Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-06-2017, 11:08 AM

Default Do you use a nock set?

Do you tie a nock set or just have your d-loop?
Old 04-16-2017, 10:02 AM

This is how I run mine. Served above and below, brass nock set and an endless loop.

Old 04-16-2017, 01:49 PM

Just a d-loop on mine, when I want to change it I use a pint pen and make a little white mark top and bottom just to make sure I get it exactly the same again.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:22 PM

[QUOTE=Coil This is how I run mine. Served above and below, brass nock set and an endless loop.

IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170416/d0ed6bfaba254f9262e7400642b15b20.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE

^^^ X's 2
Old 05-01-2017, 09:59 AM

Out of curiosity... What difference would it make? My bow has the brass ring (Nock Set?) and a d-loop.

I figured the nock set was just to ensure a consistent nocking point.

Still new, don't mind me
Old 05-01-2017, 10:20 AM

Just a D-loop. If you're wondering..................it doesn't move. Does it make a difference if you use a brass knock? All weight on a string robs fps. Not significantly, just answering the question.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:18 AM

Nope. Not necessary if tightened correctly. That being said, if it gives you more confidence, it won't hurt any either.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
This is how I run mine. Served above and below, brass nock set and an endless loop.

That looks like a lot of work. I run serving nocks above and below; 6 wraps below and 4 above with about 1-1.5 wrap space for pinch. Tie the d-loop around that and good to go.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen1817 View Post
Out of curiosity... What difference would it make? My bow has the brass ring (Nock Set?) and a d-loop.

I figured the nock set was just to ensure a consistent nocking point.

Still new, don't mind me
Yes consistent nock point. Other benefits are decreased nock pinch if you have short ata and long draw length, easier to change d-loop as well as you don't loose your point every time. The brass ones may decrease speed minimally, so you can tie one using some serving thread.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:31 AM

Yes, no brass just tied in. After having a d-loop break in competition I tied in reference points so I can be up and running within the 15mins allotted time.

LC
Old 05-03-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
That looks like a lot of work. I run serving nocks above and below; 6 wraps below and 4 above with about 1-1.5 wrap space for pinch. Tie the d-loop around that and good to go.
It's really not much work and I've got good reason to do it the way I do.

I was slow changing to D loops, I shot with just a single brass nock point from the early 90's until 2006 or 2007 but I was running fairly long ata bows. When I did switch over I didn't like how much maintenance they required but I didn't really think to much about it, I just replaced them as they wore. Then one day I had one come untied while drawing the bow. I was shooting through the house, into and across the garage so I could get a 25 yard shot but because I draw while pointed at the target I still managed to hit the target instead of punching it through the garage wall. The release and my right hand however smacked me in the mouth. I got lucky and didn't break any teeth but suffered a busted lip. I realize a tied loop shouldn't fail but gave up on them right then and there. I don't plan on ever going to the dentist to fix my mouth because I was to stupid to learn from the first failure and I don't subscribe to "if it was tied right it wouldn't fail". It's true, they shouldn't come untied but they do, or break and I don't care if it's infrequent because that release aid in the teeth can do some serious damage and I value fail proof equipment.
So I scoured the net for a endless loop and found these. I've been shooting them for about ten years and only have to install them when I put the string on. They don't wear out very quickly, this is the second one I've installed since I started using them. I just take them from bow to bow or one set of strings to the next when I need new strings. The first one I installed is still on my backup sting set and this pair of loops has been on a couple dozen bows and many sets of strings in the last decade. When I need to replace my serving I just move the rock-it loop up, remove the old serving, reserve and slide it back down. For about $8 I think they're a good value.
The brass nocking point is extra weight on my string but it gives me piece of mind knowing that nothing's moved and I've got plenty of speed with a 30" draw and 80lb speed bow. I'm moving a 530 grain arrow at 295 fps so it's enough.
Everyone gets to choose what they want to run and how failsafe their rig is. I've found what works for me and until I find something better I won't change it. If you've never thought about a nock set failing it's probably time to think about it. If you only tie it on with witness marks you've got to pay attention to the marks whereas when a elk comes rushing in on me I only have to shoot because I know my nock point can't move.
If you've had a nocking point fail and you still use them your probably a slow learner or haven't thought about your options.

Last edited by Coiloil37; 05-03-2017 at 03:08 PM.