found a good deal on a Sage One, however it is only offered in 4 weight on sale.

Soliciting opinions on the ideal weight for southern Alberta - would mainly be fishing within K Country, Mountain Parks and on the Bow.

Realistically I don't see a lot of BC fishing in my future but would be nice to have a rod which kept my options open.
After a long time away the One is like a completely different sport than you remember. Most of us progressed to these fast technical rods but if you had given me One 15 or 20 years ago I probably would have just given it back.

I am a big Sage fan and in fact would grab a Sage One in 3 or 4 weight if the right deal came along, however I never did think it the latest and greatest. It will produce some incredible performance casts but for me it took too much concentration for an every day rod. It is a precision rod for technical dry fly fishing IMO where a person may only take a few casts an evening to very spooky fish. I have heard the 4 is one of the best in the One series but only handled it, never fished it. I spent a few hours on the river with a 5 wt. but liked my Z-Axis much more.

Be sure to check around as there are some good deals on One. I have noticed some awesome deals State side but the dollar may negate any savings.

And, if you have been away for a long while, be sure to handle some $100 -$500 rods as these modern versions will blow away most any rod on the market 20 years ago. Sage, Winston, Orvis, G Loomis and Hardy all have mid tier rods that employ technology that was top of the game just 5 or 10 years ago. They are often liked more than the flagship models. TFO, Echo, Fenwick, Redington and a few others have some rods that are inexpensive and only the top 20-30% of casters would notice much difference on the water and then only under demanding circumstances. Most all have a decent warranty as well.

As far as the Bow for weight goes, I would take a 6 if given the choice but a 5 would work especially if it had some back bone like Sage One. It would be a rare occasion that a 4 would be ideal. I watched a bunch of Bow River videos over the winter on the new smart TV and the "experts" are fishing streamers and dropper rigs 90% of the time. A good 4 would be perfect most everywhere else so I guess you have a decision to make.

If I had to buy One, I would probably get two.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:39 PM

4wt would be great for smaller streams and such. I have used my 8'6 4wt on the bow and probably won't again. I felt way to underpowered, hooked a really great fish and I could not get him to the net efficiently and he ended up bending the hook and getting off. It would definitely have been a PB and I wish I had my 5wt that day.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:24 PM

Minimum 6 wt for the Bow. If you can't present a dry fly with this weight you should stay off the river, especially when the water is warm.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:55 PM

I agree a 6 is a great rod for the bow..... but I fish it with a 4 weight and 5X tippet and still pick up 20"+ fish. You need to play and finesse the fish a bit more. Don't expect to make monster casts, though.

A 6 weight will let you get to fish further away, and bring them in faster.

I know several guys who fish the Bow with 3 weights.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer_Hunter View Post

A nice fast action 4wt is a great southern AB rod. If you plan on using it on the Bow, it will be usable unless you start throwing big triple stonefly nymph rigs or streamers. Unlike the mountain streams, where you can find some cover from the wind, but the Bow is wide open, and a 4wt sucks on a windy day. And there are a lot of windy days on the Bow.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
A nice fast action 4wt is a great southern AB rod. If you plan on using it on the Bow, it will be usable unless you start throwing big triple stonefly nymph rigs or streamers. Unlike the mountain streams, where you can find some cover from the wind, but the Bow is wide open, and a 4wt sucks on a windy day. And there are a lot of windy days on the Bow.
Yes... should have mentioned that myself. 4 weight for light line nymphing on calm days. With wind or when throwing streamers I move to my 5.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commieboy View Post
Yes... should have mentioned that myself. 4 weight for light line nymphing on calm days. With wind or when throwing streamers I move to my 5.
Doesn't matter.... just get it out there :/ I love to use a 5-6wt!
Old 04-09-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
I'm not that talented yet and just getting back into things so thanks for the perspective - probably a middle weight is a better all around choice
Old 04-14-2017, 01:29 PM

I mostly fish ab and bc and I am of the opinion that odd weights are preferable. I have a 3, 5, 7 (switch) and 9. The only even weight I have is a 6 weight which is purely as a one hand alternative to my 7 weight switch.I would say that a 5 weight is the most versatile rod in AB for most types of trout fishing.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:36 PM

Been flyfishing for 30 yrs and my go too rods are in 4 weight, I've caught tiny brook trout, to large bull trout on them, and they suit me fine! Any of the weights between 3 to 6 will work for southern Alberta! You may find that it's a bit harder to set the hook with a 3 weight, and that if your catching smaller fish with a 6 weight, your missing out on a good fight! If you plan on doing a lot of bull trout fishing, you may consider a 5 weight! If I'm dry fly fishing ONLY, I like my 3 weight rods, it's rare that a bull trout rises for dry flies during the day! I would say that if you can get your hands on that sage one for a good price, do it, you will not regret it!
Old 04-17-2017, 12:37 PM

I use 4wt on mountain streams and alpine lakes exclusively.

I agree, would use a 6wt for larger streamers, but still prefer a 4wt with dries even on a bigger system.

I find wind to be the biggest problem with the 4wt.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:31 AM

4wt is nice on the streams you want to fish, get a 6 if you want to hit the bow. I've fished with my 4 on the bow lots it works ok like the other guys said until you get into the bigger presentations.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper